New Gold Wing

Deleted account Cooperman

Reaction score
Plenty of tech on show. 7 speed DCT box.

gold-wing.ashx

chassis.ashx

instruments.ashx

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...ptember/honda_2018_goldwing_technical_details

At the risk of having another complimentary and constructive post deleted :rolleyes: I really like it and it should be significantly lighter than the current model.

And lets be honest the BMW and Honda finish are opposite ends of the spectrum from a quality perspective. BMW seems to be pushing volume and trading on image rather than improving the quality of its product. Who would honestly buy a new BMW.

I like it, not for me just now but I will have the full fat one at some stage, think the £26k is putting me off a bit

That looks like my washing machine. Loads of features, most of which you probably don't need and will never use.

Just launched in Tokyo

2018-honda-gold-wing-tour-3.jpg

2018-honda-gold-wing-tour-7.jpg

Honda has showcased its new generation 'super cruiser', the 2018 Honda Gold Wing, at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show. The all-new 2018 Honda Gold Wing is more compact than its predecessor while also weighs about 40kg less. Two versions of the motorcycle will be on offer, a standard Gold Wing and a more tech and feature-rich Gold Wing Tour. The Gold Wing Tour is the flagship version and gets a trunk that doubles up as backrest and armrests for the pillion and a taller windscreen apart from other changes. The standard Gold Wing essentially replaces the F6 Bagger, doesn't get the rear trunk and gets a smaller windscreen than the Tour. It also misses out on electronic suspension adjustment and a few other features. Both motorcycles still come powered by Honda's horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine that now displaces 1,833cc. Another big update is that the 2018 Honda Gold Wing is the first motorcycle to feature Apple CarPlay integration.
The engine uses four valves per cylinder now instead of two to improve efficiency along with a Unicam head arrangement. Basically, the camshaft acts directly on intake valves while acting on the exhaust valves via rocker arms to boost efficiency and reduce losses. The engine bore is down by 1mm while the stroke is up by 2mm making the motor perfectly square as bore and stroke both now stand at 73mm.

The crankshaft and intake have been redesigned too and on the whole, the engine is more compact in size and lighter in weight. It comes mated to either a conventional, six-speed manual transmission or a seven-speed DSG. The engine is also placed further towards the front end for better weight balancing and an improved centre of gravity. The lower weight and revised placement of the engine, says Honda, is hugely responsible for making the new Gold Wing a sportier handler.

Another major highlight is the double wishbone suspension up front that Honda claims reduces rider effort for steering the motorcycle and also improves handling further. Honda claims front end feel and stability on the new Gold Wing have thus improved vastly. Shock absorbers from Showa perform duty at both ends, and the Tour, as mentioned before, also gets electronic adjustment. The new Gold Wing is significantly lighter now, by over 40kg, which goes without saying, should aid handling too.

The new Honda Gold Wing also gets a full electronics suite including traction control, while ABS and linked braking are standard a before. The Gold Wing Tour additionally gets electronically adjustable suspension. The new Gold Wing also gets fully customisable riding modes, including Tour, Sport, Eco, and Rain.

Yes yes. But what are the optional 'goodies' you can have?

- Night Vision?
- Radar?
- Self healing tyres?
- Heated Helmet?

What... what??

- Head up display?
- Built in tyre warmers?
- Lane & self-park assist?
- Self cleaning paint?
- Remote diagnostic servicing?
- Built in cameras 360 degrees?
- Biometric stimulation with variable pulse mode?

what?

I really like what Honda's done with this, lighter, sleeker, better mpg, better handling, electric windshield finally, give me a basic DCT version without the rear box. Probably smart to give it at least a year though.

Wow, would love to get a go on one of those beasties...

Back
Top Bottom