Thread: Zumo jumped off - operator error

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Zumo jumped off - operator error

I've fitted my Zumo 660 to the standard BM mount an awful lot of times in more than 2 years, so it was quite a surprise today when about 2 miles after a stop, the wee fukker jumped out of the cradle, bounced down the tank into my lap and then headed south towards the highway. Was doing about 30-40 mph so I pulled in along the road a bit. Expecting the worst and worrying about the next 3 days getting home from Germany, I trudged back looking for the wee bandit.

There it is lying in the gutter. Surprise, surprise it turns on and the screen is ok. All 4 corners bashed, broken, scratched. Later I realised the grey picture frame outer casing part has disappeared without me noticing.

But it fired up and I was back on the road. It even survived a downpour soon after.
    I triple checked it was mounted securely. I'm still puzzled as to why it was "half installed" and fell off. I've always found it to be All of Nothing. On or Off.

Lesson learned. Double check the mounting.
    A few hours earlier it could've been 100 mph on autobahn and Goodnight Zumo.

No pictures of the incident as I won't waste time trying to upload normal phone pics on here any more. I'm sure you can imagine what a Zumo 660 looks like if you throw it down the road.
    Carpe Diem!

It is possible to sometimes put a device into its cradle, without the spring mounted lugs engaging quite snugly enough. It feels like it's secure (particularly when wearing gloves) but it's not quite. The vibrations of the bike, coupled to the spring clasp's natural inclination to spring outwards and open only serves to amplify the problem.

The good news is that it's very rare or the internet would be full of tales of: "Me premium priced Garmin has buggered off down the road, again!". Which it isn't.

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerboy55 View Post
    I've fitted my Zumo 660 to the standard BM mount an awful lot of times in more than 2 years, so it was quite a surprise today when about 2 miles after a stop, the wee fukker jumped out of the cradle, bounced down the tank into my lap and then headed south towards the highway. Was doing about 30-40 mph so I pulled in along the road a bit. Expecting the worst and worrying about the next 3 days getting home from Germany, I trudged back looking for the wee bandit.

There it is lying in the gutter. Surprise, surprise it turns on and the screen is ok. All 4 corners bashed, broken, scratched. Later I realised the grey picture frame outer casing part has disappeared without me noticing.

But it fired up and I was back on the road. It even survived a downpour soon after.
    I triple checked it was mounted securely. I'm still puzzled as to why it was "half installed" and fell off. I've always found it to be All of Nothing. On or Off.

Lesson learned. Double check the mounting.
    A few hours earlier it could've been 100 mph on autobahn and Goodnight Zumo.

No pictures of the incident as I won't waste time trying to upload normal phone pics on here any more. I'm sure you can imagine what a Zumo 660 looks like if you throw it down the road.
    After my 660 did the same some years ago I always get a TT locking mount when it's new sat nav time..

Have a 395LM ( & a spare 340LM ) at the moment & a locking mount on the 700 GS + one on my Guzzi SP3...

Costly yes but double protection especially with my u/s hands - 1 I don't drop or it don't fall out of garmin mount & 2 protection from tea leafs etc at fuel stations etc.
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

This might make everyone laugh, but I had that happen with a Tomtom ages ago, since then I always use a rubber band as an extra security, just saying.

With the case now holed, this one's days are numbered I think.

A bit of sun today dried it out.

Maybe I'll drill another hole in it for a cable tie or lanyard ��
    Carpe Diem!