Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone bought a new Macbook Pro recently?

Anyone bought a new Macbook Pro recently?

My awesome but very high mileage 2008 Macbook is due an upgrade.

Looking at options currently and wondered if any of you guys have bought one of the new Macbook pros with the touch bar and if so, is it any good?if you could, would you go back and buy the conventional keyboard version?

Alternatively, would a low mileage decent spec older version be a better buy?

When I bought my current Macbook there were only a couple of option so the decision was easy "I'll have one of those please" Now there's a myriad of possibilities!

All I do know is that I'll buy the best spec version I can afford to ensure it's as resilient to future progress as possible. If the new one lasts me as long as my current version I'll be a very happy boy!

Restoration and Paint services

07714 266 627

www.ctmotorcycleservices.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ctmotorcycleservices

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I had one, sold it, bought a macbook air (2015 model)

The only good thing about the touch bar is 4 ports.

Would I get the touch bar? Nope.

What would the use be?

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I've gotta say I do like the touch bar. I've had a play on one and it becomes very intuitive very quickly for switching between multiple apps when working.............for work use I can see it being a boon, for home? Mmmmmmm, maybe more a nice to have?

I've a what was a top of the range Macbook pro from 2014 and don't really see any need to 'upgrade' and to be honest, unless yours is getting shonky I'd have thought you'd be in a similar boat? Mine's still way more powerful than I need 90% of the time so imagine yours is the same?

Two things really put me off them though (and the first is true of mine);

Lack of storage ~ Apple trying to force you to use the Cloud. I refuse to so end up with external drives; outrageous IMO on such an expensive bit of kit but hey, that's Apple for you
    Price ~ With Apples's current pricing structure and the shit exchange rates new Macbook's are stoooooopid money.

Sooooooo..............if it was my money I'd not bother replacing but if I really wanted to I'd go for a late last gen Macbook (2015/16?).

Andres
    Doris doesn't give a fuck...be more like Doris!

I upgraded from the Air to the Pro with the bar.

Do you need it? No.

Is it cool to use? Yep.

You pays your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    I've a what was a top of the range Macbook pro from 2014 and don't really see any need to 'upgrade' and to be honest, unless yours is getting shonky I'd have thought you'd be in a similar boat? Mine's still way more powerful than I need 90% of the time so imagine yours is the same?
    Ah yes you're right but the latest software now won't run on my poor old girl so the OS will now just get further and further out of date.

07714 266 627

Quote Originally Posted by Tunneruk View Post
    Ah yes you're right but the latest software now won't run on my poor old girl so the OS will now just get further and further out of date.
    Ah, good point, but again..........unless you're using it professionally do you NEED the latest software?

Andres

Ah, good point, but again..........unless you're using it professionally do you NEED the latest software?

Andres
    No but all the software that I use and all the applications that are installed are starting to expect to be running on the latest platform so they're starting to get a little glitchy.

07714 266 627

In which case it sounds like you've talked yourself into one of these

Andres
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tunneruk View Post
    No but all the software that I use and all the applications that are installed are starting to expect to be running on the latest platform so they're starting to get a little glitchy.
    So what software do you need and or run?

Quote Originally Posted by andyscott View Post
    So what software do you need and or run?
    Safari
    Spotify
    Photos
    TomTom Home
    iTunes

And probably more ....

All of these apps have their own individual updates in order to keep up with the latest OS which I can no longer install on my 9 year old hardware.

07714 266 627

in that case the touch bar is way overkill

I would recommend a used air (2015 is the same spec as new). or even a macbook 12in.

Quote Originally Posted by andyscott View Post
    in that case the touch bar is way overkill

I would recommend a used air (2015 is the same spec as new). or even a macbook 12in.
    Yeah I have a fairly speccy 21.5" iMac that I use for any real sit down work / photo / video processing etc.

07714 266 627

when you decide what to buy ( a 12" macbook is what I recommend as you have an iMac), buy a refurb from the apple store. It's usually a couple of hundred cheaper than new and has a full warranty.

No different to over spec on a bike.

I have gone from a 15” Pro, to 13” with touchbar. It’s great after you get used to it. No doubt more gimmick than essential, but it is good.

If nothing else it's worth it for the smilies

Just need the forum to become compatible.

In which case it sounds like you've talked yourself into one of these

Andres
    Yeah it'd be nice eh, £2k though!!!!!!

07714 266 627

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast