f800 engine

mrjim130

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking at buying an F800S, is the new black engine much better than the early silver unit.
Should I be looking at paying the extra to get the late engine?

Dont recall the F800GS having a silver engine, are you thinking of the old F650GS which had a completely different engine ?

I don't recall too many problems with thiese engines. The earley ones should all be sorted by now. I've had a couple of these bikes a st and gsa with absolutely no engine trouble. JJH

Dont recall the F800GS having a silver engine, are you thinking of the old F650GS which had a completely different engine ?

I did say in the post F800S not GS, I believe it to be basically the same unit. I've read there were issues with the silver engine. Piston slap.

I spoke to an F800 rider earlier this year and he confirmed the very first F800's suffered from piston slap. This was sorted by BM he is not present in later models. It's ironic that piston slap has never been an issue with the GS range despite the two models having similar power outputs

The Mothership are said to be about to launch a new F850, initially a GS I think but will doubtless spread across the lightweight range. Said to have a 270 crank to ape a V-twin, but accurate details are sparse.

That said, there is nothing much wrong with the existing 800 motor (360 crank). All early issues now seem sorted. Maybe not the most exciting power delivery, but does the job well, is reliable & very economical. Dare I say some even claim they prefer the baby GS to the R1200GS as a go anywhere machine, but I suspect the pricepoint might be the main influence.

Back
Top Bottom