Changing ESA shocks

Greenman14

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I might be about to sell my GS and I'm thinking about removing the Wilbers and refitting the original shocks. Has anyone done this and how difficult is it? I'm reasonably competent with the spanners.

It is easy to change the shocks. The problem with the Wibers is removing the ESA pre-load units if you are going to put them on your old shocks.
On the stock shocks you simply undo a grub screw compress the spring remove the wire clip and slide the ESA pre-load unit off the top of the shock.
The Wilbers have the Pre-load unit assembled from the bottom of the shock and it will not fit over the bottom eye ( rebound adjuster motor) ,the shock has to be degassed to remove the bottom eye as it will damage the needle if refitted under pressure.
It is such a shame that Wilbers could not have adopted the simple assembly procedure that BMW used.

If its ESA, sell it with the Wilbers. They will add value to the bike.

But de/gassing the shocks wont cost much. See if you can find a mobile bike suspension mechanic. They are always at MotoX events.

If it's not ESA the shocks are simple 1:1 swap out.

Be sure the rear shock bottom mount is not under load as that screw takes some force to unscrew. Heat is useful to soften any thread lock. At the front, remove petrol tank and support bike under sump as you may need to unscrew the ball joint nut. Again, use heat to soften thread lock.

If you are not familiar with Torx bits, always try the next largest bit as its all too easy to use a size down and strip the bolt head.

Yes, It's ESA. If I ended up doing a P/Ex deal then I very much doubt a dealer would add anything for the Wilbers suspension. Tossers probably would though.

Back
Top Bottom