Thread: Anybody like St1100 Pans?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Anybody like St1100 Pans?

My new toy to go with my GSA wazzer

17 yr old only 31K.......last 4 years only done 1,400 miles, had one back in the 90's forgot how good the engine is.

Heated grips here we come for winter

Churffed to bits
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Life is for Racing, anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1971

Team Duvet

I had a working st110p it was so smooth loved it very heavy but like a GSA once you get going they just float did my IAM on it in Nottingham only problem I had was the drive shaft went

Good machines,I has one till a few years ago.Did you check the swing arm for rust holes?

Changed the swing arm for a replacement imported from a nice chap in California which I drilled and waxoiled and later on a Water pump and timing belt repalcement.

Caution : May stop suddenly

Reality you can rely on...
    I had a '97 ST1100... great to ride, excellent tourer, but the ABS pump went bang.

Luckily Honda paid for the parts (well out of warranty), over £1200 as I remember.

Various other 'unreliabilities' made it a bit of a liability, contrary to its reputation...

It was bought as a 'trade sale' from a well known BMW dealer in Herts... hmmm

The less said about that, the better

BMW K1100LT (1995).

Harley FXST (1989).

My Photos

More Photos

'What I'm out for is a good time,

All the rest is propaganda!'

Hi Andi, yes swing arm out, welded and 2 pack painted, only
    thing I had to do
    "Life is for Racing, anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1971

Team Duvet

ABS!!........who needs fancy gizmos like that, mine had real brakes
    Caution : May stop suddenly

If you take out the abs fuse, you can get them to wheelspin. Or so my wife claimed.

Had 4 (and 4 1300's inc current one) great bikes and good for proper miles, never had anything go wrong with the 1100's , clunky 1-2 gear change was the only thing I had but they were all like that (sir)

Had one a few years ago and it was responsible for getting the wife into enjoying pillion riding. It was a bit like a two wheeled car it was so smooth. The only thing I disliked was the weird negative pressure caused by the screen when riding solo. It felt like somebody was pushing me on the back.

I've had 7 of these ! Done most of the usual jobs on them inc ABS repairs. IMHO the ABS version is the better bike, but they're old now so buy on condition only. The ABS version from 1996 has much stronger brakes and more modern tyre sizes, the non-ABS came with cross ply tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dogs welcome

After poo pooing them as bland in the late 90's/early 2000's I have given in to the ST itch... Mainly for a ST13 after a slightly disappointing 12RT a couple of years ago, and finally trying an ST11 via a wonderfully gaudy gold 50th anni "project" earlier this year... Needed a new alternator and then a new swingarm, which was/is a shite design, then a new fuel tank which rusted in the 3" strip they all seem to rust in...! A couple of other jobs and mods and is a regular daily bike at still approx. £1500 owing... It has shown all the good and bad design aspects of the ST but has grown on me a fair bit... It'll never be VGC but has all the bins and the engine is still decently quick if revved and an all day fast cruise if not... I like the carbs feel and now understand the lean forward position a bit more after a couple of K miles...

It has an ABS fault but the brakes work fine and I have had to work some mods for my 6'5" frame as its designed for shorter folk than BM's... Overall a good bike still and a bike that needs riding rather than doing it all for you which is part of the fun of biking... Might try sorting the tired suspension next which will make it a longer term buy if I do but it still rides OK enough as it is...

PS Your one looks like the one I saw for sale in Scotland for 2K/2.5 ish with all the jobs done on it...?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigsby1 View Post
    After poo pooing them as bland in the late 90's/early 2000's I have given in to the ST itch... Mainly for a ST13 after a slightly disappointing 12RT a couple of years ago, and finally trying an ST11 via a wonderfully gaudy gold 50th anni "project" earlier this year... Needed a new alternator and then a new swingarm, which was/is a shite design, then a new fuel tank which rusted in the 3" strip they all seem to rust in...! A couple of other jobs and mods and is a regular daily bike at still approx. £1500 owing... It has shown all the good and bad design aspects of the ST but has grown on me a fair bit... It'll never be VGC but has all the bins and the engine is still decently quick if revved and an all day fast cruise if not... I like the carbs feel and now understand the lean forward position a bit more after a couple of K miles...

It has an ABS fault but the brakes work fine and I have had to work some mods for my 6'5" frame as its designed for shorter folk than BM's... Overall a good bike still and a bike that needs riding rather than doing it all for you which is part of the fun of biking... Might try sorting the tired suspension next which will make it a longer term buy if I do but it still rides OK enough as it is...

PS Your one looks like the one I saw for sale in Scotland for 2K/2.5 ish with all the jobs done on it...?
    Hi Wrigsdy1....not the one in Scotland, bought from the Manchester area, but does originate from Scotland???? Had it a few weeks now, best bit? Motorways muncher, that V4 is sublime, why Honda don't make a modern V4 ST designed Pan is beyond me...but! when back on the Wazzer GSA boy, how bikes have moved on!!!!!!!

Enjoy ya ST.

TD

Team Duvet

Quote Originally Posted by team duvet View Post
    Hi Wrigsdy1....not the one in Scotland, bought from the Manchester area, but does originate from Scotland???? Had it a few weeks now, best bit? Motorways muncher, that V4 is sublime, why Honda don't make a modern V4 ST designed Pan is beyond me...but! when back on the Wazzer GSA boy, how bikes have moved on!!!!!!!

Enjoy ya ST.

TD
    Yep, bikes are two generations on and the st13 looks dated now... I had a dct crosstourer for a few k miles and while the bike wasn't quite right for me the engine was a peach and the dct was made for a full st model... I like the 90's feel of the 11 and in retrospect they were really advanced for 1990 when they came out... K11rt's were the bm rival and while they are fine enough bikes are nothing like the st as a package...

I have two PanEuropeans - a 2001 ST1100A (Canadian spec) that I keep in Europe, and a 2012 ST1300 that I keep at home in Canada.

I bought the ST1100A new back in 2001 - it has 190,000 km on it now, never had a breakdown. I'm very happy with this bike, it will probably outlast me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just had a decent little trip to mainland Scotland mainly to move our canal boat but still fitting in a few miles for the hell of it... A good run in the cairngorm's and the st11 was easy enough to throw around and comfy with it... Irony of ironies is that I get home to find the main diff seal is leaking ha ha... Everything else is fine but the seal needs renewing... Must be years of bm's has rubbed off... Luckily it's less than a tenner...!!! Joys of Honda etc...��