Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Gael Warnings in West Africa.

Wot Larks Pip! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Thanks, both, for the clarification

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Thanks lads - a great write up.

We're off to Morocco next April so have taken a few notes Jim.
    We have some friends who have a house in Gambia and it's been a long held ambition to ride out there one Xmas so it's really nice to read your write-up Simon.

Thanks all! I have just started a belated report of the second stage, through Senegal and Guinea-Bissau. My guilt forced me into action as I am headed back to The Gambia Monday week for the third leg, East to Ghana and beyond 🤞🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Thanks Jim & Simon..
    Whenever I see a report from you guys I know I'm in for a treat & this one certainly was.....

Safe travels..
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Cheers Ash!

Sadly Jim is staying in Europe for now, but hope you and others will follow the next chapter in the separate report 'Gaels return to West Africa'. I plan to be back there on Monday, and heading East...

Fantastic stuff... Always a treat for us deskbound dreamers!!

Thanks for taking the time..

R

Well the first test was passed. GS started on the button once I reconnected the battery

So off to Dakar tomorrow...

Good stuff!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nice one, Simon..... safe journey!

It has to be said this trip is off to a mixed start!

Before we took off from Gatwick to Banjul, 6 or 7 people were arrested on boarding the flight so we had an hour delay while their bags were found and offloaded.

Then in Banjul I threw my iPhone on hard tiles and shattered the screen, so as this is my only link to the world I am typing the blog on what looks like a spiderweb!

And finally I found when I entered Senegal today that I had left my driver’s license at home on the scanner (where I was sooo organised I was scanning a copy for backup).

I hope that’s my three!

After an early night last night (I had been up early after all!) I packed up the bike and was ready for an 0800 depart, headed for the dreaded Barra ferry across The Gambia river

Ready to ride:

I used Garmin rather than common sense to get to the ferry which meant going through the Serrekunda morning rush hour which was more interesting than enjoyable.

The ferry was lively

but I ended up at the front and early off

I chatted to 3 different guys whilst queuing: one a shrimp salesman crossing to buy shrimp; a guy off to sell secondhand shoes; and a third, who ran a tourist boat, was off to the naming ceremony of his stepfathers newest baby.

Then it was a short ride to the Senegal border. A Gambian police woman pretended a fine was due because a stamp was missing from my passavant but I told her that was not happening and she said no more!

Senegal entry was going well when the very new and very keen customs woman said I could only have a 72 hour passavant! I showed her my previous ones where I was given 20 days and after phoning head office we settled on 5 days which was a pain as I need more like 6 or 7 so will have to go to the customs in Dakar and extend it. Then she asked for my driver’s license and I had my Oh Shit moment. Skilfully I gathered my wits and showed her my Irish photocard passport which had a number she could write down so all was well...for now!

I gathered my wits by enjoying the Saloum delta scenery as I headed off but was reflecting on how these few things had stressed me. I think it’s a mixture of natural concern (my iPhone is my lifeline to the world) and an adjustment process to life alone on the road, particularly as when I rode some of the these roads in November it was with Kit as pillion and I was missing her .

But I was thinking this ride would not have been as much fun as the harmattan wind was blowing strong, scouring all with dine sand.

Eventually I was offered a sign for a Peage road to Dakar and a local told me it would be quicker so I went for it as I was keen to get to my crib in Dakar asap.

So imagine my dismay that the coordinates I had input for the Hostel ViaVia seemed far from the right place. I pulled off the toll road to try to sort it out but Garmin did not recognise the street address and Dakar is a huge city.

Tired and hungry (I had not stopped for lunch although I had bought 3 bananas) I took this badly. Fortunately there was a police post nearby and I 'persuaded them to ring the hostel and get directions which they neatly mapped out and explained to me.

I was very pleased to get there - the map was good and I stopped and checked it periodically. I was so used to using GPS that this was an odd experience!

The bike tucked away: but I had to walk it through sand and up a homemade ramp to get it there!

So tomorrow the Mali embassy...Hope I sleep as the wind was really tiring.

I see my last post was short on photos. There were many fine views but a combination of s disintegrated phone screen and a push to get to Dakar, it was not the time for happy snaps!

Wow Simon, quite an Adventurous day. Well done on getting through to your destination and writing this up so well on a cracked screen. Good luck today!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As you may have detected, dear readers, yesterday was not my best adventure riding day and I retired to bed with a sore eye, a headache, and worried that the days events had bothered me so.

Admittedly a broken phone and a lost driver’s license along with pesky customs officials are no biker’s ideal events.

However a good night’s sleep with lots of ibuprofen meant I ate my breakfast boiled egg with a better outlook. ‘Today was a new day!’ It was a cool day and I was glad I had brought my gansie with me!

And I am pleased to say it was a day of successes:

After a few goarounds and a failed attempt to persuade me the Oman embassy was the Mali embassy (both four letter countries I grant you!) my taxi driver got me to the right spot

There was only 1 other applicant and the officials were charming and the form took 2 minutes - return at 2 and your multiple entry visa will be ready. They were unbothered by my 5 or 10 year old photos!

So next stop is Ile de Goree, the old slave trading shipment post. It’s a very somber history in beautiful surroundings so I will just post a few photos without comment

Enjoying your ride reports Simon

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast