1100 -v- 1150 -v- 1200

stevem77

Reaction score
I'd like to do more challenging riding tours, some off-road routes, maybe dirt roads etc. Currently have an R9T which is a brilliant little bike (if a bit small for me), but I want to buy a GS for off road trips. I know I like the GS, test rode one in 2012 and almost bought it, handles well, feels good, loads of room etc and of course great engine which is what makes the R9T so nice.

BUT I don't think I want to ride the GS like I ride the R9T, I want to do far more challenging roads which will be slower and technically difficult. So I don't need the latest and greatest GS as it's going to go down at some point. I'd also like to go to Alaska, Canada, Asia and Iceland etc so keeping the R9T, I need a second bike which is for this sort of trip only, not pristine but must be reliable and able to withstand a few knocks and drops. I'm happy to add the usual protection etc.

Currently looking at 1150GS and maybe early 1200GS, but ought I look at 1100GS too ? Happy to spend a bit of cash on it first to sort out common issues but which is going to be the most economic, sensible and useful bike for this sort of use ?

I'd suggest that if all your gs riding is going to be off road a f might be be better. JJH

I'd suggest that if all your gs riding is going to be off road a f might be be better. JJH

I really like the boxer engine and don't want a chain again on a long distance bike, shaft drive and boxer it has to be.

I've ridden all the bikes and whatever it is about the 1150 it has everything just right for comfort. JJH

So do you want a light droppably bike, or a touring plus off road fire lane machine.

Thats down to how much you can afford.

Had a ride on a f gs this week, it was very flickable in comparison to the GSA, no shit sherlock!

Chucking a GS down a lane is down to how you feel about the bike. A GS will take you there but if it's just for lanes and tracks there are other bikes.

That said my 1100 nearly took me to the moon, great bike and never let me down.

R1200GSA TB

Interesting stevem77.

I have a R1150GS which will be ideal for what you want. It even has a 850 final drive fitted and I also live in Hertfordshire.

PM me and come round and take a look. Make me an offer.

Mine is the yellow one.

0xRU1MV.jpg

Steve,

The one advantage boxers have offroad is when you drop them the cylinders help you get them back again and again and again.
If your going to be riding alone, this may just save you being pinned under then bike.

After a while though they do get tiring to pick up. I never got around to doing this but my plan was to fit a plastic tank from the 1100 onto the 1150 to reduce the top end weight.
I still have the tank. Also have a second set of wheels to with some TKC80's on them ideal for swapping for offroad trips then swapping back to more conventional tyres for everyday use.

The boxers off road are a big, lumps that bumble over obstacles, that said I like others enjoy the challenge.

Logically JJH is right, but the F's just aren't R's if you know what I mean.

FWIW the headhead112gs offered quite a weight saving on the 11xx as well as a power gain. only downside being the GS got alloy wheels rather than spoked.

you've missed the R850GS .. although the final drive has been mentioned above

usually cheaper that 1100's as people think that they are slower

Thanks for all the suggestions and offers, very much appreciated :beerjug:

I'm not quite ready to buy yet - need to make space in the garage so a few weeks away. I think a R1150GS is probably the most suitable bike but I'm not sure about the 850 final drive ratio, most of my touring will still be on roads so perhaps the standard diff is more appropriate ?

I've had a 100 RT, 1100 GS, 1150 GS, and 1200 GSA and I've had a KTM. - Currently have a RNT Scrambler...

If my budget was < £3k I would be very happy with another 1150 GS....non Servo - Single spark around 2002.

I'd budget for a decent seat, suspension upgrade and Tobinators... Some soft luggage and sorted.

I think a R1150GS is probably the most suitable bike but I'm not sure about the 850 final drive ratio, most of my touring will still be on roads so perhaps the standard diff is more appropriate ?

The problem is the GS's first gear is really too high when it gets tricky. The only "fiddle" around this is to reduce your idle speed to about 900rpm from the 1050/1100 rpm stock. The trouble with this is that you have very little torque and it stalls easy. Also the oilheads have a dry clutch so you end up using it a lot. This is where the adventure is better, but higher in the saddle.

In the ideal world, you take on of the hybrid boxes forsale on here and build a light weight around it.

Having ridden the 1150gs and GSA offroad the lower 1st is definately better, but I prefer the lower seat height of the GS to the GSA (im only 5'10 so the GS fits me better and can get both feel flat on the floor and you need that latitude off road IMHO.

Incidentally, if you go onto the facebook page R1150gs owners a guy called John wilkinson is selling is Hp850 soon. Might breach your 3k budget though but a great bit of bike customising.

The problem is the GS's first gear is really too high when it gets tricky. The only "fiddle" around this is to reduce your idle speed to about 900rpm from the 1050/1100 rpm stock. The trouble with this is that you have very little torque and it stalls easy. Also the oilheads have a dry clutch so you end up using it a lot. This is where the adventure is better, but higher in the saddle.

In the ideal world, you take on of the hybrid boxes forsale on here and build a light weight around it.

Having ridden the 1150gs and GSA offroad the lower 1st is definately better, but I prefer the lower seat height of the GS to the GSA (im only 5'10 so the GS fits me better and can get both feel flat on the floor and you need that latitude off road IMHO.

Incidentally, if you go onto the facebook page R1150gs owners a guy called John wilkinson is selling is Hp850 soon. Might breach your 3k budget though but a great bit of bike customising.

Also it just happens ai have a late gsa cluster for sale with the all important enduro low first gear for sale. apply within

Back
Top Bottom