Base camp and Mapsource

michaelh

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
Just received a new 395 Garmin and am attempting to plot some routes in France using Basecamp. In the UK I have detailed mapping of roads right down to small street level, in France I can only access main Roads no details of towns, residential areas , mountain passes. Therefore no use for routing. I've obviously missed something in setup ,but what?

Have used 550 with mapsoursce with good results, can mapsource be used with 395, I can't find a way?

Thanks

Michael

If you have the maps on your device then you can import them into base camp, otherwise you need to buy them is my understanding. Some people have found they have "north" and "south" EU maps but have not fully loaded or imported them - worth checking.

James

First ensure you have the latest version of garmin express installed on your PC/MAC then download the latest map set from garmin, you will require a life time maps subscription(LM) that may have come with your unit or you may need to purchase a one time download (not worth it imho) or a LM subscription. Once this is sorted, use the latest version of express to download and install your maps to either PC/MAC and unit or just the unit or just the PC/MAC the choice is yours.

I assume that you do not have the full mapset loaded into BaseCamp on your computer? If so, I assume that you are plugging your GPS device into your computer, BaseCamp is then drawing whatever maps are present on the device through onto your computer.

If the above is correct, it's quite possible that:

1. The GPS device does not have the maps for 'Europe South' loaded. This is known as Nutty's Law. Europe South in Garmin's world starts at about Calais.

2. The device does not have the French maps loaded

3. That the GPS device has only UK maps loaded

There is an easy way to find out:

1. Turn on BaseCamp on your computer, without the device connected. Do you have detailed maps of Helsinki? Paris? London? Lyon? Rome?

If yes, which ones, if any?

2. Now connect your device, wait for the BadeCamp software to draw the device's maps across and repeat. What's the answer this time?

Mapsource will work with your device.

go to volume screen, press and hold top right corner of screen and you will get a new menu screen. Scroll down to find "MTP setting", set to "Mass stoage"

The device will now work with both Basecamp and Mapsource.

John

Whilst that's an excellent plug for Mapsource, it won't help the OP get his detailed maps for France, which (for one reason or another) seem to be missing.

But the OP asked the question and previous replies, including your own, ignored that part of this post. I saw that the missing maps part had been covered and filled in for the more forgetful amongst us by answering the remaining question

John

Thanks John for your response re Mapsource.

Result with Basecamp. Reloaded mapping to 395, plugged in to PC, opened Basecamp and detailed mapping available across Europe. Previously it stopped around Belgium.

Now on to the routing!

Thanks again all for your help.

Michael

But the OP asked the question and previous replies, including your own, ignored that part of this post. I saw that the missing maps part had been covered and filled in for the more forgetful amongst us by answering the remaining question

John

Indeed, he did.

Apologies.

Indeed, he did.

Apologies.

I think it is easy for Mac users to forget that PC users have a choice here. I don't own a Mac so I can't really comment on using Basecamp on a Mac but I believe that it does work better on that platform. I certainly don't decry those people who use Basecamp and are happy with it. My choice is to remain with Mapsource as it does everything I need and I find it easier to use than Basecamp. This especially applies to using it on the small notebook computer I carry whilst travelling. I need three hands to drag a route in basecamp unless I also carry a mouse (which I don't need for any other application) I like the way Mapsource automatically makes my via points unanounced and the way it shows up points placed just off the road making them easy to spot and correct. I also prefer the way Mapsource stores my routes and the ability to have more than one Mapsource window open at once.

I am sure Basecamp does all sorts of wonderful things, it is just that I don't need any of them.

John

The has been a problem with Garmin in 2017. Europe is in two files.
We had many Nav VI for work and also a recent nuvicam replacement (original went grey after 14/12) that had this problem.

They are shipped without South Europe map - I led 12 riders off the chunnel and was frantically poking the gps going down the A26 as I had no mapping. Fortunately I had a nav IV backup.

As said, you can (eventually) reload map via basecamp/garmin express, BUT your mac OS needs to be 10.10 at least. I could manage that on the mainframe, but not on my mac air. PITA obsolescence. I don't want to replace the air as a; it still works, and b; thanks to brexit they are now too damned expensive.

It strikes me the packaging on the GPS is misleading as it clearly shows mapping for all europe, and that is not the case.

I'd rather have France 2012, than no France map.

One more peace of help, please.
I have been constructing some routes using route points and can't seem to find a way of deleting the route between last two points.
Each attempt deletes the whole route.
Problem arises if I miss plot the route on the wrong side of a dual carriageway/ motorway the route takes me to nearest exit, u turn and head off in wrong direction.
I know why it happens just want to remove the error.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Michael

using base camp or mapsource go to edit at the top on the tool bar, and click undo to the desired point you wish to return to.

Magnify the route down to road level and then pick up the errant point and place it where you want.

You can play the route (at high speed) by clicking the scroll wheel at the bottom left of the route info and "play route". Any reversing due to misplaced waypoints are usually obvious.

Back
Top Bottom