GS Alarm Problems

burnsey66

Reaction score
Had the alarm fitted to my Rallye a couple of weeks ago and it just goes off constantly!

Obviously, it can be turned off pretty easily, but that’s not exactly the point. Bike sat iat in my garage, with no wind, etc, god knows why it keeps triggering. Can’t imaging what it would be like at the side of the road, or in a car park.

Any others find the same?

Can sensitivity be adjusted?

Stock alarm, with no ‘button’ option, just auto sets.

Is it a non BMW Alarm?

No OEM.

Bought one with my Scrambler, but never fitted as it was back order and sold the Scrambler. BMW checked and fully compatible, so I supplied and they fitted at first service.

If you have the on board computer you can turn off the alarm via the switches on the handle bar. There should be a fob to manually turn the alarm off and on.

I once ordered with a n R1150RT with a factory fitted alarm. When the dealer was delivering the bike to me I asked where the fob was and they told me that there wasn't one. Checked the bike and confirmed an alarm was fitted. They promised to order a fob. I went home and was looking about the bike to familiarise myself with it, put my hand into the rear cubbie hole where the alarm control box was only to find 2 fobs cable tied to the box. Some PDI eh.

So check for a fob somewhere about the alarm installation.

Yes, understand the OBC turn off option, but this defeats the object somewhat.

I have keyless, which has a ‘button’, but was advised this particular unit does not provide one. The alarm just sets itself. I think I need to pop into BMW and see what they say.

If you have the on board computer you can turn off the alarm via the switches on the handle bar. There should be a fob to manually turn the alarm off and on.

I once ordered with a n R1150RT with a factory fitted alarm. When the dealer was delivering the bike to me I asked where the fob was and they told me that there wasn't one. Checked the bike and confirmed an alarm was fitted. They promised to order a fob. I went home and was looking about the bike to familiarise myself with it, put my hand into the rear cubbie hole where the alarm control box was only to find 2 fobs cable tied to the box. Some PDI eh.

So check for a fob somewhere about the alarm installation.

How old is the alarm maybe the batteries 2x CR123A lithium 3V are low that might make it act strange, if it is this type of alarm.

How old is the alarm maybe the batteries 2x CR123A lithium 3V are low that might make it act strange, if it is this type of alarm.

Brand new!

Works fine, but if I can't leave it set in my garage, it will live it's life turned off. I'll get the bike to the dealers I think...

Yes, understand the OBC turn off option, but this defeats the object somewhat.

I have keyless, which has a ‘button’, but was advised this particular unit does not provide one. The alarm just sets itself. I think I need to pop into BMW and see what they say.

BMW switched from an alarm that could be armed with the fob from a K1600GT to the current alarm which can be controlled via the keyless fob. The only other possibility is that you have an alarm from a pre LC era. Guess how I found this out!

It was supplied as new for the RNineT a few months ago, so should be current, but I'll have to have it checked.

My Rallye came with the alarm factory fitted. I arm it by pressing the middle button (the BMW logo) on my keyless ride fob. The hazards flash to indicate it is armed. I don't need to disarm it as long as the fob is in range I just start the bike and ride off.

I only use the alarm when I'm off-island but not had any false alarms.

My Rallye came with the alarm factory fitted. I arm it by pressing the middle button (the BMW logo) on my keyless ride fob. The hazards flash to indicate it is armed. I don't need to disarm it as long as the fob is in range I just start the bike and ride off.

I only use the alarm when I'm off-island but not had any false alarms.

It is looking like they fitted the 'wrong' unit. I'll speak to the dealer and report back, as that is what I'd prefer.

Mate just came round and he said he changed the battery in his keyfob as he had a similar problem, and problem went away

You mean your bike is not keyless

The bike is keyless yes.

The alarm unit was included in the purchase of an RnineT, but was never fitted.

Bought the Rallye new and asked the dealer to fit the alarm from the previous order.

They fitted it and advised it was correct for the bike, but does not offer a fob setting option - just sets and unsets with the ignition activation.

Works through the OBC fine, flashes on the dash etc. Also it goes off, so it's working to a degree.

The bike is keyless yes.

The alarm unit was included in the purchase of an RnineT, but was never fitted.

Bought the Rallye new and asked the dealer to fit the alarm from the previous order.

They fitted it and advised it was correct for the bike, but does not offer a fob setting option - just sets and unsets with the ignition activation.

Works through the OBC fine, flashes on the dash etc. Also it goes off, so it's working to a degree.

Looks like only solution is the one you know already take it back to them, I suppose it could be a faulty motion sensor.

Its my understanding from reading about these alarms when I was considering getting one is that Bikes with keys [not keyless] and alarms use a timer to set it once the key is removed from ignition. The older alarms used to be adaptable to a keyless enable/disable using a K1600 fob but later alarms had this option removed by BMW.

This said yours sound like its faulty if it spuriously activates unless its picking up a reduced voltage in the system possibly.

Back
Top Bottom