Public Liability Insurance

Nice 'n' Fat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was looking at having a stand at a local Autojumble but the organisers are insisting on all vendors (both Traders & Autojumblers) having Public Liability Insurance. They're also insisting that documented proof of said insurance is kept on display in the vehicle at all times whilst on their site :blast

I've never had the need for Public Liability Insurance before so don't really know where to start? I only want to sell a few bikes bits from the back of my van so it's never crossed my mind that I would need to be insured to do so. Plus, WTF am I insuring against and how much is this likely to cost me? :nenau

All advice gratefully received :D

Public liability insurance, for a private individual selling some bike bits???

A good broker should be able to advise, but it normally covers you up to £5m. Although, if it isn't a business and more a hobby selling kind of thing, you may find that you've already got PLI within your household insurance.

I'd hazard around £100 ish for a year.

Bit like people who do a War and Peace risk assessment, it is being done to cover their arses, not to identify and mitigate risk.

Perhaps asking the organisers the rational behind this, after all an auto jumble without auto jumblers is just a field !

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

If they were organised they would buy a blanket policy and then charge a small fee to each person without their own insurance to cover the cost. if they continue this they will find their autojumble excludes the private individual and it becomes just another trade tat event that eventually dies.

Sounds like far too much hassle. Just bang it all on eBay. Then use the time you've saved to do something enjoyable.:thumb:D

There are a few car boots around here asking for it now. Perhaps they have had some dodgy people trying to claim off them?

There are a few car boots around here asking for it now. Perhaps they have had some dodgy people trying to claim off them?

Bikermates, probably.

If Bikermate (Fat) Bob from Barnsley rips his very expensive Rukka suit (or so much as scratches his favourite arse scratching finger) on the nail sticking out of your pikey wooden table, weighed down with tat, he'll claim from you for damages, hurt and injury. Trust me. It's the way the world works now.

Bikermates, probably.

If Bikermate (Fat) Bob from Barnsley rips his very expensive Rukka suit (or so much as scratches his favourite arse scratching finger) on the nail sticking out of your pikey wooden table, weighed down with tat, he'll claim from you for damages, hurt and injury. Trust me. It's the way the world works now.

Do I sense an anti Northern bias here? I do hope not:green gri

Believe it or not you are probably insuring against anyone being injured whilst visiting your stand :nenau. Mind you these days they'd probably try saying they had food poisoning after visiting you :D

On advice I need to check my Household Insurance policy as it has been suggested that I may be covered for Public Liability within said policy :confused:

Just imagine the consequences if a cyclist should collide with your pasting table full of assorted autojumble dream offerings.

Fuck You and your pasting table bollocks

My farkle table is of the highest quality being a metal legged Homebase 'special' :D

I would think that Public Liability should be the "Organisers"

It is their "venue" per se!

I would hope that it would be Definitely their problem if they are charging you a fee to present at the "venue" ??

I don't disagree but unfortunately, on this occasion, it is a prerequisite for being allowed a pitch to sell my shite :blast

On advice I need to check my Household Insurance policy as it has been suggested that I may be covered for Public Liability within said policy :confused:

Probably only if you are holding your sale of tat in your kitchen or the garden. Even your shed, bathroom, loft or drive will do. There again, you'd have to be found negligent. The legal expenses section might help you fight the allegations but again, only if the unfortunate event occurred within your castle.

How very dare you !

The Autojumble Association Ltd sound like a very honest and forthright bunch to me but I will pay attention to their T&C's very closely ;)

Looks like the organisers have gone the cheap and cheerful root for their own insurance

177f6b396bfe322ccf787696c49844f6.png

http://graham-sykes.co.uk/carboot-insurance/

Back
Top Bottom