No. It's definitely crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote (This evening, I planned (or rather attempted to plan) a simple route from Gloucester to Taunton directly on the Nav 6 using the trip planner app. I added a starting point, 11 waypoints and a finishing point. I click 'next' and get "Cannot calculate the route".)

A satnav, that cannot calculate a route, using its own internal app. Just what I wanted when I splashed out £650.

That's it. I'm done with it. It's been nothing but pain every time I've wanted to use it, both with basecamp and without. Total, utter, shite. It's going back for a full refund. Grrrr.[/QUOTE]

This is one way you can build a route using the device, and make sure all points are where you need them to be,

Create a route using shaping points

To create a route with shaping points on the device:

1 Touch Apps
2 Touch Trip Planner
3 Touch New Trip
4 Touch Select Start Location to add a beginning waypoint (Please note that the Start Location is not necessarily the point from where you'll be leaving. The Start Location will be the first point you would like to travel to.)
5 Use the various search options to locate the desired starting point
6 Touch Select
7 Click the (+) Icon to add additional waypoints to the trip
8 Follow steps 5 through 7 to locate and add up to 30 total points ( You must have at least three locations to create a shaping point)
9 Touch the orange flag icon next to a waypoint to turn this into a shaping point
10 Touch Next
11 Enter a name for the trip
12 Touch Done

A new route with shaping points is now saved to Trip Planner

You can also create shaping points in routes created through BaseCamp.

This is one way you can build a route using the device, and make sure all points are where you need them to be,

1 Touch Apps
2 Touch Trip Planner
3 Touch New Trip
4 Touch Select Start Location to add a beginning waypoint (Please note that the Start Location is not necessarily the point from where you'll be leaving. The Start Location will be the first point you would like to travel to.)
6 Touch Select
8 Follow steps 5 through 7 to locate and add up to 30 total points ( You must have at least three locations to create a shaping point)
9 Touch the orange flag icon next to a waypoint to turn this into a shaping point
10 Touch Next
12 Touch Done

You can also create shaping points in routes created through BaseCamp.

That's the first helpful post in the thread.

I have just asked my Nav VI to plot me a route from A (Gloucester) to B (Taunton). The device is set to fastest route, with no avoidances set other than to avoid unmade roads and U-Turns.

The device very quickly produced a simple magenta line A to B south-south-west near enough straight line along the M5 (not surprisingly) - a journey of 77 miles in an estimated time of 1 hour 15 minutes.

I then 'dragged' the route within the device to take me through six viapoints (shaping points) to ensure that the magenta line took me along roads that I wanted to use. This lengthened the route and its total estimated time, obviously.

Zooming in, I am confident that had I ridden the route the device would have done so perfectly. Of course I could have set my device to avoid mototorways, which would have avoided it taking the M5 in the first place. I could also have asked it to take the device to most direct route and / or to take windy roads. I didn't, only because these settings would bring in roads that the device chose for me ie it (not me) would decide what a windy road is and / or decide what roads are best if it's not to be the M5. That would probably have required me entering more than six shaping points as I'd have to overcome - by probably adding more shaping points - the device's desire to always take windy roads, say.

I can change the six individual intermediate shaping points to waypoints and back to shaping points from within the device itself at will. The start point A (Gloucester) and end point B (Taunton) are always waypoints, two fixed points.

I am confident that I could have added a shaping point (or shaping points) to take me past my house in central London whilst enroute from Gloucester to Taunton and include a stop off at my mum's in Stratford upon Avon, if I had wanted to, too. In short, I'm confident that the device, more often than not, would do exactly what I wanted it to do. Of course it might well have the odd glitch when it cuts a corner as to do so is two meters shorter overall and therefore quicker. Whenever possible, I would use common sense to ignore device given instructions to hoon off down an alley or cut across a lay-by (which the device's map read as a road) if and when I encountered them whilst riding; I being cleverer than the dumb device.... sometimes.

I can only suggest that Hubcap:

1. Tries harder to understand his device

2. Goes ahead with his intention to return the device to the vendor (attaching it to a brick and hurling it through their window, is always an option) and getting a full refund. Then he'll be able to chose a device more suited to his needs.

