Litle getaway to Wales

(RIP) andrewgsadv

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Welsh Trip

With No bike trips planned to europe this year . Cos we is having a retro family camping holiday in Cornwall ,sadly no bikes involved. Whose bright spark idea was that.

So what to do with limited holiday time avaialable. We decided on a 4 day tour from a base in Barmouth. Never been before, stayed in Betwys e Coed last time. I spend a few hours researching maps and cycling routes for inspiration. I have bought a Yamaha FJR1300a but still want to do the little back roads as on my GS bikes of old. Julie will be piloting her 16 year old BMW F650gs with new TKC 70 tyres. Several routes have been plotted in basecamp, transferred to my Garmin 590 and Julies Zumo 660 they never miss a beat over the 4 days. Some of the roads were mere goat tracks, both sides of ponderosa and around Harlech Castle. So funny at the time as I was nervous and Julie was heckling me over the intercom. We survived with no mishaps just the occasional wheelspin and slip. Worth it though as these little roads offered us some nice views, when it wasnt raining or overcast. Our accomodation was a B and B above Barmouth called Bryn Melyn. Grand Place to stay with lovely views.

The run down included a gated road on approach to Ponderosa , lovely that,the trip felt as though it had started . Fine rain , bugg**. Heavy Rain started double bugg**
Bacon and egg butties and tea watching the rain pass at Ponderosa we thank you for shelter and food.

Up to Ponderosa

On departure twatnav would like us to turn right, Not having it so I turn Left. More of this later on the return journey home. It was following the route onto another goat track I had plotted.

With no waypoints till our next tiny backroad to go above Harlech we soon navigated back to our intended route.

Not raining all smiles

Up goatrack 2 above Harlech

Quick tour of Harlech and then pick up the coast road to Barmouth.

Running early we turn off to find the beach and a little tea shop to kill an hour. Its nice wandering up the coast winkling out new places. Yes the trip has begun and its going to get better as there are some cracking roads built into this tour. Excited , both like kids in a sweetshop. Julie finds a little chapel on the beach.

A very moving memorial in front of the altar.

When booking it said on the blurb its best to go up past the entrance to Bryn Melyn turn around and approach coming downhill. Can understand why as the drive doubles back on itself . I managed to threepenny bit my way round not very elegant at all. So from then on did as recommended,bit of a faff but who cares. We get booked into a lovely room overlooking the Bay. Lovely place, most enjoyable stay , definitely one to go back too. They have several touring maps marked out for motorists and walkers,lots of information included. We used one of them to run back up the coast on our last day, visiting several seaside towns and inland villages .
Nice clean room.

On our first morning we wake early to lovely sunshine and stunning views,from the bedroom window.

The forecast is good for the whole day so we breakfast and depart , a quick run toward Llanwrtyd - Wells ,to then pickup a road taking in the Devils Staircase.

Lovely roads lakes flowers and wildlife.

Nature study and a rehydration stop,bit of flower pressing.

All going really well until it starts to MONSOON bugg**.
We have packed over jackets and quickly suit up. Arriving at Llandrindrod Wells we find a parking spot , look at each other in abject misery , smile and go off in search of shelter. We look for the busiest dining establishment and pile in apologising for our wet clothing. The old girl says tongue in cheek “tis nothing we are used to this come in its Wales it rains everyday”. Lovely place good quality food and bless me if the Sun Has Got His Hat On Hip Hip Hip Hooray . We do a little jig pay the bill and continue to a road that must be done with a name like that.

Rather apt picture above,so much water fell in such a short space of time.

We ride we stop we photo , we video but you can not see them as welllllll you cant.

Stunning roads and area all new to us,both have a couple of near misses , A group are coming in the opposite direction , few drifting to our side of the road distracted by the views and reverting to riding as though at Home in the Netherlands . We are all going steady enough to avoid collision. Fair made me smile , reminded me of the odd occasion where I have gone to the wrong side of the road whilst in Europe.
We have rivers lakes and excellent roads,the rain is holding off , marvellous.

We stop off in Barmouth for fish and chips, load them onto the bikes and run back down the road to find a spot overlooking the estuary. We eat and watch the sunset together. How romantic,pity I couldnt of brewed a cup of tea for us both,that would have made our day perfic.

If The Bear is looking, they were well good fella.

