Thread: Off road school vfm?

Off road school vfm?

Is the BMW one the best bang for the buck. I know Yamaha and Honda do one, but I have never ridden off road so want a course where the bike is provided (sweet lamb dont rent) and hopefully have some gear I can borrow as well. Mainly boots I guess, as I have textile kit

thanks

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I did it years ago, enjoyed it and thought it was OK VFM as I just turned up and rode. Have a look at http://www.adysmith.co.uk/
    I'm likely to have a day or two with him in Spring before taking the plunge and getting something like a CRF250

Did the Yamaha one several times years back where you get bikes and kit - can't comment on kit as always took my own. Always found them good, fun days, with lots to learn, although once I ended up on a 125 two-stroke race-prepped machine (YZ? Can't remember), which I found a pig to ride. Much preferred the WR250Fs. The instructors there know their stuff and there's plenty of different terrain too. I'd recommend it. Not done the BMW one yet.

Thanks will take a look

I have used the BMW Wales site three times [six days] they are excellent tutors and I enjoyed it every time,Great if you plan on using a large bike off road.Due to being unable to book this late there Ive made a booking for the Honda AT Place in South Wales for October so I will see how that goes.
    Caution : May stop suddenly

No idea about the BMW one but I've done days with Geraint Jones on Yamahas and Mick Extance on Kawasakis and both were good though overtaking Mick may lead to him kicking your front wheel and putting you into the scenery. Not at a fast spot but he did it to a friend of mine all the same

Slightly more on topic, if I was going to be riding a BMW off road after the course I'd do one on a BMW rather than a lighter enduros bike which is a different animal.

If, you're take a gs off road do the bmw course. Much less worry bending someone else's bike.

If it is just off road skills; all the manufacturers pretty well run one now, and will all be to a similarish standard.

Have a hard think about what you want to get out of your day's training and why, be honest about your abilities and fitness level. I have seen far to many waste their time and money on the unachievable.

I would suggest sticking to one closest to home for your first try, I can recommend, in no order or preference, ktm, bmw, motoscotland and mick extance.

Good luck and enjoy yourself, it's supposed to be fun !

I've done the BMW off road skills level 1 and 2 courses down in South Wales. Can't praise them high enough, especially level 1 if you need confidence on a big bike. The skills and confidence really improve road skills as well and make slow speed control seem far less daunting on a bike bike.

Price for next year has gone up slightly to £519 but well worth it for two days tuition and a bike loan
    Caution : May stop suddenly