No. It's definitely crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubcap

Reaction score
Last weekend I used my Nav 6 for a 150 mile journey. No exaggeration, it added at least two hours to my journey. Most comical error was using 'fastest' option, riding along the A26, it directed me into left turn off the A road, into a layby for all of 30 metres and then told me to turn left back on to the A road in the same direction.

This evening, I planned (or rather attempted to plan) a simple route from Gloucester to Taunton directly on the Nav 6 using the trip planner app. I added a starting point, 11 waypoints and a finishing point. I click 'next' and get "Cannot calculate the route".

A satnav, that cannot calculate a route, using its own internal app. Just what I wanted when I splashed out £650.

That's it. I'm done with it. It's been nothing but pain every time I've wanted to use it, both with basecamp and without. Total, utter, shite. It's going back for a full refund. Grrrr.

Sad to hear :(

I don't think anyone familiar with the V or VI would say they are 'user friendly'. More of an acquired taste!

Did you by any chance move up from a 550 or 660? If so, you need to forget everything you thought you knew about Garmin motorcycle satnavs! I don't know about recalibrating the unit - more a case of recalibrating the brain!

Once the frustration has subsided just remember that there are lots of happy users out there who you never hear from because they are happy bunnies. Somewhere in the anals of you Nav and maybe Basecamp something isn't set up right. I can't comment on your level of experience but you might find THIS useful. You'll need more than one brew though! :D

I can well believe it ...

I went to see Steptoe a few weeks ago.

From my place to his, is literally straight down the M3 and a small quarter mile loop at the end ..

Garmin showed the same.

5 miles from the destination , it decided to take me off the M3 and through the most bult up speedcam / roadwork / traffic congested route to get there .... WHY!!!

And ask yourself this ... how come the fastest route from your start point to to your

destination, is never the same route when comming back? - surely it should be? or

else you cant have come up on the fastest route in the first place?

I had a Nav v and after reading some comments here when the VI was launched I thought I would leave it abit before getting one. When I got a GS rallye in June, I negotiated a free nav VI in the deal.

Not had any issues at all. There was an incident outside Rotterdam were I had previously plotted a route through base camp. The route I wanted to travel on. I got a highlighted message on the screen indicating a quicker route to my destination , it could knock 1 hr 20 mins of it !! I don't want to use their route, I wanted to use mine, so I just turned it off and stuck to the way I wanted to go.

I am sure it a very complicated system it's far more adavanced than I am in terms of techno. But it's been perfect for me so far,as it's set up the way I want to use it.

It is complete shite and a worthless piece of shite at that

I will ease your pain and take it off your hands for £50 no lets be generous and go to £100

It could of course be user error

To be honest no satnav,s are perfect, at the end of the day they are all just a help when you are totally lost, or to find streets in places you do not know, or petrol pumps and hotels etc, but nothing beats having a good look at a map, then storing that in your head, and just using satnav, as really what it is, just an extra tool to help the brain when you forget a little, or in my old brain often lol, I would give it a chance, and wait till you really get the hang of it, I got a Nav6 and it is totally different from the TomTom I was used to, but it has a lot of features I like especially all the info linked to my 1200GS.

They just consume far too much time, far more than I want to waste - great accurate speedo though and will eventually get you to your destination if you are truly list - but apart from that far too much effort for not much return.

Having looked at a map I'm really struggling to understand why a "simple route from Gloucester to Taunton" would need 11 waypoints. Either you want to get there as quickly as possble using the motorway or, far more likely on a bike, you want to avoid motorways. Garmin have already thought of this and given you the option to tick an "avoid motorways" box.

If the route really needed all those points it would be much better planned on a PC using Basecamp or Mapsource. That way you could have had via points rather than waypoints and a route using whatever roads you wished.

John

They just consume far too much time, far more than I want to waste - great accurate speedo though and will eventually get you to your destination if you are truly list - but apart from that far too much effort for not much return.

Perhaps if you actually went somewhere off the beaten track you may have a different opinion..

I've never got on with either of my Garmins or Basecamp. I've been sent routes by friends when we've been touring in France, uploaded them onto my Nav V and the unit has completely ignored them. I'm with the OP and engineer, they're basically useless apart from getting you to a specific address, even when someone does take the time to learn how to use Basecamp snd then even longer to plan a roure on it.

I've never had such issues with either of my Tom Tom's however.

It could of course be user error

Do you still really believe that, Rick, despite there now being a few of us that are complaining that the 6 is complete shite? People that have used the Nav 4, then 5, and now the 6, so know how the Nav should work?

Not sure what to believe tbh all I know is that as there is no room on the hyper for a sat nav I am navigating the old fashioned way and it is somewhat refreshing to be back in the dark ages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never got on with either of my Garmins or Basecamp. I've been sent routes by friends when we've been touring in France, uploaded them onto my Nav V and the unit has completely ignored them. I'm with the OP and engineer, they're basically useless apart from getting you to a specific address, even when someone does take the time to learn how to use Basecamp snd then even longer to plan a roure on it.

I've never had such issues with either of my Tom Tom's however.

Which only proves you know how to work the TomTom and have yet to master the Garmin. Fact is a properly planned route can be shared between Garmin devices if those using it know how to set up their devices.

John

If I'm doing a trip rather than a journey to get somewhere I use Motogoloco.

It works for me because a trip is often know in advance and I can start plotting and refining and with motogoloco you can do that on several devices even though the eventual download maybe from just the one that's paired to your Nav.

BTW... in this instance I'm with Rick, user error seems very likely to have played a part, a 2 hour fuck up on a 150 mile journey requires a joint user and Nav effort.

Perhaps if you actually went somewhere off the beaten track you may have a different opinion..

If you really are 'off the beaten track' then you need a compass not a sat nav, otherwise a map and a brain is good enough. The only use I have made of the sat nav so far in the Picos is to negotiate my way out of the ferry terminal and onto the right motorway! - oh and as a accurate speedo to avoid upsetting the Guardia Civil :).

Which only proves you know how to work the TomTom and have yet to master the Garmin. Fact is a properly planned route can be shared between Garmin devices if those using it know how to set up their devices.

John

It actually proves that the Tom Tom is easy to use straight out of the box & that you've got to take the time (& a lot of it) to learn to use Garmin's over complicated software & hardware.

It actually proves that the Tom Tom is easy to use straight out of the box & that you've got to take the time (& a lot of it) to learn to use Garmin's over complicated software & hardware.

As someone who has used Garmin devices and software for 15 years I obviously have a different view than that of someone coming to Garmin from using TomTom. I know that both can work well but to get the best out of either system the user does have to learn a good deal. TomTom may be easier to learn but I find that is mainly because they are less adaptable than Garmin so have fewer set up options that could lead to problems if those options are not understood.

So, for me, my 390 is not "over complicated" it just has a range of set up options that allows me to end up with the sort of Sat Nav I find useful. In fact I could wish for a few more, avoiding narrow gravel strewn lanes would be good. I'd gladly swap that for the "curvy roads" nonsense!, but others might feel differently Again, for me, Basecamp is I agree,over complicated, and nowhere near as easy to use as Mapsource so I happily carry on with that system. I find Mapsource at least as easy to use as any of the non Garmin systems I have seen and has the advantages of using the same maps as on my devices and does not require an internet connection.

The fact is that most "problems" we experience with these devices are actually down the the dumb thing just doing what its owner (however inadvertently) has asked. There are exceptions, of course, software glitches are not unknown although they are usually fixed by subsequent updates and faulty units are always a possibility. I have always found that the acceptance of "operator malfunction" as a likely cause is the first step towards solving the problem whereas calling it "shite" solves nothing.

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom