Africa Twin Shakes

grez

Reaction score
Just come back from a 3,500 mile jaunt in Europe on my new AT.

Issues so far:

Footpegs are crap.
Screen directs wind blast directly onto my helmet at ear level.
Accelerating in 5th or 6th from around 2,900 revs shakes the bike to pieces until 3,500 revs reached.
Checking oil is a pain although no oil used so not really an issue.

Anybody else's bike shake in 5th or 6th ?

Issues so far:

Footpegs are crap.
Accelerating in 5th or 6th from around 2,900 revs shakes the bike to pieces until 3,500 revs reached.

All XRs

Issues so far:

Don't change up so soon :nenau

Andres

Not got mine yet but already know I'll likely need to swap screen and pegs...mine is to be a DCT so won't have those 3rd world problems of shakeyness at low revs but as above..use the gearbox more

Well there is that but cruising along in 6th I don't want to have to drop down 2 gears just to accelerate by 15 mph. 3000 revs is around 47 mph in 5th ( 53 mph in 6th) so it should pull from there

It's a twin!!

If you want to pull away in 6th go and buy a K1600 !!

Yep it is a twin, my GS can manage it though, who would have thought a 17 year old 1150 GS would be smoother than a modern 1000 ? That's progress for you.

My 1100 was far smoother than my1200gs
mainly because of the extra flywheel weight...but worst in almost all other respects
The other thing is a shaft does not slap like a chain and that smooths it out at lower revs
Just alter you riding style to suit the bike
For a modern twin the AT is smooth and will happily pull from under 2.5k in the higher gears ...Just don't give it too much throttle until it clears 3.5k

Take it to Hilltop :D

Seriously, made a massive difference to mine in terms of rolling on from lower revs.

I changed from the original to a Puig Touring Screen but I still cant drive with my visor up at speed as the wind is battering me half way up the helmet.Measuring the Givi screen on my BMW 1200GS which is great at speed its only about an inch lower from road level.

The other issue I have is the brake lever seems a tad high compared to the foot peg so I have to live my foot to press the brake pedal

I changed from the original to a Puig Touring Screen but I still cant drive with my visor up at speed as the wind is battering me half way up the helmet.Measuring the Givi screen on my BMW 1200GS which is great at speed its only about an inch lower from road level.

The other issue I have is the brake lever seems a tad high compared to the foot peg so I have to live my foot to press the brake pedal

please tell me thats a joke................

Mine's ok in 5th and 6th (DCT) however is jerky/lumpy in 1st or 2nd when riding below 20mph to such point that U-turn or parking manoeuvres look like ridden by newbie with L-plate :blast

Throttle freplay is OK but idle engine speed seems to be around 1400 so that might be a problem. But apparently there's no way to adjust the idle...

I disconnected battery overnight and after connecting it run on idle until fans kicked in (that's apparently ECU reset procedure) and did DCT clutch reset procedure but to no avail.

I already mentioned this problem to my dealer during 600 mile service but they said couldn't notice such thing.

What's your idle speed? Does it run high when started cold at the beginning and then settle at idle?

Issues so far:

Footpegs are crap.

My DCT doesn't, it will pull 6th from 36mph............but my DCT is a

V4 :thumb

Mine's ok in 5th and 6th (DCT) however is jerky/lumpy in 1st or 2nd when riding below 20mph to such point that U-turn or parking manoeuvres look like ridden by newbie with L-plate :blast

Throttle freplay is OK but idle engine speed seems to be around 1400 so that might be a problem. But apparently there's no way to adjust the idle...

I disconnected battery overnight and after connecting it run on idle until fans kicked in (that's apparently ECU reset procedure) and did DCT clutch reset procedure but to no avail.

I already mentioned this problem to my dealer during 600 mile service but they said couldn't notice such thing.

What's your idle speed? Does it run high when started cold at the beginning and then settle at idle?

Hi, assuming this is a serious post -

All Fi engines will run higher revs when cold (fast idle) then settle, clearly this would be hi-lighted on an automatic gearbox and show as jerky surging , try low speed manoeuvres in golf gti DCT when its cold ! I now sit still the revs drop before moving off (saves taking a wall out)

No joke here as bike behaves like this doesn't matter how cold or warm engine is.

When started cold it has 1800 rpms and then drops to 1400 (workshop manual says idle should be 1200 +/- 100). Today I noticed it creeps with the throttle fully rolled off and you can ride with closed throttle at speed around 5 mph.

Anyway booked for check.

Back
Top Bottom