Nackered in Nancy

cloudswiper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On way back from Vosges Mountains on 2000 1150 GS. Stopped for coffee. Watch oil piss out of final and leave puddle. No preceding vibration or roughness. Nearest BMW dealer just 4 miles away. Tiptoe there and leave bike pending inspection tomorrow morning. Chances of getting away with just bearing & seal change ???
Now ...tell me more about bikes with drive chains...

Well lets hope you do not get the usual, j,ai pas le temps reviens demain, or je dois commander les pieces reviens demain, cross your fingers.

But you've got a spare in the pannier? No?

This happened to me at the end of July. Well, maybe it's not quite the same thing?

How's the rear wheel? Is it still ridable, only an oil leak at this point? If yes, then they's an outside chance it's just the seal. I had this too. Pushing in the seal 2-3mm might fix it.

Otherwise go and camp out near the dealer 4 miles away while they fix it. Should be less than an hour with the right tools!

Parts in stock, repairs under way. Bearing well and truly shagged but no damage to the expensive clockwork. Praise the Lord!

I ate something but it wasn't that. Decided to leave one bar when barman set bar alight when cocktail trick went wrong. Cracking town for a bevy or two.

Best Ride Report I've read for some time...

Brief, to the point, funny, and perceptive:thumb2

Yay! Result

Would this have been a straightforward with the 1200 though? !

I always see the FD bearing and seal failure as to be expected. It's the shaft drive consumable equivalent of a chain and sprockets.

Things I have learnt - part 1
If service reception say it will be ready at 5 try turning up at 2 and have a nose out back. My bike sitting ready to go while reception happy to keep me in the dark racking up service hours.

Things I have learnt part 2
It takes longer to make up the bill than fix the bike.

Back
Top Bottom