Thread: Wireless network question

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Wireless network question

Have a wireless network at the house.

Have a netgear powerline adapter connected to the router and the other powerline adapters in the house all work perfectly.

Then lots of armoured cable to a log cabin.

Have a powerline XAV5004 in the cabin, which work perfectly and serves up 4 Ethernet ports.

But how do I serve up wifi in the cabin - as its too far for the house wifi network to reach.

Will one of these wifi extenders extend my house wifi to the cabin ?
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/produc...rs/EX6200.aspx

Or do I need something else ?
    Last edited by Walowiz; 26-09-17 at 19:51. Reason: Its not kits

I can't see the link properly, Virgin Trains WiFi

What you need is to use one of the Ethernet Ports, and use a patch cable to a WiFi Extender, something like this will do the job

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WAVLINK-Ext...extender&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffmeister View Post

What you need is to use one of the Ethernet Ports, and use a patch cable to a WiFi Extender, something like this will do the job

+1 as above, I use one of these below and wifi is fast as hell and gets some serious distance even between walls.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ext...SA2YH5800&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffmeister View Post

Brilliant - think that link is to a much cheaper wifi extender option than the netgear link I posted which is also a wifi extender.

I still cant get my head round how my broadband supplied network in the house, runs over power cables to the cabin and then I can serve up an extension to my wifi network (set up in the house) using a wifi extender, running off Ethernet from a powerline Ethernet device in the cabin, rather than being connected to the wifi router in the house ?

Quote Originally Posted by Walowiz View Post
    Brilliant - think that link is to a much cheaper wifi extender option than the netgear link I posted which is also a wifi extender.

I still cant get my head round how my broadband supplied network in the house, runs over power cables to the cabin and then I can serve up an extension to my wifi network (set up in the house) using a wifi extender, running off Ethernet from a powerline Ethernet device in the cabin, rather than being connected to the wifi router in the house ?
    But you are connected to your router in the house - it just goes from your house, through the wires to your cabin, and then gets made into a wifi signal by the little extender - simple really when you think about it? All the info the extender needs is in the signal it's getting from your router in the first place, the same one it used to create your wifi ion the house originally.

James
    BMW R1200GS TE LC

Have you used one powerline ethernet connector connected to the Modem router first, and then another connected to the computer or router in the cabin, you need one on each end at the very least.

if you have spare wireless router you can use that it may save you a bob or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by leedude03 View Post
    if you have spare wireless router you can use that it may save you a bob or 2.
    Did have, but gave an unused and used netgear router away - as I was never going to need them.

Did have, but gave an unused and used netgear router away - as I was never going to need them.
    That is typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    Have you used one powerline ethernet connector connected to the Modem router first, and then another connected to the computer or router in the cabin, you need one on each end at the very least.
    yep -
    powerline in house connected to main router
    powerline 4 port Ethernet device connected in cabin

all fast connections too.

Forgot to say that I got the Netgear Powerline kit from ukgser too

Quick update

Bought one of these NETGEAR Nighthawk 11AC 2200 Mbps X4 Dual Band, didn’t go for the one linked in the earlier posts - as I wanted one that catered for ac wireless, as all the iPhones and iPads can use ac.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019DBR0...il_TE_AMZLdp_1

Couldn’t set it up as a WiFi extender, has to set it up as an access point. But glad I went for the higher spec as the wireless in the cabin and garden is blisteringly quick and no drop outs, the dual wireless network setup is pretty neat

Be replacing the shite wireless router in the house now and when the extension is being planned include Ethernet cabling. The power line kit has reminded me that nothing quite beats a wired connection

Quote (Be replacing the shite wireless router in the house now and when the extension is being planned include Ethernet cabling. The power line kit has reminded me that nothing quite beats a wired connection.)

There would be a few folks on here who would not agree with that last comment, but i would second it, wired is far superior when location allows.

Quote Originally Posted by leedude03 View Post
    Quote (Be replacing the shite wireless router in the house now and when the extension is being planned include Ethernet cabling. The power line kit has reminded me that nothing quite beats a wired connection.)

There would be a few folks on here who would not agree with that last comment, but i would second it, wired is far superior when location allows.
    Agree - the power line kit has been a surprising revelation for home
    Networking, never expected it to be this good, maybe it’s because it came second hand from UKGSER