Have you had a Nav V? Is this behaving differently, or is this your first Nav? If you plot a route in basecamp and change the waypoints to shaping points before you move to the Nav, the Nav will not ask you to skip points. I have never experienced what you are describing with the Nav V, if I put a route in and stop as soon as I get going again it just starts from where I am. So unless the Vi is different to the V, you are probably suffering from the way you have plotted the route in basecamp. Not an expert though :)

OK. Sorry if this has been done to death before, but what are shaping points and how do you convert your waypoints?

The process I choose in Basecamp is to click new route and I use the draw tool (with stretchy line until you drop on a point). It works ok, but you do have to watch it compute as it can sometime take you strange places. You must have curvy roads off. And I can support the 'use the car' setting as being essential - I agree this is rubbish, it being made for bikes n'all.

[/QUOTE]

1 Touch Apps
2 Touch Trip Planner
3 Touch New Trip
6 Touch Select

10 Touch Next
12 Touch Done

You can also create shaping points in routes created through BaseCamp.[/QUOTE]

No idea why the quote thing didn't work as normal!!

We all live and learn! Although the turn to shaping point does not appear to work on my 390. Is this a feature of other models? This feature would certainly help those who must do everything on the device although it would make more sense if the default, after setting a start and arrival points, was that the others were shaping points which could be turned to waypoints if required

Personally, when I want to plan a route,I prefer to use a computer. This gives me a much clearer view of the route as it is being created. I use Mapsource which automatically creates via points and shows up any placed just off the route by showing up as a green dot on the map.

1, Select start point as waypoint
2, select destination as waypoint
3 highlight both in left hand section of Mapsource screen, right click to allow Mapsource to suggest route
4,using pointer, one left click on route brings up the "rubber band" moving the mouse moves the point,every time this is clicked on the map a via point is created.
5, keep adding points until the route is just as you wish
6, check for any green dots, these are where you hve clicked slightly off from the route, zoom in and move them onto the route.
7 download to device. All the via points will be unannounced so no need at adjust that.

To me the urge to do everything on the device is just like that to do everything on a mobile phone. The facility to do so might be useful if there is no alternative but I find the small screens and fiddly processes frustrating. I suspect part of the popularity of tablets is because of these issues. As I have said I travel with a small notebook computer, slightly bigger than a tablet but more versatile.

I always use Basecamp to plan routes. Last thing before transferring to the Nav is zoom all the way in and look for oddities, like shaping points in dodgy positions.

Every now and again I'll spot the "layby error". It's normally when the layby is in the inside of a long bend. Logically the Nav will take it as the layby is shorter than the original road and invariably not marked with a lower speed limit, so the GPS thinks it's faster.

The Nav/Basecamp will only ever be as good as the 3rd party map data that they use. If that data doesn't identify the layby as a layby then the GPS has no more information to go by and makes a logical choice.

I can't say I'm an expert on this stuff, but if you aren't paying attention as you're riding and you pull into and out of a lay-by, something is very wrong with how you're riding. If you see the sat-nav taking you into one, wouldn't you just ignore that as a glitch and carry on?

I've noticed, and have addressed, the issue of reliance on 'watching' the nav-sat as I'm riding. It's nice to know there's a hairpin 50 yards ahead. It also get's looked at when I'm looking for an op to overtake someone when twisty - it helps knowing there's a straight 600 yards ahead for example. Very useful through cities/towns. But I've found it takes some of the riding pleasure away if you're looking what's coming in advance all the time. So I've been trying to use it as little as I feel the need to and get an overview in my head before setting off. The 'map' brigade will be along shortly I suspect, but I don't want to carry, open, close, open, write, draw all the time and a map doesn't tell me where I am right now and exactly where the B&B is. However, I suspect they might enjoy their ride more than I do as they're employing some skills that are no doubt fun, to them. I like a map, my Surface tablet and my Garmin (even with it's foibles).

