Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bike insurance

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

New bike insurance

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for a insurance for my new Triple Black now.
    Bike will be collected from the dealer next week.
    Question, do I have to put panniers, top box and tft screen as a modification or keep it as a standard?
    I'm very confused now, because when I spoken with a guy from The Bike Insurance he put everything as extra options and quote me for almost £900
    When I did quote on mcn I found few companies for around £500 but not know about extras

Thanks in advance

If its on as standard, comes with the model then dont say a word.

I havent said about my panniers, as they are supplied from the garage, I am not to know they are added extras???

Chat to these guys https://www.bemoto.uk/

I dealt with Scott who was excellent, two GS with all mods declared and an agreed quotation for my Norton V4SS when it's ready.

Since then two mate have insured three bikes with them.

Very helpful and a can do attitude

I had to declare panniers as they were classed as 'options', even tho' the dealer supplied them. I included them in the total value of my '17 TE too. Hastings Direct were cheapest for me, but they took loads of communications to get my declarations correctly-recorded.

Does anyone know how long does it take for my new registration to be recognised by insurers?

Still don't know how to classify the tft screen, because no one know what is it and they want put this as a modification

On my new bike they stuffed me for £124 for 6 months for the factory fit non performance options that were fitted at the factory. ie cruise control, heated grips, pannier rails fog lights and sat nav prep.

On my Audi which was a dealer demonstrator with every single option clicked .................. no effect on the premium as they were factory fit

Same on my wifes Audi, everyone factory option fitted by the original owner including full leather etc etc .................. insurance said they would not effect the premium as they were non performance related options.

Seems to be the latest way of bike insurers/brokers f*cking you over

[QUOTE=Seems to be the latest way of bike insurers/brokers f*cking you over[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel now

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    On my new bike they stuffed me for £124 for 6 months for the factory fit non performance options that were fitted at the factory. ie cruise control, heated grips, pannier rails fog lights and sat nav prep.

On my Audi which was a dealer demonstrator with every single option clicked .................. no effect on the premium as they were factory fit

Same on my wifes Audi, everyone factory option fitted by the original owner including full leather etc etc .................. insurance said they would not effect the premium as they were non performance related options.

Seems to be the latest way of bike insurers/brokers f*cking you over
    I didnt say anything, as they all come included with the TE model, so not technically extras.

Quote Originally Posted by andyscott View Post
    I didnt say anything, as they all come included with the TE model, so not technically extras.

Yes but mine is not a TE model, the monkey on the other end of the phone confirmed if it was a TE model that costs £2500 more then the premium would not have gone up . So now according to CN policy a cheaper bike with a few non visible non performance enhancing options fitted is a greater risk than the top of the range model .

Mind you this is the same bunch of clowns who when my mate rang up for a quote on his immaculate totally standard 1986 GPZ750 was asked if it had any modifications from factory to which he flippantly replied 'well the tyres and the air in them aren't the original ones'. At which time he was subjected to the third degree as to why the bike did not have the original 30 year old tyres fitted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they would have to get back to him to see if the underwriters would cover a 30 year old bike with standard size replacement but non original tyres fitted ....as it might effect his premiums ???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    Yes but mine is not a TE model, the monkey on the other end of the phone confirmed if it was a TE model that costs £2500 more then the premium would not have gone up . So now according to CN policy a cheaper bike with a few non visible non performance enhancing options fitted is a greater risk than the top of the range model .

Mind you this is the same bunch of clowns who when my mate rang up for a quote on his immaculate totally standard 1986 GPZ750 was asked if it had any modifications from factory to which he flippantly replied 'well the tyres and the air in them aren't the original ones'. At which time he was subjected to the third degree as to why the bike did not have the original 30 year old tyres fitted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they would have to get back to him to see if the underwriters would cover a 30 year old bike with standard size replacement but non original tyres fitted ....as it might effect his premiums ???????????????
    That doesn't surprise me at all, they are muppets.

My 20 year old Toyota HiAce is up for renewal with Admiral right now. Guy rings me up Friday night to remind me and because the renewal premium was competitive I was almost on the verge of renewing.

I just need to confirm your details he said, so he runs through the questions and up comes the one about modifications.

What do you class as a modification says I, anything that was not standard when new, says he.

So, jokingly, I tell him that besides a sheet of plywood on the floor and a bit of carpet on top of that, there is a self tapping screw in one of the uprights to hang things on.

Well, he says I'll just rerun your quote to make sure our renewal is the same as quoted in the letter posted out.

Comes back after 5 minutes and says there will be an increase of £14 or so.

While he's rabitting on, I tell him that I decline. Pardon, says he, I decline. Why ?

Because you are trying to charge me £14 for a bit of ply and carpet that cannot affect the risk in any way.

Absolute Scumbags !

BTW, I had to explain what a self tapping screw was .

So, having been rung by your insurance provider to:

(A) Be reminded that your insurance was about to expire on your 20 year old vehicle

(B) Been provided with a what you viewed as a competitive offer premium to renew

You decided to prat about.

Whereupon, as a direct consequence, your competive renewal premium went up by £17. Genius.

You then declined the revised renewal offer, presumably then needing to spend your valuable time * shopping about for a fresh alternative. Whether or not you decided to inform and discuss with your new insurer your sheet of hardboard and / or the self tapping screw is, of course, a secret best kept to yourself.

* A fair exchange, you having already decided to waste the time of the other chimp on the phone line, who had been kind enough to call you to offer you a competive renewal price, subsequently fecking him (and yourself) around in the process.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Changing my insurance from my 'sold' STD R1200 GS triple black, with adv. ally luggage, aux. lights, screen, etc for a new STD GS LC with vario luggage, Aux.lights, TFT, etc, quote is £150 higher because of its value, (that i can understand), and the 'PERFORMANCE' added accessories.....even the comparison sites came up with the same statements, being shafted by one and all insurance companies.....How can luggage enhance performance?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_mcn View Post
    .....How can luggage enhance performance?
    It'll certainly enhance the insurer's performance

Quote Originally Posted by bob_mcn View Post
    .....How can luggage enhance performance?
    I've no idea but it certainly enhances that all important presence and the being planted experience, that so many crave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast