New HTPC ?

Walowiz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been using a home built HTPC for about 7-8 years now - and its been fallutless for all this time, running Windows 7 (now) and MCE, with 2 TV tuners and connected to a NAS.

But it's a big old lump in an ATX case and I'd like to build something with a smaller footprint that still has the ability to record TV., anyone done this, got any recommendations, before I go surfing overclockers, scan, avsforum etc looking for inspiration / ideas ? :thumb

I used to be the same but I now run an nvidia shield tv with Plex as the server and front end along with a homerun tuner. It just works which is a lot more than the windows box sometimes did. The only thing I do different to you is I don't use a NAS I have a 4tb drive plugged into one of the USB ports. Shield also works as my network storage as it shares the drive.

I used to be the same but I now run an nvidia shield tv with Plex as the server and front end along with a homerun tuner. It just works which is a lot more than the windows box sometimes did. The only thing I do different to you is I don't use a NAS I have a 4tb drive plugged into one of the USB ports. Shield also works as my network storage as it shares the drive.

That's an interesting approach is the homerun tuner this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...hd+homerun&dpPl=1&dpID=41Rok1aw-uL&ref=plSrch ?

Do you use it for recording TV ?

I'm wondering if this on its own would do the job, might not even need the nvidia shield

I guess the only thing missing is the internet on the tv - which we have now.

Yes that's the tuner, there are others that work as well. And yes I can record, pause and rewind live TV via Plex. If your tv can use dnla and all you want is tv recording then yes the homerun would work. If your tv can do that though then chances are it will record to a USB drive as well and save you the cash.

Back
Top Bottom