Problem stepping down gears

Cyclistbruce

Reaction score
Have FINALLY rebuilt the GS after having to replace the input shaft on the gearbox. Bench testing seemed fine, took it out on the road and less so!

Initially, couldn't engage 6th, this has now solved itself although much stiffer into 5th and 6th than previously. However, one weird problem remains, when downshifting from 6th it gets stuck in 5th. I can't just step down into 4th, I have to go back up into 6th, then 5th and then it'll let me carry on down into 4th! Frustrating!

I don't think I can face the thought of stripping the gearbox again, I've already missed the summer! Any simple things I might be missing?!?

Gear lever needs a clean maybe. Do a search on here. Took a numpty like me 30mins

As above, it's the pivot sleeve in the gear linkage that gets full of shit, dissemble clean and put back although you may need emery paper to clean it properly. Try and get a look at a parts fiche BEFORE you start.

Yes, extensive tips on the maintenance of the gear pedal connection to the gearbox shifter mechanism is seen on other pages in this section. Could be a loose a spline-gripper on the pedal knuckle, floppy linkage ( oo-er, missus ) before you start panicking.
And sodding clutch slave cylinder failure of course - say no more.
Change and bleed clutch hydraulic fluid every thirty days, sorry - weeks, sorry - months, sorry - seconds....
Al in s.e. Spain

Gear lever bush needs a good sand down with wet and dry paper.

I had this problem, and thought my gearbox was trashed. It was a very simple fix.

Took off gear lever, moves freely. So must be something in the box. Think I may just have to live with it!!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

you could take a little gear oil out and try a tube of molyslip gearbox treatment in:nenau

When you took the gear lever off did you take the bush out and clean it up ?

Nope, the bolt was completely seized, but, the lever has good free movement, no stiffness at all....

Took off gear lever, moves freely. So must be something in the box. Think I may just have to live with it!!

Nope, the bolt was completely seized, but, the lever has good free movement, no stiffness at all....

There's a bush in the gearlever that the bolt tightens against, the gear lever is then loose on the bush. If the bush is seized in the gear lever ( as is the case in 99% of this type of problem) the lever doesn't relocate to enable the next gear to be selected - the bush has to be pressed out of the lever, rubbed down with wet & dry and reinserted then the gearlever refitted.

Ahh OK. I've got to do some more tinkering with other bits so I'll do that at the same time. Probably going to have to drill the bolt off though as it's knackered now.

Confused now! You've had the gear lever off but now your having to drill the bolt out? Believe they were originally locktited too.

Just do what Neil says - coz what Steptoe doesn't know about fixing any problem on these bikes isn't worth knowing. If in doubt, from Blandford Forum to Neil's London workshop would be a nice, well-worth ride - in fifth....

my bike developed the same problem, coming down gears, which seemed worst when decelerating. i took the gear lever off, but the bush was free and clear and the lever swung no problem. few weeks later (last week) i lost all drive, took it apart to find the clutch plate splines stripped and the gearbox input splines badly worn. i don't know if this contributed to the 'downshifting' issue or if it was just coincidence though.

2e13eb0d12622eab6df51cc4bc04f41b.jpg

d8748b2ac52111f2ade1dfdf260a598d.jpg

I just rebuilt the box and clutch for just that reason. So new clutch plate and input shaft!

Just to update, the bolt was completely seized against the bush. No way it was coming off. So heated it and got some mole grips on the lip of the bush. That got it moving and dropped some oil in. Now steps through the gears perfectly!

So thanks to Steptoe!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom