Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assault on battery

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Assault on battery

Using the bike regularly obviously the starter gets more use. There's no need however to use an Optimate as your battery is not left standing for long periods. They are not perfect and can cook a battery.
    I went for a lithium because costs are now reasonable and they are claimed to last longer.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Quote Originally Posted by Bendy toy View Post
    Using the bike regularly obviously the starter gets more use. There's no need however to use an Optimate as your battery is not left standing for long periods. They are not perfect and can cook a battery.
    I went for a lithium because costs are now reasonable and they are claimed to last longer.
    Would that be the YTZ14S-FP JMT battery for a 2010 1200 GSA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the JMT YB12-FP 240A CCA and 0.855Kg. However prices are very variable so be careful. The next one up gives 290A CCA but cost over £100. Seems a lot when the OEM battery only claims 200A CCA.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lithium-Io...72.m2749.l2649
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Quote Originally Posted by Bendy toy View Post
    I have the JMT lithium. Weight is under 1kg and it costs £65. Cold cranking amps are 240. The >5Kg Odyssey AGM is only 200 Amps.
    The LiFePo starter batteries are not as compact as phone or computer lithiums but they are far safer for engine starting.
    Don't be tricked by their seemingly weedy AmpHour capacity. A lead acid starter battery can only deliver 30% of its charge at full current. A lithium can give all of its charge at full current. So a 4Ah lithium is equal to a 14Ah lead acid or AGM = the same thing.
    Lithiums are not damaged by standing unused but will be destroyed by an Optimate. Over voltage will kill them.
    So, got to Friday evening and what better way to relax than running a few voltage checks...
    Resting battery - 13.4v
    Cold engine start - drops to 6v (!) But starts
    Running on tick over 16v to 17v (!!) Does this indicate a knackered alternator/ regulator?

I wouldn't be happy to connect a lithium battery to this voltage as everything I've read says they die above 15v.....

Assault on battery

That sounds really dodgy.
    The battery seems to have at least one weak cell. I’m surprised the ECU can operate at 6V.
    Running voltage is def too high. Mine shows 14.2 on lead acid 14.4 on lithium.
    Disconnect the bike battery and try it with jump leads to the car battery. That should prove if the alternator is ok.
    It’s possible the weak battery allows the charging volts to surge. But as you say over volts will kill a lithium.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Quote Originally Posted by Arfamow View Post
    So, got to Friday evening and what better way to relax than running a few voltage checks...
    Resting battery - 13.4v
    Cold engine start - drops to 6v (!) But starts
    Running on tick over 16v to 17v (!!) Does this indicate a knackered alternator/ regulator?

I wouldn't be happy to connect a lithium battery to this voltage as everything I've read says they die above 15v.....

Your 'at rest' voltage is high (12.6 nominal)
    Your charging voltage is also high.

Are you sure your voltmeter is okay?

Otherwise - you could be boiling your battery. Any casing distortion?

Hook up a car battery instead of the bike one, and see what you get
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

At that voltage the battery would be getting warm. I’d reckon on blowing bulbs quite often. Try a different multimeter first. Get rid of the optimate. I hate them. Bye the way I ride every day~ and I can’t remember ever replacing a battery. JJH

Ok, the multimeter is toast. Apparently I have some AA batteries that give out 2.6 volts. New meter on the shopping list tomorrow. Watch this space....

Quote Originally Posted by Arfamow View Post
    Ok, the multimeter is toast. Apparently I have some AA batteries that give out 2.6 volts. New meter on the shopping list tomorrow. Watch this space....

Is that each? I can see a q at your door from battery and car manufacturers. JJH

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    Is that each? I can see a q at your door from battery and car manufacturers. JJH
    How many would you like? I'll even throw in a nearly new multimeter......

Let us know how you get on. JJH

Riding most days will give the battery it's ideal life. Starts are easy (bike was used yesterday). Charge will be saturated when bike is first parked so probably never gets into voltage levels were hard sulphation occurs. Alternators also last longer. Disuse, allows the winding cores to rust and crack.

Anyone using bike every other week at weekends and storing for long periods should consider a Lithium or accept that batteries will be consumables. A cheapie replaced every other year will be fine. A lithium makes even more sense when you don't have power to the garage.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

07875 304772
    I'm having similar starting issues when the bike is hot and re-started.....

It's an Odyssey battery and the bike (2010 GSA TC) has 73,000 miles on it....

Starts first time every time from cold, including leaving it for a week..... If I''m out on it and for instance stop for a photo.... and try to re-start it , It almost doesn't go over the first turn of the crank, then bursts into life.....

I've read as much as I can on here, and just checked with a Multimeter.

Engine off 12.6 volts
    Cranking it drops to 10 volts, which was consistent in the garage for 5 attempts, and none of them showed the symptoms I've been getting out on the road

14.4 volts when ticking over .......

Odyssey batteries have been known to cause problems with PowerCommanders (mod 3) on starting due to the droop characteristic of the battery which can drop the voltage below that which the PC3 requires. (If I remember correctly - 9.0v)

My problem was only resolved by fitting an OEM BMW battery.

So - could the Odysey be dropping the voltage enough not to activate the starting circuitry on the GS?

See if that works .....

07875 304772
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackal View Post
    Odyssey batteries have been known to cause problems with PowerCommanders (mod 3) on starting due to the droop characteristic of the battery which can drop the voltage below that which the PC3 requires. (If I remember correctly - 9.0v)

My problem was only resolved by fitting an OEM BMW battery.

So - could the Odysey be dropping the voltage enough not to activate the starting circuitry on the GS?

it was over 10v on each crank ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
    it was over 10v on each crank ....
    Yup, I know - but sometimes a DVM isn't quick enough to catch that momentary dip.

Only offering it as a possible avenue. If the Odysey is proven to be healthy - Swap the Odysey for a standard battery and try again.

Al

See if that works .....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast