New Africa Twin DCT

I don't have the panniers .they're mainly for crash protection and for others to help drag me out of ditches :D. I'll use them as soft luggage supports when the time arrives :thumb

Will be collecting my new Black Africa Twin DCT sometime this week (hopefully later today or tomorrow if they have it ready).

Been reading about the DCT benefits and so far I've found the following, can you think of any more?:-

DCT Advantages

- Automatic Gearbox with Manual Overide for comfortable no hassle progress
- No fatigue on left hand on long journeys as no clutch use
- When dropped, no damage to Clutch or Gear Levers (as there aren't any)
- No Stalling
- Continuous drive up steep hills with auto gear-changes for best traction
- Seamless traction between gear shifts
- Faster accelleration
- Easy to commute in heavy traffic
- No pulling in clutch lever at Lights or Junctions so can do other stuff while stationary
- Easy gear-shifting while stood up
- No struggling in stop / start conditions
- Easy hill starts when fully loaded
- No clutch or gear lever related maintenance (cables, levers, reservoirs)
- Proven technology since 2009

DCT Disadvantages

- 13kg heavier than manual version
- New 'skills' needed to adapt to this technology
- Can't bump start bike if flat battery

Will be collecting my new Black Africa Twin DCT sometime this week (hopefully later today or tomorrow if they have it ready).

Been reading about the DCT benefits and so far I've found the following, can you think of any more?:-

DCT Advantages

- Automatic Gearbox with Manual Overide for comfortable no hassle progress
- No fatigue on left hand on long journeys as no clutch use
- When dropped, no damage to Clutch or Gear Levers (as there aren't any)
- No Stalling
- Continuous drive up steep hills with auto gear-changes for best traction
- Seamless traction between gear shifts
- Faster accelleration
- Easy to commute in heavy traffic
- No pulling in clutch lever at Lights or Junctions so can do other stuff while stationary
- Easy gear-shifting while stood up
- No struggling in stop / start conditions
- Easy hill starts when fully loaded
- No clutch or gear lever related maintenance (cables, levers, reservoirs)
- Proven technology since 2009

DCT Disadvantages

- 13kg heavier than manual version
- New 'skills' needed to adapt to this technology
- Can't bump start bike if flat battery

Did you read that in a manual?

If your changing the screen be very careful not to let the little grommet bolts at the bottom get pushed through into the fairing like I just have. Looks like a whole lot of work to retrieve it .
View attachment 353296

So you fell for it too :D

I went to the dealer buy a replacement (about £4 each I think). In the end the tech went round the back and grabbed me a few, so I now have some spares.

Good tip about not unscrewing them fully though, I'll do that next time.

Did you read that in a manual?

Nope, there is an Africa Twin DCT thread on another forum where they are discussing the DCT compared to Manual Transmission.

Thought I'd pick out the highlights and add it to this thread, so you don't have to read 14 pages like I did.

Nope, there is an Africa Twin DCT thread on another forum where they are discussing the DCT compared to Manual Transmission.

Thought I'd pick out the highlights and add it to this thread, so you don't have to read 14 pages like I did.

Will there be a weaponised Africa Twin thread?:p

So you fell for it too :D

I went to the dealer buy a replacement (about £4 each I think). In the end the tech went round the back and grabbed me a few, so I now have some spares.

Good tip about not unscrewing them fully though, I'll do that next time.
If you change screens you have to undo them fully. Its not a problem IF your careful

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Or you could just wait until it arrives, ride it and then you'll know one way or another rather than hours trawling the net...

Or you could just wait until it arrives, ride it and then you'll know one way or another rather than hours trawling the net...

I like spending hours trawling the net. It's what Laptops, Tablets and Smartphones were made for.

When I get the bike later this week, I'll be better informed about how to get the most out of it straight away.

Never rode a DCT, going to be interesting for me :bounce1

I like spending hours trawling the net. It's what Laptops, Tablets and Smartphones were made for.

When I get the bike later this week, I'll be better informed about how to get the most out of it straight away.

It's a whole new world and not like any other bike. It takes a lot of getting used to if you've been riding with a clutch for a very long time. Enjoy it it's a very capable bike and very well balanced. When pushing it around and then pushing my 1150 around , the old GS feels like it's almost double the weight even though it's actually lighter.

Ill second that. Forewarned is forearmed...I'd rather know something about what I am discussing rather than discuss something I know nothing about..Learning is fun.

Ill second that. Forewarned is forearmed...I'd rather know something about what I am discussing rather than discuss something I know nothing about..Learning is fun.

Come on, Don, you know that’s not how the forum works!:D

mine comes thursday! ....must admit im rather exited about the DCT Gearbox ....

mine comes thursday! ....must admit im rather exited about the DCT Gearbox ....

Collected mine yesterday. DCT is brilliant fun.

Some observations which might help you.

Firstly, use your rear brake EXACTLY how you would normally feather your clutch. So when in slow traffic or pulling away onto a mini roundabout, get on your rear brake first and modulate it against your throttle. You cannot stall it, so it will load the drive-train against the resistance of the brake and 'feather' the power that way. Works perfect and it'll prevent a pogo action if you use the throttle only. Rear brake is now extremely important.

Secondly, when parked on sidestand, use your parking brake to ensure it doesn't roll off it. It's easy to use and a new item to get used to using.

Thirdly, select your Mode. D for Drive, S1, S2, S3, Fully Manual. I selected mode S2 coming home as it held onto revs a bit longer. BUT USE THE MANUAL OVERIDE PADDLE BUTTONS, especially on approach to roundabouts to engage lower gears and engine braking. Its seemless and so much fun.

This thing should be sponsored by Playstation !!! haha

Oh... and another thing which is really ace.

On the BMW GSA Gear Shift Pro, on downshifts you have to have a zero throttle. It'll then auto blip into the lower gear and full engine braking is immediate.

On the Honda DCT (in addition to above) you can also maintain your throttle position and then flick into a lower gear seemlessly. This means you can forward plan and then roll off on engine braking exactly when you want it, in a more controlled way. It's another layer of finesse.

I like it.

:thumb2

Oh... and no clutch lever to pull in when coming to a stop. No creep in drive, so you just TWIST and GO. It's fast !!

Can't help but laugh, I was on the throttle and manually up-shifted through to 6th gear and didn't feel a single gear change, it's just like one big gear.

:bow

Back
Top Bottom