Our second day and we settle on a route from the Guest House owners ,

we plumb into the satnag each destination in turn,Julie has elected to ride pillion ,she has the map to hit me with when I accelorate a little too fast. The weather is excellent , we have called into the supermarket en route to purchase the makings for lunch and were orft. Not for long , Julie has taken her gloves off at some point and has been taking photos from the mobile viewing platform, gloves have gone awol. Now this is a pair of favourite gloves and we have to go back to see if we can locate them. Not a sign all the way back to base. We pick up a spare pair and retrace our steps again. I spot one of the gloves on a grate. We pull over and search nearby. One glove found is useless really,Julie is very sad. We plough on and at our first destination call in for coffee and re order the same pair of gloves from sportsbikeshop - ont` tinternet. She is happy again as much because I seem to have paid for them.

We do a bit of shopping and leave for our next destination. Winding our way through unfamiliar places is good fun. Working together hand in glove arrgh dont mention the gloves. No seriously just the two of us is so easy, no worries about what anyone else is up to. Just doin our own thing . We stop for lunch in Aberdaron.

The sun is out as we wander up the prom we settle on a bench overlooking the beach , behind us is a little river , its busy but feels like a very relaxed spot for a longer stay. We move on bimbling around local lanes before heading back to base. Another grand day out, just a shame we have to head for home tomorrow.

Off above our lunch stop to find more goat tracks.

Heading back to base.

Homeward bound this morning and Bugg** its raining we delay setting off till 10 am ,its still raining. Well off we go picking up fuel en route within 10 miles of Bryn Melyn and the rain has eased off. We make good progress and the satnav is sending us up a minor road , its one I have put in to take us past Ponderosa again. This road is the one we were being sent to from there on our way down. Its a stunning goat track to the top , all good till the top corner where the rain had deposited lots of stones,many butt clenching moments but we made it , grinning like a cheshire cat , I ask if Julie is ok , she shakily says “No dont ever bring me up there again!”, I blame the satnag.

We have a morning tiffin , well weve earned it thanks again Ponderosa.
Well thats it as the journey home was wet and tedious.
Wales once again , Just Grand.

Great write up of a fantastic gem of an area. We had a run over to Barmouth yesterday. Had to have fish and chips for lunch of course!

Thanks for the comments, such a wonderful part of the country even when it’s raining. Will go back for more when time permits. Have another trip report ,this time from the Lakes in July this year. This one is a repeat of a trip with my daughter many years ago,only this time I am taking her daughter . May take a while ,watch this space.

Done most of that route a few times over the years, its addictive!

Thanks for that, I live in the area and really enjoyed your write-up.

Did you go past Aberdaron to Uwchmynydd and beyond to the tip of the peninsula? I ask because I thought the picture after the couple you took of Aberdaron looked like that road, and it is marked on your map at Bryn Melyn. As it happens it's a lovely spot on a sunny day if you go right to the old Coast Guard lookout at the top, you can see Ynys Enlli (Bardsey Island) and way down the coast towards Pembroke. Then to the West on a clear day you might be able to see the Wicklow Hills in Ireland, and the to the North East you can see along the peninsula along the length of Llŷn and towards Eryri (Snowdonia), to the North is Sir Fon, Anglesey. If you have some time to spare there's a spectacular cliff, Y Parwyd, to the South East from the lookout that drops 80 metres to the sea. If you have a lot more time then you can take a boat to Bardsey from Porth Meudwy.

And thanks again. :beerjug:

Lovely part of the world.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for that, I live in the area and really enjoyed your write-up.

Did you go past Aberdaron to Uwchmynydd and beyond to the tip of the peninsula? I ask because I thought the picture after the couple you took of Aberdaron looked like that road, and it is marked on your map at Bryn Melyn. As it happens it's a lovely spot on a sunny day if you go right to the old Coast Guard lookout at the top, you can see Ynys Enlli (Bardsey Island) and way down the coast towards Pembroke. Then to the West on a clear day you might be able to see the Wicklow Hills in Ireland, and the to the North East you can see along the peninsula along the length of Llŷn and towards Eryri (Snowdonia), to the North is Sir Fon, Anglesey. If you have some time to spare there's a spectacular cliff, Y Parwyd, to the South East from the lookout that drops 80 metres to the sea. If you have a lot more time then you can take a boat to Bardsey from Porth Meudwy.

And thanks again. :beerjug:

John, yes did go beyond Aberdaron , a lovely area that we would like to revisit with more time to have a better look. :beerjug:

most enjoyable Andrew and great piccies......:thumb

Enjoyed this, not sure how I missed the first time.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom