Basecamp route calculation in Motorcycle mode

parkys100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello
I am unable to successfully plot a new route of long distance in motorcycle mode selected on the top tool bar.If it is nice and close no problem.When I choose driving (car) it seems to work?Any ideas what I am doing wrong please:(

All those options are is a way for basecamp to store different profiles for different purposes. Things like avoidance etc may be set differently between your bike and car profiles. Check those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello
I will untick a few of the avoidance boxes and see how I her on?Thank you for the pointer.

Motorcycle mode is known for strange routing, set Basecamp and your GPS for Car mode and fastest time and you will be fine :thumby:

Motorcycle mode is known for strange routing, set Basecamp and your GPS for Car mode and fastest time and you will be fine :thumby:

That's what I found too, shame because the ability to have two different sets of settings would be useful.

John

I believe the unit will always recalculate the routes you load into it, so apart from your waypoints it will always go by the avoidances and the driving mode you have set in the unit. Best to remove most if not all of the avoidances in Basecamp unless you can keep them consistent with your unit.

I believe the unit will always recalculate the routes you load into it, so apart from your waypoints it will always go by the avoidances and the driving mode you have set in the unit. Best to remove most if not all of the avoidances in Basecamp unless you can keep them consistent with your unit.

Yes that is what I would expect and want. I want my routes to follow my preferences not someone elses

Doing what you suggest makes no difference to my problems with the bike mode. I don't often use Basecamp anyway as I much prefer Mapsource but I did try all sorts of options to solve the problem including loading a route from Basecamp that was drawn with all preferences off. Nothing worked.

What appears to happen is that a route will download correctly but even the slightest deviation from that route produces a re calculated route that make no sense, often taking in some random point miles from the original route. When this first occured I was actually on the correct section of road but Garmin had the old road layout so according to the Garmin map I was all of 2 metres off route!

Also using the device funnctions to create a route to known points produced either nonsense routes or a message saying unable to calculate.

I made sure every setting on the device was the same for both modes but still the device worked perfectly in car mode and was all but useless in bike mode.

I am sure there must be some software issue here, something that changes when bike mode is selected. Whatever it is appears to be hidden. I just run in car mode, hopefully Garmin will sort it one day though as two modes with different preferences would be very useful.

john

I read some other thread on here that was talking about strange routing. My Zumo 350 never has had these problems.
Check you have traffic service disabled and also any "curvy roads" routing disabled.

I read some other thread on here that was talking about strange routing. My Zumo 350 never has had these problems.
Check you have traffic service disabled and also any "curvy roads" routing disabled.

Don't have traffic services and never ever use the curvy roads option so I can discount those as a cause.

John

Back
Top Bottom