No. It's definitely crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
URL please. I don't believe that's Apple authored copy. You may have been fooled into thinking it was.

If you spent more time RTFM, the Nav 6 one... you'd know what your doing, we'd have been saved from this tedious thread and the poor bods at Garmin would not have to keep bittng their lips and reminding themselves that the customer is right and not a goofy plank.

maybe I'm stupid, but none of those seem too intuitively say turn off MacDonald's and such crap from the screen.
if I go into each of those 4 layers (5 if u include trip log) looking for ability to change stuff there is nothing that appears to let me play just a silly shrunk map with + and - buttons ???
The only nag I want is petrol stations, I can work out the rest myself.
And the clock isn't in 24hrs that makes me angry.
And can you kill max speed from vehicle info page? It was displayed on the speedo when I reached it, I don't need a record after the event. I'm not 3 years old any more...

But you write as though you are.

If the attention you give to your device is the same as that given to your prose I think we have found a common factor.

Some folk continually expect/need their arses wiping.

I thought that too... ( Autobahn , IOM unrestricted , a trackday etc etc )

BUT the truth is, that wont wash ! I'm afraid like many similar GPS devices, it stores your speed and location !

If the authorities wanted to view it , thay can !

They can't find anything just from the max speed display. I think the only date and time info available would be the history saved. As far as I am aware this facility is limited to recent trips. There is a facility to delete this anyway.

In theory the authorities could seize the SatNav on the spot and download the trip history, they could then see exactly where the device shows high speeds. I certainly can do this using Mapsource but as I said the records don't go very far back being limited to a few day's info.

My "lock him up and throw away the key" max speed was recorded in Germany two years ago. If I were to ride well above the limit now I would be erasing my trip history just in case but I would not worry about the max speed reading as there is no way of proving anything concrete from it. There is no way to prove the device was being used in or on any one vehicle. These are portable devices, if you take one on a plane and have it switched on you might get a very interesting max speed reading!

John

URL please. I don't believe that's Apple authored copy. You may have been fooled into thinking it was.

Most of the manuals are at this url https://support.apple.com/manuals/iphone keep expanding the bottom of the page to find it, in all honesty there are many, covering all the range apple do, its odd that for something that is so easy and intuative to use, you would think that your 2 page manual that covered every thing would be enough, there is even a finger tips guide as they call it that really is just a quick start guide that gives you just the basics its here https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA617/en_US/iPhone_Finger_Tips_Guide.pdf I had a look and its only 2 pages long would this be the manual you refer to that has everything in you need to know to operate an i phone.

Appologies Richard and all if my replies to hubcap have made this thread spiral out of sight, i will suggest to hubcap we take it to PM.

He, hubcap, can't do PM's as he's not a site subscriber, the £12 maybe being seen as a rip-off if all he wants to do is rant and moan, gathering around him other like minds, each more determined than the other to find fault with their premium priced, oh so complicated, piece of crap, that they were conned into buying, instead of staying with Waze - which always tells them where to go, which is why Uber drivers from Senegal use it to navigate Bristol - on their (expensive) mobile phone.

As to the rest? Crack on, as they say.

He, hubcap, can't do PM's as he's not a site subscriber, the £12 maybe being seen as a rip-off if all he wants to do is rant and moan, gathering around him other like minds, each more determined than the other to find fault with their premium priced, oh so complicated, piece of crap, that they were conned into buying, instead of staying with Waze - which always tells them where to go, which is why Uber drivers from Senegal use it to navigate Bristol - on their (expensive) mobile phone.

As to the rest? Crack on, as they say.

OxfordDictionary definition of 'Forum': A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
Just doing what is expected in a forum, Mr Wapping.

Cicero you ain't mate, trust me.

Yeah, we've all seen your view, listened to your many problems and frustrations and, not least, tried,where possible, to help you and others like you.

Now, have you taken it back and got a refund yet? Yes? Great, mate. No? Well, more fool you, as it's now just an expensive lump of plastic and widget shite, eating away at your soul and ruining your bikermate experience.

PS Talking of forums. We all know what happened to Caesar on his way there.

first i phone user maual is here http://pocketpccentral.net/pdfs/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf and its still 124 pages long amusingly or not its a fact. and its a fact that its still bigger than the 2 pages you insist it had that you say covered everything, and it only took all of 20 seconds to find. can you tell me the percentage who know it exists as i would like to know for reference as i dont know.
yes i agree most people can use an ipad or iphone very easily to do simple tasks make a call browse the web, its when you have to do something not so simple like coppy and paste or other similar functions that people may need the manual, i would bet diamonds if you gave your 95 year old dad an i pad before he had even used one or seen one he would not be able to do that without being shown or reading how.

With reference to Garmin being very small if you read what i had put it was a comparison to apple being as you have said, really big in fact. and if you wish to put it into perspective the figure you quoted for garmin is 861 million dollars and i agree that standing on its own is no small amount but in comparison (which is what i said) to Apple's worldwide annual revenue totaled $215 billion for the 2016 fiscal year it is relatively small.

apple did start small just the same as microsoft intell and indeed Garmin, but there was and is a massive difference between the demand for the very different products they produce. and that demand would have led to the difference in the size of these companies and there ability and speed at which they could grow and fund the brightest people to work for them to design and produce these very good items, also factor in that Apple was founded 10 years or more before Garmin which in the tech world is a lifetime they had infact a head start.

