In the market for a trail bike

g00ner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sold the G650X and looking for a new used bike for the trails. I'm used to trail riding but more of a bimbler than a racer. Regular trips are Kent lanes, trips to Salisbury and an annual weeks riding in the Pyrenees.

Numerous previous rides though my favourites were a Gas Gas EC200 and a WR200 so both lightweight two strokes.

This time I want similar light weight without the hassle of premix, longer range (120 miles if possible) and best quality suspension I can get. Magic button too..

Budget us up to £4K but hopefully nearer £3.5k to allow for a tank upgrade / suspension rework

So far I've considered a 2013 EXC-F250, same in 2011 year (cheaper and low miles /hours) and an EXC 500 :)bounce1)

Also test rode an elderly but restored EXC 525, nicely done but wasn't convinced.

Anyone with experience of riding the above can give me their views? Have I missed the obvious choice? Should I give up and take up knitting :thumb2

Opinions welcome :D

Last edited:
What put you off the 525?

I've had two (MXC & XC) with the 13 litre OE tank both fantastic trail bikes that can really get a wriggle on across the Plain :thumb2

CRF?
450R with SS valves and springs will go forever.
Plenty out there been converted to road legal.
So best of both worlds.
17's for play days, OE for green lanes

What put you off the 525?

I've had two (MXC & XC) with the 13 litre OE tank both fantastic trail bikes that can really get a wriggle on across the Plain :thumb2

To be honest I just think I want something newer :nenau

CRF?
450R with SS valves and springs will go forever.
Plenty out there been converted to road legal.
So best of both worlds.
17's for play days, OE for green lanes

That's a Honda? Never considered it, ta

Back
Top Bottom