To me the urge to do everything on the device is just like that to do everything on a mobile phone. The facility to do so might be useful if there is no alternative but I find the small screens and fiddly processes frustrating. I suspect part of the popularity of tablets is because of these issues. As I have said I travel with a small notebook computer, slightly bigger than a tablet but more versatile.[/QUOTE]

+1

I absolutely don't pull into a layby and out without slowing. In fact I use common sense and ignore the GPS if it suggests doing that.

I was pointing out that I can understand why the GPS thinks the layby is quicker; shorter road with same speed limit.

Too many people take GPS as gospel. The brain in the rider should be more powerful than the one in the GPS, but sadly that's not always the case.

I tried by suggesting that it is very easy to put a point on your route in the wrong place .using the trip planner. And most experienced users on here will tell you that puting 11 waypoints in a trip is asking for trouble. Normally I would have only 2 waypoints, the start and the finish, via points are what you need to get the route you want without the problems that come with waypoints. I only ever put an extra waypoint in if I really must go there,maybe to meet up with a friend along the way. You never did explain why you put so many waypoints in your "simple route".

I plan my routes at home or, when on tour, I carry a small notebook computer - not much bigger than a tablet-I can read my Emails, check out dubious sites on the net and properly plan routes before downloading to my device. You should try it. Using the trip planner on the device can only ever be second best, why spend all that money and then not use it fully. You sound like you want it to read your mind, in time such capabilites might come but for now we all have to put some effort into learning how these things work.

You clearly are not prepared to even consider it might be user error. . Did you just post so we could all say "there, there, poor you.send the nasty SatNav back"

Sorry to disapoint.

John

Hi John,
Responding to your points.
1> I put more waypoints in because;
a: that is exactly what the senior support adviser at Garmin advised me to do to avoid issues with the Nav 6 arbitrarily departing from the planned route.
b: because I needed a route that was not a direct a to b route along the horrible stretch of the A38 from Gloucester to Taunton, nor the M5 on a bank holiday weekend.
c: I have plenty of experience where if you put just a single extra waypoint in, the unit tends to try to revert to the default route after passing that waypoint, e.g. the A38, even though the route it originally showed on the map did not.
d; In most tech, if you ask it to do something it's not capable of it will tell you rather than just say it cant do it without giving a reason. Nowhere in the user manual does it say the number of waypoints is limited.
e. I wanted curvy roads but knew from experience that the device chooses ridiculous routes when selecting curvy roads

2> I didn't use 'via points' because There's nothing in the instructions about how to do that on the device using the 'trip planner'. I don't know how to do that using the trip planner and I have had no advice from Garmin about that either. Not surprisngly, having read the user manual, I still don't know what the difference between a 'via point' and a 'waypoint' is.

What really annoys me is that it seems the only way to learn how to use this device is to fail, go on a forum, get 'have you tried this?' type feedback, and wait until the next trip, before trying different bits of advice.

3> I don't take my computer with me because:
a; mad though it may seem to you, I don't expect a satnav need one to function at a basic level, i.e. Take me from a to b, via c, d, e, etc.
b; having spent over 16 k on a bike plus £650 on its Satnav, I'm not minded to buy a little notebook as well.
d; It really annoys me that the device's apps are 2nd best. Honestly, Google maps on an iphone is better, easier, faster and more reliable. Co Pilot, 2nd to Google, is better and does not rely on a mobile / 4g signal.

Lastly, re your point user error, please tell what error I could have made when;
1: In fastest route setting I simply type in an address and press go, and it diverts me off, than back on to, the dead straight road I am travelling on?
2: I use the Trip Planner app on the device to enter what it allows me to enter (including 11 waypoints) and it fails to calculate a route? You show me anything from Garmin that says it can't handle 11 waypoints and I'll eat my crash helmet.
And by the way of course I don't want it to read my mind I just want it to do what it allows me to tell it to do.

Oh and finally, finally, why on earth when deviating from a route (e.g. to stop for a coffee) then going straight back onto the route, and it recalculates the route, why on earth does it insist on going back to the last waypoint? And might you possibly be able to understand that this causes delays, frustration and confusion, especially when the unit is r e a l l y s l o w t o render a map when you zoom out to try work out where the fuck one is located?

