Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1982 F2 Z650 Project

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

1982 F2 Z650 Project

Thought I would share this one but it is a restoration, my first one, that might take some time

Any way I have always wanted to have a go at restoring a motorcycle and came across this Kawasaki Z650 F2 by chance really on this very forum. I won't bore you with the story but a little about the bike.

Its a 82 Dutch registered Z650 F2. Bought by a forum member in Holland when he worked there. It was his first bike so I guess he got attached to it as he imported it back to the Uk when he returned having owned the bike for a couple of years. It was last on the road here in the Uk in 2012 but then was put away as it made way for a GS.

So the plan is to give it a near full nut and bolt restoration putting it back to standard as she was in 82. At the moment I m in the process of stripped the bike down which is in overall great condition for a 35 yr old bike. I hopefully will have a completed rolling chassis by the end of the summer.

So here's a few photos of the strip down. Hopefully the right way up but lately as they upload they somehow flip and turn upside down. So if that's the case apologies and if anyone could put them the right way that would be appreciated

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Dream as if you'll live for ever. Live as if you'll die today

Good man. I had one of the early single disc wire wheel versions and loved it. With a Monza sidecar nailed on it took me, the missus and our 9 month baby to the TT back in the 80's. keep the photos coming, especially the ones from Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman14 View Post
    Good man. I had one of the early single disc wire wheel versions and loved it. With a Monza sidecar nailed on it took me, the missus and our 9 month baby to the TT back in the 80's. keep the photos coming, especially the ones from Australia.
    Are the photos upside down? They are ok on my PC

Reality you can rely on...
    That brings back memories... My first 'big' bike was a Z650F2.

I bought it new from Powerhouse Motorcycles, Camden Town, London.

KYT 311X, as I remember.

BMW K1100LT (1995).

Harley FXST (1989).

My Photos

More Photos

'What I'm out for is a good time,

All the rest is propaganda!'

Quote Originally Posted by Ringmaster999 View Post
    Are the photos upside down? They are ok on my PC
    First 3 are upside down on my iPad, the others are ok. If I knew how I'd fix it but I have the same problem with photos.

If you're looking to get the engine restored 'elsewhere' I can't recommend Harry Overton at Briteworx enough. He does some awesome work!

Restoration and Paint services

07714 266 627

www.ctmotorcycleservices.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ctmotorcycleservices

Quote Originally Posted by Tunneruk View Post
    If you're looking to get the engine restored 'elsewhere' I can't recommend Harry Overton at Briteworx enough. He does some awesome work!
    That's Awesome Chris many thanks. My mechanical skills are home basics level and the engine internals are a bit above my level along with the fact I do want the cases all redone so thanks again for the pointer.

Almost stripped

So we are nearly there with the strip down. Swinging arm bolt does not want to play and although it pivots with the swinging arm it isn't coming out. So lots of WD40 and we will see tomorrow. Also decided to get all the panels and tank sprayed by a restorer locally at this early stage sort of like buying a suite a couple of sizes below before you have lost the weight as an incentive lol
    Next all the stuff that needs powder coating. That's when I get the swinging arm off

So dropped the tank and plastics off today so hopefully 5 weeks and I will post photos of the work. Still no luck with swinging are bolt!! Will have to try some heat

Swining Arm

Well I have taken the frame and swinging arm into work where we have a very large Fleet and Engineering section and no joy with attempting to press it out. If fact they were worried about applying anymore pressure as they thought it would distort the frame. So they are going to Plasma cut it off Tuesday. So I will just have to source a complete swinging arm, bolt and bush's. Oh well restoration is what it is

Amazing though how it has sized solid and it must be the bolt and the sleeve as the bolt turns and when you move the swinging arm up and down you can see the bolt pivoting with it. Look here http://z650.surr.fr/images/D04.png

It's off

Well after several cuts the swinging arm is off. Took two cuts and then a cut to actually take the head off the bolt
    So new swinging arm and all the bits being picked up Saturday and then all the black bits that need powder coating are off to the coaters

So on my return from an Alps trip on the XR I should have some nice paintwork and powder coating to show

Picked up a good second hand swinging arm and bolt along with a couple of dust covers today so all good. But here's a funny thing. As you know if you have been reading this I had to cut the swinging arm off hence having to get a replacement and the gentleman I bought it off Jason is a well know Zed stockist of second hand parts who owns Kawasaki Heaven. Any way he told me that all Z650 swinging arms had a grease nipple which obviously allows for grease to be applied to the inner roller and bearings but mine which has been chromed at some stage in its life did not have one. So the only conclusion is that when it was chromed the nipple was removed for some reason and hence some 35yrs later it had to be cut off. Why oh why would you remove a grease nipple there for a purpose. Strange what happens to bikes over the years but all good fun and learning opportunities along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Ringmaster999 View Post
    Picked up a good second hand swinging arm and bolt along with a couple of dust covers today so all good. But here's a funny thing. As you know if you have been reading this I had to cut the swinging arm off hence having to get a replacement and the gentleman I bought it off Jason is a well know Zed stockist of second hand parts who owns Kawasaki Heaven. Any way he told me that all Z650 swinging arms had a grease nipple which obviously allows for grease to be applied to the inner roller and bearings but mine which has been chromed at some stage in its life did not have one. So the only conclusion is that when it was chromed the nipple was removed for some reason and hence some 35yrs later it had to be cut off. Why oh why would you remove a grease nipple there for a purpose. Strange what happens to bikes over the years but all good fun and learning opportunities along the way
    Ok so apparently according to some very knowledgeable sorts on the Z650 forum from the F1 1981 model onwards the grease nipples were indeed taken off!! Ties in as mine is an F2 82 model. Still the removal of such a simple lubricating system has resulted in me having to get mine cut off. The replacement has a nipple so obviously from an earlier model

Powder Coating

At last I have some progress Picked up the powder coating from the coaters yesterday and I am please other than he forgot to mask off the frame number So I now have a frame number that is only just visible but it is still there thankfully

Picking up the finished paint work tomorrow

...and the tank, tail and side panels...How are they looking ?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey B View Post
    ...and the tank, tail and side panels...How are they looking ?
    Picking them up tomorrow and will post pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast