My leaky rear end (pictures inside)

metropolis2k

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had the annual bike wash yesterday and noticed a fair bit of oil around the final drive. I stupidly washed the other side before taking a picture, and the sun made it a pain, but here's what the underneath looked like. There was oil on both sides of the shaft, the bevel box and on the hub face.

01XYSJpl.jpg

I took it for a quick spin last night and nothing new appeared so I'm guessing if there is a leak it's very slow. Any pointers as to what it might be and is it serious enough to book it in with Steptoe (assuming it's something I don't want to tackle myself)?

Check the oil levels in the final drive and gearbox. Should give you an idea where it may be leaking.

The other end of the spectrum is that all the Oil has already leaked out so even more inportant to check levels :eek:

I'm calling that inconclusive. Both oil levels were fine. I'll assume it's only a very small leak.

I ended up having to commute with it today and 30 miles later (and some fairly enthusiastic riding) and not a drop to be seen.

6 months later I think we've found the culprit

RdCvapll.jpg

(If you can't tell the bottom half is covered in oil)

Straight forward fix though. Iirc Steptoe has a "how to do it" in the font.

6 months later I think we've found the culprit

RdCvapll.jpg

(If you can't tell the bottom half is covered in oil)

When I had a bit of play n oil on mine I watched how to on you tube , but once I had got the cover off it was easy enough ... I was over thinking it I gradually eased up the big bearing with a cold chisel enough to get a 3 leg pullers in then pulled it off .. got the parts from motorworks n spoke to the guy about the tapered bearing he said they rarely fail but sent it any way n if I didnt use it sent it back for a refund .. put the whole crown wheel in the freezer over night n the big bearing in the oven for 20 mins took out crown wheel n bearing out oven with pliers then just dropped the big bearing on to the crown wheel n gave it a tap to make sure it was seated n that was it fitted the seal .. nailed it all back together n sorted :thumb2 easy :)

Cheers for the tips but I live about 2 miles away from Steptoe so I'm booking it in with him. It's probably further for me to drive to buy a 3 leg puller than it is to go to him!

. put the whole crown wheel in the freezer over night n the big bearing in the oven for 20 mins took out crown wheel n bearing out oven with pliers

Oven ... Freezer ....

Use an old sandwich toaster to heat up bearings... And gearbox cases, Can picked up at boot sales for a few quid. I buy everyone i see.

No need to put the crown wheel in the freezer overnight, a heated bearing will drop straight onto a "room temperature" crownwheel.

And the verdict was the bearing was on its way out. In fact it felt noticeably rough just pulling into Steptoe's driveway and then peed on his drive over night (sorry!) Not long before it would have been a more catastrophic failure so I'm lucky to have spotted the leak in the first place. All fixed up now and back on the road :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom