Tyre woes.......

Do you recommend the TA II's? Arsey said he's happy with his.

Tyres are sooooo personal, but yes, on the R (18"/21") they are for me the perfect tyre. I love them.

But.......Giles really liked/likes the Trailsmarts so I tried them on his recommendation and hated them with a vengeance. Now I grudgingly admit that Giles is an ok rider so they can't be shit tyres if he likes them.......can they? They just didn't do it for me.

So, in short, the TA II's are brilliant but that's just my opinion.

Andres

There's been a few mentions over on AdvRider; the ones that have reported the issues had these fitted on the bike from new. Those that have sourced them elsewhere are very happy with them.

Yep, it's on both sides. Tyres inflated to the specified pressures, and checked before each ride. I've also got the pressures constantly displayed on the computer, and they are where they should be.:thumb

Pressures as in - handbook pressures ? or pressures reccomended by Pirelli?

only reason i ask, i have heard that between the two there sometimes can be differences, which can have an effect on the tyre life

Tyres are sooooo personal, but yes, on the R (18"/21") they are for me the perfect tyre. I love them.

But.......Giles really liked/likes the Trailsmarts so I tried them on his recommendation and hated them with a vengeance. Now I grudgingly admit that Giles is an ok rider so they can't be shit tyres if he likes them.......can they? They just didn't do it for me.

So, in short, the TA II's are brilliant but that's just my opinion.

Andres

I agree, it's a very personal thing. Some riders like to feel a bit of movement underneath them, others hate that and want that rock solid shit to a blanket feel. And some expect to get 6k + out of a rear whilst others are happy with 4. As you say, it's what does it for you ...

Pressures as in - handbook pressures ? or pressures reccomended by Pirelli?

only reason i ask, i have heard that between the two there sometimes can be differences, which can have an effect on the tyre life

Handbook pressures. Tyre life is one thing, but the tread is peeling off on these. Not good.

Love the TA 2s that I had on my GS , my favourite tyre by a long way. Would've put them on my Crosstourer to replace the PR4 Trails that came on it but my tyre gut persuaded my to try the Bridgestone T30 Evos as I don't need a trail pattern...

Thanks guys, I'll give my dealer a call first, as they may have heard of this already. If they can sort it, I'll swap both to the TA II's. Failing that, I'll get on to Pirelli, and see what they say.:thumb

Hated original 1190 tyres in the wet. On Roadsmart 3s now and love them wet or dry, but been running Roadsmarts for about 8 years, currently KTM on 3s vstrom on 1s and Mrs bike on 2s so probably a lot down to familiarity with brand as much as actual competence of tyre. But I know what I like and I like what I know.

Just taken another pic to send to the dealer/ Pirelli tomorrow....:eek:

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 333
Are they a dual ply setup? It look's as if heat generated in the middle section has caused the outer section to fail

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Are they a dual ply setup? It look's as if heat generated in the middle section has caused the outer section to fail

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure, but someone has put a picture of large chunks missing from his rear tyre on the other forum, so there's more coming out of the woodwork.

Interesting thread, as I have a different (and much less dramatic issue with the rear on my bike).

4.3K miles and although it looks fine, it's starting to slide a little when exiting bends progressively (at throttle openings which never caused any issue before).

I have noticed that it seems to have squared off a little in the last 500 miles or so (again, not something I usually see on my tyres because I don't do a lot of commuting).

To an eyeball inspection it looks to have plenty of life left but the slight squaring and occasional slide are telling me to change it and, at 4.3K miles, I have no complaints with doing so.

Am leaning more towards a pure road tyre though;
Conti Road Attack 3 / Dunlop Roadsmart III / Metezler Roadtec 01

Don't suppose anyone has tried any of these on their 1290?

Interesting thread, as I have a different (and much less dramatic issue with the rear on my bike).

4.3K miles and although it looks fine, it's starting to slide a little when exiting bends progressively (at throttle openings which never caused any issue before).

I have noticed that it seems to have squared off a little in the last 500 miles or so (again, not something I usually see on my tyres because I don't do a lot of commuting).

To an eyeball inspection it looks to have plenty of life left but the slight squaring and occasional slide are telling me to change it and, at 4.3K miles, I have no complaints with doing so.

Am leaning more towards a pure road tyre though;
Conti Road Attack 3 / Dunlop Roadsmart III / Metezler Roadtec 01

Don't suppose anyone has tried any of these on their 1290?

I was thinking of the Road Attack 3's, but as I tend to do a lot of riding down back roads with grass & gravel strewn all over them, reckon the Trail Attack would be better for me.

Re my front tyre, I spoke to my dealer just now, and he's going to call KTM/ Pirelli this morning to see what they say.:thumb

I was thinking of the Road Attack 3's, but as I tend to do a lot of riding down back roads with grass & gravel strewn all over them, reckon the Trail Attack would be better for me

I tend to want to get off and walk when I see that kind of stuff :aidan

So the Road Attack will probably be on there next. ;)

Looks like 'cold tear' to me, where the compounds change between centre & edges. Usually happens when the bike is ridden hard before the tyre has had a chance to warm up evenly. My mate suffered this in Spain with his 'Busa & we were worried that it would delaminate - thankfully, with a few hundred miles of gentle use, the rear tyre cleaned itself up sufficiently to live another day & get him home.

Given the mileage on this tyre already, replacement seems the only viable option.

I had the same tyres on my Multistrada and didn't have any issues but my experiences from riding big sports bikes on the road plus racing suggest that tyre problems like that come from suspension settings more than anywhere else.

Your bike has semi active suspension (or at least I think it does) so maybe the base settings are wrong for the rider weight, riding style and road temperatures? You'll not be able to check on this without either going to someone who is good at setting up the suspension or changing the tyres for identical ones and altering the suspension but if it was my bike I'd leave the tyres on it and let a suspension guru see them on the bike and check the settings.

The dealer (Premier KTM) has spoken to KTM, and they've authorised a new front tyre.:thumb

So, I'll order a replacement rear, either the Trail Attack 2, or the new Road Attack 3. Anyone used the RA3?

Anyone used the RA3?

No - but that's probably what I'm going to go with next, so will be very interested to see what you think of them.

Yep, I know this post is worse than useless to you, but I'm very pleased to have someone else test them before I get my wallet out :p

I found the continental that came on my 1190 so scary in the wet I will never buy another tyre from them.

Been splashing around the ardennes on Roadsmarts this week with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom