Assault on battery

Just started mine after a month not used. Started immediately no problem exactly as always. The exchange reconditioned motor is not as rapid as the original but it was just the same on Odyssey battery.

Just started mine after a month not used. Started immediately no problem exactly as always. The exchange reconditioned motor is not as rapid as the original but it was just the same on Odyssey battery.

Good news, but out of interest, what gets reconditioned in the starter? Is is just new brushes and a spring clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends what is needed, but there can often be carbon scoring on the contacts within the Starter motor

Which is non serviceable these days! :rob Not like Ye Olde Bosch Airhead starter!

Good news, but out of interest, what gets reconditioned in the starter? Is is just new brushes and a spring clean?

That's another story. I presume the motor windings and brushes are replaced, but my new starter is also weak on hot start though not as bad as the old one. I'll be calling Motorworks to discuss the issue.

My original starter flung the engine over fine hot or cold. It began to get weak only on hot start but coped. I killed it trying to start the bike when it appeared to have run out of fuel but was actually a pump problem. The next day the starter clanked but would not turn the engine. Jump leads were no better.

I bought a recon starter,

TBH all looks new - :)

I had an oppo who used to work for an autoelectrical reman unit.

They basically stripped and rebuilt every unit from parts-

it was too time consuming to measure bearings, cases armatures etc.

All parts were stripped to component level -

Inspected for replacement suitability

bearings removed and replaced --- (huge mark up on bearings from dealers!!!)

Cases washed and steam cleaned / shot blasted / painted as required

Commutators / windings solenoids etc , checked for electrical ok ness ;) - generally junked though and then rewound.

New brushes & springs fitted

reassembeld & tested.

I only know of one place that rebuilds rotating auto stuff at the moment, the other, a big company closed its walk in repair counter a few years ago

Going back to the 80s a friend of mine reconditioned starters and altonoters and the occasional dinamo. I’d be there on business and if I was waiting for something I’d roll up my sleeves and get stuck in. One day a gentleman calls in with a Lucas ACR ( fitted to almost everything built in England for many years in various strengths). It’s not working says he. How do you know says I. I tested it says he. Show me how says I. He had wired it directly to the battery to spin it. It’s not a dimanio says I and you have blown it. JJH

The magneto on my old Pre Unit Triumph was pronounced dead by an expert. But the bike started and ran fine. I did have plans to epoxy and skim the worn rotor but the bike was sold still running.

I had a car throw up the battery/charge light pretty much at random. Alternator was to a local electrical rebuild expert. Oh yes it's dead. Rebuilt alternator was refitted and a week later the fault was back. Then I noticed a click like a relay. Checking voltages, sure enough the charge side had a relay that was dropping out. Carefully following the wiring loom found a rubbed wire that was tripping out the relay. All taped up with some padding and the problem went away.

Basically never assume the motor/alternator/whatever is dead until it's been properly tested.

Back
Top Bottom