Roadside help needed.....

Well, if you can get it to a dealer, or to be honest any mechanic, it's a very straightforward job to replace a shaft and no special tools needed.......good luck!

Andres

Thanks...

It's possible to get a shaft DHL from UK to Tromso. Problem is I'm a mechanical idiot, with limited tools and only one good arm so things are limited.

Looking at getting it Tromso via the ferry at hammerfest. If the dealer can't help then it may be an option to get to Bergen via the same ferry.

Maybe ask the dealer at Tromso if you can ship the shaft from Steptoe etc directly to them, and let them just fit it, really feel sorry this has ruined your trip.

Yes, wheel lug-bolts would have been my first thought, although Neil's suggestion about freeing the brake off by shoving the caliper to one side with your foot is a diamond tip. Then all you hear is the whispering of the wheel bearings. Another Plus Point for Steptoe's practical experience.

Sorry to hear about your problems, hope you can get it sorted. I've been recommending Carole Nash for ten years now, after the way their recovery got me home after my 1100GS spat its gearbox oil out all over my rear wheel about 90 miles south of Calais.
But reading your experience of them, I think I'll be looking elswhere to renew the insurance on my RT in a couple of weeks. It will never get anywhere near Norddkapp, that's my FJ's job, but there are principles to be considered here.

Sorry to hear about your problems, hope you can get it sorted. I've been recommending Carole Nash for ten years now, after the way their recovery got me home after my 1100GS spat its gearbox oil out all over my rear wheel about 90 miles south of Calais.
But reading your experience of them, I think I'll be looking elswhere to renew the insurance on my RT in a couple of weeks. It will never get anywhere near Norddkapp, that's my FJ's job, but there are principles to be considered here.

I've used Carole Nash for the past 15 years, and have been recovered from Austria and France without a problem. I rang them before we left for Nordkapp to make sure they covered Finland and Norway, and was told they do.

What they don't tell you is their budget for any recovery in Europe is limited to €2000, and anything over this has to be paid by yourself.

Hmmm... that's a bit naughty of them. Words will be had with them when I ring to renew, they need to be informing us of stuff like that.
Hope you manage to get back OK.

I know it's of no help to you now but I also use CN for a multi bike insurance and would probably use them for local breakdown but I also pay around 90 Euro for the brilliantly efficient ADAC (covers driver & passenger) and they cover everywhere in mainland Europe.

Maybe PM Liv off of here or Kawanor, there's maybe a spare lying in someone's garage closer than you think :nenau

Hope you get sorted out and get on with the trip.

Any update?

Sorry for delay in replying - been travelling. Got the bike back Monday evening. Changed my ferry booking from Stavanger to Thursday, then rode from Tromso to Stavanger in three tough days. Got to Hirtshals Friday morning and should get home tomorrow (Sunday) .

When we get sorted I'll post a report with some photos - despite the breakdown its been one hell of trip!

Back
Top Bottom