1 Touch Apps
2 Touch Trip Planner
3 Touch New Trip
6 Touch Select

10 Touch Next
12 Touch Done

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I did, and with 11 waypoints (which I had unknowingly converted to shaping points by the way , thanks for explaining that in this post). And that's how I got the result 'cannot calculate route'.

I absolutely don't pull into a layby and out without slowing. In fact I use common sense and ignore the GPS if it suggests doing that.

I was pointing out that I can understand why the GPS thinks the layby is quicker; shorter road with same speed limit.

Too many people take GPS as gospel. The brain in the rider should be more powerful than the one in the GPS, but sadly that's not always the case.

In my case the layby was on a dead straight road, therefore not more direct and not faster. Of course I didn't ride into it. I simply mentioned it as the most ridiculous example I have come across when using my Nav 6.

I tried by suggesting that it is very easy to put a point on your route in the wrong place .using the trip planner. And most experienced users on here will tell you that puting 11 waypoints in a trip is asking for trouble. Normally I would have only 2 waypoints, the start and the finish, via points are what you need to get the route you want without the problems that come with waypoints. I only ever put an extra waypoint in if I really must go there,maybe to meet up with a friend along the way. You never did explain why you put so many waypoints in your "simple route".

I plan my routes at home or, when on tour, I carry a small notebook computer - not much bigger than a tablet-I can read my Emails, check out dubious sites on the net and properly plan routes before downloading to my device. You should try it. Using the trip planner on the device can only ever be second best, why spend all that money and then not use it fully. You sound like you want it to read your mind, in time such capabilites might come but for now we all have to put some effort into learning how these things work.

You clearly are not prepared to even consider it might be user error. . Did you just post so we could all say "there, there, poor you.send the nasty SatNav back"

Sorry to disapoint.

John

Hi John,
a: that is exactly what the senior support adviser at Garmin advised me to do to avoid issues with the Nav 6 arbitrarily departing from the planned route.
b: because I needed a route that was not a direct a to b route along the horrible stretch of the A38 from Gloucester to Taunton, nor the M5 on a bank holiday weekend.
c: I have plenty of experience where if you put just a single extra waypoint in, the unit tends to try to revert to the default route after passing that waypoint, e.g. the A38
, even tough the route it originally showed on the map did not.
d; In most tech, if you ask it to do something it's not capable of it will tell you rather than just say it cant do it without giving a reason. Nowhere in the user manual does it say the number of waypoints is limited.
e. I wanted curvy roads but knew from experience that the device chooses ridiculous routes when selecting curvy roads

2> I didn't use 'via points' because There's nothing in the instructions about how to do that on the device using the 'trip planner'. I don't know how to do that using the trip planner and I have had no advice from Garmin about that either. Not surprisngly, having read the user manual, I still don't know what the difference between a 'via point' and a 'waypoint' is.

What really annoys me is that it seems the only way to learn how to use this device is to fail, go on a forum, get 'have you tried this?' type feedback, and wait until the next trip, before trying different bits of advice.

a; mad though it may seem to you, I don't expect a satnav need one to function at a basic level, i.e. Take me from a to b, via c, d, e, etc.
b; having spent over 16 k on a bike plus £650 on its Satnav, I'm not minded to buy a little notebook as well.
d; It really annoys me that the device's apps are 2nd best. Honestly, Google maps on an iphone is better, easier, faster and more reliable. Co Pilot, 2nd to Google, is better and does not rely on a mobile / 4g signal.

Lastly, re your point user error, please tell what error I could have made when;
1: In fastest route setting I simply type in an address and press go, and it diverts me off, than back on to, the dead straight road I am travelling on?
2: I use the Trip Planner app on the device to enter what it allows me to enter (including 11 waypoints) and it fails to calculate a route? You show me anything from Garmin that says it can't handle 11 waypoints and I'll eat my crash helmet.
And by the way of course I don't want it to read my mind I just want it to do what it allows me to tell it to do.

