Weird thing happened with my route today

Becksy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a regular 3hr route when I just fancy a quick blast around the greatest hits of the Cotswolds. Its programmed in Basecamp and loaded to my Nav. For some reason today, on my Nav it decided to completely ignore some of the shaping points I had set, which it has always followed before, I was heading to Moreton when I thought this isn't right. It was just heading directly to the Waypoint I had set in Burford, missing out all the prior shaping points (which are set don't alert). (When I forced myself back to the route I wanted and reset the Nav, it then started to follow them). Anyone any idea why?

If I read it correctly, you created a route A to B on your computer using BaseCamp. This was a three hour route, which had a pre-set start point (A) and a pre-set end point B in Burford. A and B are, by default, fixed. Between A and B there was a series of unannounced via points, used to shape your route when you created it. You stored this route on your GPS device.

I suspect:

1. That when you summoned up your route on your device, you might have been sitting some way off it

2. You were asked to chose your destination from one of the only two available choices: A (your pre-set start point) or B (your pre-set end point at Burford)

2. That you chose (B) Burford as your destination.

Your device then did as it was instructed to do, taking you from wherever it was you were when you started, straight to Burford, along a route it created based on your preference settings.

It's a common enough error. There are ways to help to avoid it. The simplest way is to look at the route you made, its shape, distance and total estimated time to ride. Then look at the route the device offers up when - in your example - you chose B. If it looks very different to what you expected then there's probably a very good reason why.

If does look very different, then you can fix the problem in several ways. Maybe the simplest is to do the equivalent of the old verbal instruction to: "Please drive to highlighted route". To do this:

1. Fire up your GPS

2. Summon up the A to B route onto the screen but do not run it

3. You'll be able to see your position cursor and the magenta route

4. Navigate yourself onto the magenta route, using the screen as a map, just as you would using a paper map / common sense

5. When you are sitting on the route, then start running it

All should then be well

Hi Wapping.

Yes, as you stated at the end, I did exactly that to get back, I navigated to where the route was.

My route was actually A to A via B (being Burford), with B being waypointed, and all the other points being shaping points.

When I started the route I was at the beginning of the route (which I have been before). I had three choices of destination, the start (A) the end (A) and the waypoint (B). I chose the waypoint as the destination. I understand that if you should pick the second option on the list when following a trip on the Nav. So it should have taken me to B via my shaping points.

I guess that maybe it didn't as it didn't have a lock on my location?

I compared the route on the device to Basecamp when sat in my kitchen before leaving and it was the same. It was when I put it on the bike that things went wrong. Weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect you may well be right. For whatever reasons, your device decided that you were not on your route, so it routed you directly to B, Burford. Try it again and report back, please.

Back
Top Bottom