650GS-Single Oil Pouring Out from Filler Cap

ThePackTrack

Reaction score
Hey all,

I posted this in the parent forum but thought I'd add it here too.

I have an issue that I'm hoping someone here can help with. Today we went for a ride, mainly offroad riding around Mt Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. My wifes bike started to spirt oil from the filler cap after about 200kms of rough road (but nothing we haven't been dealing with for the last 8 months in Africa). When the oil cap was opened and the engine started again the oil was rapidly rising and overflowing. We waited for a while and tried again and everything seemed fine, so we continued the 40km back to our accommodation and it seemed to run fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

Cheers,

Stu and Janell
ThePackTrack.com

Its not really clear what you're saying about oil out the filler cap.?
Is it spurting out of the cap when its on whilst running.
Or is it spurting out with the cap off and you start the bike?

I don't think these things are designed to run with the cap off?

Its not really clear what you're saying about oil out the filler cap.?
Is it spurting out of the cap when its on whilst running.
Or is it spurting out with the cap off and you start the bike?

I don't think these things are designed to run with the cap off?

When the cap is on, its seeping out as if it is under a lot of pressure. Then when the cap is off and the engine is running it rises rapidly and overflows, this isn't normal, just at the idle we can usually run the engine without the cap and not be a problem.

Does that clear it up? At the idle this shouldn't happen and is a new thing for sure.

Cheers,

Stu

Rough roads, lots of bumps could push oil into areas it wouldn't normally go.
If you've ridden it another 40k's and the bike is running fine, then double check the oil level.

The only thing that would push oil out in my opinion would be crankcase pressure = broken rings / compression and oil.
If she's starting and running with no blue smoke and no loss of performance then there shouldn't be much wrong with the engine.
So double check oil level.

Rough roads, lots of bumps could push oil into areas it wouldn't normally go.
If you've ridden it another 40k's and the bike is running fine, then double check the oil level.

The only thing that would push oil out in my opinion would be crankcase pressure = broken rings / compression and oil.
If she's starting and running with no blue smoke and no loss of performance then there shouldn't be much wrong with the engine.
So double check oil level.

OK, yeah the engine is running well and has been, just the oil reservoir overflowing. We are thinking that the circulation is blocked and so oil isn't being drawn down from the reservoir back into the engine. We will check the hoses but will be doing an oil change anyway I think.

Sounds like overfilled with oil I had so many services at the dealers, where 2 and 3 times the amount of oil came out of the system when I drained them!! Remember you do not just look in the oil tank on these to check the oil level !!!!

Its vague now many years later after my workshop time at the dealer (and very much worth you checking absolutely on F650.com for the exact method)

Something like :-

Ride until @operating temperature

Put on centre stand and run in gear for 30 + seconds

Switch off and check oil level within 30 seconds

N.B Oil change is perfect!! Then you know you only havethe required amount in the oil tank / system

N.B.II Be careful when re-tightening the big "sump" drain lots of people have been brutal and ripped the threads out!

Sounds like overfilled with oil I had so many services at the dealers, where 2 and 3 times the amount of oil came out of the system when I drained them!! Remember you do not just look in the oil tank on these to check the oil level !!!!

Its vague now many years later after my workshop time at the dealer (and very much worth you checking absolutely on F650.com for the exact method)

Something like :-

Ride until @operating temperature

Put on centre stand and run in gear for 30 + seconds

Switch off and check oil level within 30 seconds

N.B Oil change is perfect!! Then you know you only havethe required amount in the oil tank / system

N.B.II Be careful when re-tightening the big "sump" drain lots of people have been brutal and ripped the threads out!

Hi mate, thanks for the reply.

The last oil change was nearly 10,000km ago and we used only the 2.3L that is required. Since then the level has been maintained, it uses very little oil between services and is actually a really well running bike. We do the service ourselves so we make sure it is done correctly, we trust very few people to service our bikes, they are too important to us while travelling.

Any other ideas?

If its like the funduro there is an extra oil strainer in the downtube of the frame which could impede flow out of the frame/resevior which would cause the symptoms you describe. I would check that (if it has one), and as it due an oil change I would change the main oil filter as well.

If its like the funduro there is an extra oil strainer in the downtube of the frame which could impede flow out of the frame/resevior which would cause the symptoms you describe. I would check that (if it has one), and as it due an oil change I would change the main oil filter as well.

Thanks, I'll check that and definitely change the oil and filter.

Back
Top Bottom