Oh and finally, finally, why on earth when deviating from a route (e.g. to stop for a coffee) then going straight back onto the route, and it recalculates the route, why on earth does it insist on going back to the last waypoint? And might you possibly be able to understand that this causes delays, frustration and confusion, especially when the unit is r e a l l y s l o w t o render a map when you zoom out to try work out where the fuck one is located?

The difference between a waypoint or a shaping point (via) is what your experiencing. If you have waypoints, you have to go through the waypoint, so if you deviate off the route for a coffee and start again, it will take you back to the waypoint you haven't gone through. A shaping point acts like a waypoint, but you are not forced to go there, so if you stop and start again you can just carry on with your route.

I have both the Nav5 and the Nav6, one on each being used on Bavaria's finest. Using the Nav5 solo I found was fine in most respects. However, when on a European tour a couple of years ago with a group of eight or so bikes, there were some issues. Everyone had been given the same route to upload, but due to individual settings and perhaps a fundamental lack of understanding of the devices used (predominantly Nav5's by at least half of the group) it was as though no two satnavs behaved the same, and raised some eyebrows at the end of some riding days as to different routes taken (we didn't all ride as one group).

Last month I went an a run around north east France and Belgium using my Nav6. I got along well with it, and even though there were two separate road closures, the gizmo handled the route changes admirably (I would have been stuffed - twice - without it!), and did what I expected of it.

I don't see much of a startling difference between the two, other than to say that for me, the reflection from the screen on the Nav6 is not an improvement from the Nav5 and I think both pieces of kit are vastly overpriced (the world of BMW).

I did discover that most roads were signposted too, with good information on where to go and which direction to take (a bit like 'Satnav for Dummies').... which also helped for the most part :D

1 Touch Apps
2 Touch Trip Planner
3 Touch New Trip
6 Touch Select
8 Follow steps 5 through 7 to locate and add up to 30 total points ( You must have at least three locations to create a shaping point)[/I]
10 Touch Next
12 Touch Done

This is exactly what I did, and with 11 waypoints (which I had unknowingly converted to shaping points by the way , thanks for explaining that in this post). And that's how I got the result 'cannot calculate route'.[/QUOTE]

Not according to your first post you didnt, sorry but to give answers to problems you need to describe what has been done to create the problem.

This is what you said you had done

This evening, I planned (or rather attempted to plan) a simple route from Gloucester to Taunton directly on the Nav 6 using the trip planner app. I added a starting point, 11 waypoints and a finishing point. I click 'next' and get "Cannot calculate the route".

as you can see no mention of converting them to shaping points.

you also confirm you did not use via points in post 73

I didn't use 'via points' because There's nothing in the instructions about how to do that on the device using the 'trip planner'. I don't know how to do that using the trip planner and I have had no advice from Garmin about that either. Not surprisngly, having read the user manual, I still don't know what the difference between a 'via point' and a 'waypoint' is.

So maybe you should start from the begining and tell us what you have done exactly.

Maybe it would be a good idea if you posted up the waypoints/shaping points from the said route you tried to create to see if anyone can replicate the fault.

Or maybe post up the track that it took that had taken 2 hrs longer than expected, it should be saved on your nav somewhere.

Hi John,
c: I have plenty of experience where if you put just a single extra waypoint in, the unit tends to try to revert to the default route after passing that waypoint, e.g. the A38

Dear oh dear! I just downloaded the user manual, I suggest you do the same, read it and then report back. You will find it at the bottom of this page Page 9 deals with the trip planner.

John

Hi John,

As Lee says in post #76, like Nutty on his adventures with Keith, this entire thread is heading all over the place....

I'll close it reasonably soon as the replies are becoming ridiculous, not least as many of the questions are covered in intimate detail elsewhere.

Failing that, just sell the feckin' thing. You'll be much happier. Trust me.

Can I ask what happens if you stop the route (i.e. press the Stop button) and then start it again (i.e. Where To / Trip Apps / Saved Route) during the trip. From what I have found, the nav will ask you what Waypoint you want to go to next. You will then only have one option, i.e your final destination. Does choosing that not then ignore all the shaping points that you have set and send you direct there?

That's been my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom