Thread: 6th gear

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

6th gear

Can somebody tell me please what revs you are doing at 80 mph in 6th gear please on ones Twin cam RT ? many thanks Pauly
    Al Jesse panniers for sale , fits a 1200 GS /GSA Air cooled £450 posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad biker View Post
    Can somebody tell me please what revs you are doing at 80 mph in 6th gear please on ones Twin cam RT ? many thanks Pauly
    Sorry taken a while to remember to do this.

I have 2014 RT LC - not sure if this is the same as yours? I am doing indicated 80mph at 4400 rpm and 80mph on the garmin satnav at 4500 rpm.

Hope this helps

Puggy

Thats interesting as the gsa is doing about 5k. time for fd change me thinks.My 1150 was doing 4k at 80mph in 6th overdrive.

Nomad yes I had an 1150 and it had a really tall 6th gear - fine on the motorway but too tall for anything else! All cross country done in 5th or lower. Great bike though. Did over 100k miles before I sold it. Ran really well.

i wonder if i lower the ratio wether the fuel economy will improve?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad biker View Post
    Thats interesting as the gsa is doing about 5k. time for fd change me thinks.My 1150 was doing 4k at 80mph in 6th overdrive.
    Yes, this was the near enough best geared BMW. Still not good, but better than the later ones or any 1200.
    BMW have never since produced a properly geared touring bike.
    They install a 5 and a half speed gearbox suitable for drag racing.
    Why 5 and a half speed? 500 rpm drop between the first 5 and 250 between 5 & 6.
    Bike so high geared in first that one cannot take off on a hill with a passenger on board without smoking the clutch. So bad that Police refused to take the bikes until a lower first was installed, which later became common across much of the range.
    They never cured the "rev itself to death" 6th gear. An overdrive 6th would have been lovely, but they don't think like that.
    I have a 1200RT, and would love the combination of police first and an overdrive 6th for relaxed cruising, but it will never happen.
    Myke

Quote Originally Posted by Myke Rocks View Post
    Yes, this was the near enough best geared BMW. Still not good, but better than the later ones or any 1200.
    BMW have never since produced a properly geared touring bike.
    They install a 5 and a half speed gearbox suitable for drag racing.
    Why 5 and a half speed? 500 rpm drop between the first 5 and 250 between 5 & 6.
    Bike so high geared in first that one cannot take off on a hill with a passenger on board without smoking the clutch. So bad that Police refused to take the bikes until a lower first was installed, which later became common across much of the range.
    They never cured the "rev itself to death" 6th gear. An overdrive 6th would have been lovely, but they don't think like that.
    I have a 1200RT, and would love the combination of police first and an overdrive 6th for relaxed cruising, but it will never happen.
    Myke
    speak to mikey boy, i bet its possible.im gonna change my fd when funds allow.

6th gear

Some adventure models had a low first gear. All others were the same.
    I'd love to see a gearbox with internals like they use in bicycle hubs. Epicyclics have far more load capacity than parallel shafts and very little backlash.
    But it's not done like that on motorbikes. So we get more of the same.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750