And apple seem to think that there phones are indeed not the easiest to use when first handled by a novice, this is from there web site pages.

How To Use the iPhone for Beginners

For people who have never used an Apple product, let alone a smartphone, using an iPhone can be an incredibly difficult and frustrating task. The iPhone is nothing like other phones, and is nothing like a Windows computer either. Simple tasks such as sending text messages and importing contacts can be difficult to a new iPhone user. Becoming familiar with the App Store and picking the right apps for you can become very costly if you don't know exactly how to use them before purchasing them. Many people complain that the battery on their iPhone only lasts a few hours. Did you know that enabling auto-brightness on your phone can extend your battery life by several hours? Or that closing background applications can extend your battery life and increase your phone's processing speed? Furthermore, many people are unaware that only charging your iPhone when the battery is near dead to a full charge can keep your battery strong for years.

Surfing the web on the iPhone can be a simple and enjoyable experience. Knowing the basics of using Safari and fundamental web browsing tools will make surfing the web very easy. This includes using multiple tabs, setting bookmarks, accessing mobile sites instead of the desktop versions, and accessing a website's app instead of its mobile version for easier use.

For a new iPhone user, who has no experience with newer Apple products, it can take several months to learn how to use most functions on an iPhone. The fact is, there is not much help out there for people who have not used the iPhone in the past. Many websites show marketing videos about all the cool things you can do with your iPhone, not HOW to do it. Unfortunately, you will never be able to truly experience all the great things you can do with your iPhone without a basic teaching showing you how to navigate it and control it. You may be able to take your iPhone, play with it a little, and figure out how to take a picture, but do you know how to share that picture with your friends? Or how to instantly upload it to your Facebook profile or create a photo album? Or what about removing the red eye in your photos or cropping them? All these things can be done with ease with our interactive teaching guide.

What is How to Use the iPhone for Beginners?
How to Use the iPhone for Beginners is an interactive video guide created by our AVG Development Team, which consists of several iPhone users of all ages that worked to develop a video that teaches the basics on how to use an iPhone. You can follow along while watching and learn how to use your iPhone in 30 minutes. By the time you are finished with it, you will have a full understanding on how to use your iPhone. You will have no problem surfing the web, downloading apps, watching videos, making phone calls, sending text messages, personalizing your iPhone, and exploring all your iPhone's features. In fact, we guarantee it 100%. Don't waste your time struggling to learn the iPhone's features on your own, you will waste a lot of your precious time and you may mess up your iPhone's settings. This guide will help you!

I think that about sums it up. there are a few lines in there that apply to lots of tech not just the i phone.

I'm afraid you are mistaken, Leedude.
The text above which you use to support your argument comes from a site that has nothing to do with Apple. It appears to be a site aimed at gullible people selling them a dodgy and ultimately expensive set of videos.
Unfortunately there are a lot of sites like this with a low initial price and then when you have committed to the initial purchase they charge a much bigger price to access the additional videos. I hope you didn't fall foul of that.

Apple don't charge for their guides or help videos. You can probably see, if you look at it again, that the site design, typeface and style of copy is nothing like Apple's. Not that Apple would be likely to write things like 'Simple tasks such as sending text messages and importing contacts can be difficult to a new iPhone user.' I'd have thought that would be obvious.

Furthermore the domain name applevideoguides.com looks like it is banned from renewing:

https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Name Server: ns37.domaincontrol.com
Name Server: ns38.domaincontrol.c

I'll take Wapping's hint though and park the argument here.

Last edited:
Sorry hubcap you should have made it clear as to what part of what i had said it was that you were trying to rip to shreds yet again that was false, in this case you are indeed correct looking back at that page it is not from apple i was WRONG i do not mind admitting that .
But if some people are willing to write or produce videos and guides to operate an in your words what should be a simple device it begs the question is it really that simple. including as you say (Apple don't charge for their guides or help videos) why on earth do they make them

I see you give no reply to your 2 page manual giving everyone everthing they need to know about there i phone, or your 95 year old farther being able to do what i refered to having never seen or used one, or any other of my comments that i had made to try and answer your questions as best as i could, but you were very keen on putting me down on a mistake, oh well never mind such is life.

You see you have now proved yourself to be the type of person i thought you might be, one who is unwilling to admit they are wrong over certain things and ungratefull to people who have tried to help, because their views do not fit in with yours, even when correct, I can take it on the chin when proved wrong and appologise, and will gladly bow to others superior knowledge over things i know little about.

You on the other hand, well i will let your own words give an example.

In a previous post by you you made the comment Quote ( I followed the link you kindly provided to seek out a manual for my Nav 6 on the Garmin site. Unfortunately Garmin do not list a manual for the device. I rest my case re shit Customer Experience and shit Customer education from Garmin. I would comment that while you accuse us of not listening, you don't look. ) and subsequently when a correct link was posted to the very manual you were asking about you replied with nothing, no thanks, no oh well done thank you for the link , no appologies, zilch , bugger all, not a sausage.

This is the type of person you are, sorry but i will make no attempt to help you any more.

Oh and here is a link to the thread should anyone think i made it up http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...me-Get-a-refund-or-persevere-with-pain-Take-2

If sat navs were properly designed and intuitive to use we wouldn't have threads like this - the length of this thread alone clearly demonstrates the fact they leave an awful lot to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom