Garmin Zumo 590LM - Power Issue

RugbyPod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, so I know there's a few threads around battery and power issues, but none seem to have my problem.

Basically I'm not getting power whilst the unit is in the cradle, with engine running. However, the power returns after 60 seconds or so after I have the engine turned off. (Pretty much the opposite of what should happen).

I've checked the leads, they are both installed correctly on the battery and not damaged in anyway.

The fuse is also sound.

Any ideas?

Start up the bike before you fit the GPS to its mount and see if it's getting power. My bike sometimes cuts power to the GPS, when trying to start the bike. I think if the GPS battery is not fully charged and you go to start the bike the canbus system sees a drain on the accessory socket and turns it off. The system resets after the ignition has been of for a minute or so.

Thanks Kenny. I've tried all methods of putting the Satnav on (before, after, during) when the bike is running, stopped, etc. It also shouldn't be affected by the Canbus as it's wired direct to battery.

My next project (if I don't hear back from Garmin) is to wire it into the Canbus socket via a NN cable.

That sounds like some sort of over voltage protection, but i doubt that garmin will have any built into the cradle, use a multimeter and check the voltage to the cradle before start and while running then when turned off.
It maybe just a case of vibration thats causing the unit to lose conection at the cradle when the engine is running, try isolating it from the bike, just a thought.

I have heard of some mounts being affected by moisture getting inside them? As you have wired yours to the battery it can only be the cradle that's a likely cause. Open it up an take look inside.

I'll get a mate who knows their way around a multimeter to try that out LeeDude.
Kenny, I hadn't thought of that, I'll take a look at it and see if there's moisture inside.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom