Thread: Battery counter reset

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Battery counter reset

I am about to replace my battery on a 2011 MacBook Pro.

Does the computer recognise a new battery and reset the counter to zero or do I have to reset it ?

Also any recommendations for the battery to replace it. I don't want a inferior one and there a lot of choice out there.

Thanks

Well no response to my post that is a surprise ! I have a battery on order, I went for a match for the original spec mAh, kw and cells all the same. Its not a Apple labelled product as they are rather a lot of cash.

I will self update when the battery arrives on wether the counter resets itself. I have used apple products since the 1st gen iPad and this is the first battery I have had to replace. The MacBook is 6 years old and its the original battery so well pleased with its life.

Beaky Farkler Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I have the same macbook and I have to confess I haven’t a clue what a battery counter is.

I am interested in knowing this as well. I have a non-apple battery in my 2011 MBP and the battery cycle count reads at #1 all the time. I have an intermitent problem where the mac just turns off, and my Apple guy says its because the battery is fecked and he recommended never using a non-apple product as they tend to be shit.
    Regards,

LMG

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyBMW View Post
    I have the same macbook and I have to confess I haven’t a clue what a battery counter is.
    If you go to the apple logo, click on it and highlight the first section. About this Mac. Whilst it is highlighted, press the option key. It will change from "about this Mac " to "system info". Whilst still highlighted press enter. This should take you to a "hardware" click on power. You should get to see another page with battery info on it. Under the sub heading "health" you have a battery count and a condition indicator.

For example my count is 481 and the condition is marked "service".

There are other ways to reach the battery count but this is the one I use. You can drop your cursor over the battery and left click. It will give you an indication to the batteries condition.

Hope this helps.

Beaky Farkler Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by steveC View Post
    If you go to the apple logo, click on it and highlight the first section. About this Mac. Whilst it is highlighted, press the option key. It will change from "about this Mac " to "system info". Whilst still highlighted press enter. This should take you to a "hardware" click on power. You should get to see another page with battery info on it. Under the sub heading "health" you have a battery count and a condition indicator.

For example my count is 481 and the condition is marked "service".

There are other ways to reach the battery count but this is the one I use. You can drop your cursor over the battery and left click. It will give you an indication to the batteries condition.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks

Self up date

Well battery fitted and power system calibrated. My battery count shows 6. So it would appear the battery counter is working. The battery "service" icon has disappeared as well. So it cost me £25.99 for the battery. The pack also included 2 tools. 1 for removing the screws on the back of the laptop. (I already had this). Another tri-wing for getting the 2 screws that retain the battery. (this I didn't have)

Care was required when reinstalling the 2 tri-wing screws. The hole pitch on the battery was ever so slightly out and it took a few attempts to get them in correctly. The thread is delicate and probably around 1.5mm. So the chances of cross threading are high.

It took me about 15 mins to fit the battery. If you are so minded you could omit the power calibration part and just operate it as you normally do. All the information I had said you needed to power calibrate on this model. First step is to fully charge and give it an extra 2hrs. 2nd part is to run it down and then leave it 5hours beyond its shut down point. Then fully charge again.

If you do a battery replacement I recommend a clean soft working surface. A way to identify which screws go where. There are different lengths. As for static I just ground myself out on the cold water system just before I started the job. I don't know if it helps but it was the best solution I had.

The battery was the original fitted by apple, so 6 years is not to shabby. I have had this machine for about 1 year. Bought off this site and very pleased with it. I removed the HDD and fitted a Samsung SDD, big difference and highly recommended.

Well battery fitted and power system calibrated. My battery count shows 6. So it would appear the battery counter is working. The battery "service" icon has disappeared as well. So it cost me £25.99 for the battery. The pack also included 2 tools. 1 for removing the screws on the back of the laptop. (I already had this). Another tri-wing for getting the 2 screws that retain the battery. (this I didn't have)

Care was required when reinstalling the 2 tri-wing screws. The hole pitch on the battery was ever so slightly out and it took a few attempts to get them in correctly. The thread is delicate and probably around 1.5mm. So the chances of cross threading are high.

It took me about 15 mins to fit the battery. If you are so minded you could omit the power calibration part and just operate it as you normally do. All the information I had said you needed to power calibrate on this model. First step is to fully charge and give it an extra 2hrs. 2nd part is to run it down and then leave it 5hours beyond its shut down point. Then fully charge again.

If you do a battery replacement I recommend a clean soft working surface. A way to identify which screws go where. There are different lengths. As for static I just ground myself out on the cold water system just before I started the job. I don't know if it helps but it was the best solution I had.

The battery was the original fitted by apple, so 6 years is not to shabby. I have had this machine for about 1 year. Bought off this site and very pleased with it. I removed the HDD and fitted a Samsung SDD, big difference and highly recommended.
    Got a link to the battery you purchased?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
    Regards,

LMG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6000mAh-Ba...72.m2749.l2649

This is the one, no connection with the seller. I just tried match the cell count, mAh, Kw. It seemed suitable. There are many to chose from, some are even cheaper. If you don't have the tools this might be the best option.

Hope it helps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6000mAh-Ba...72.m2749.l2649

This is the one, no connection with the seller. I just tried match the cell count, mAh, Kw. It seemed suitable. There are many to chose from, some are even cheaper. If you don't have the tools this might be the best option.

Hope it helps.
    Cheers. Will give that a go.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
    Regards,

LMG

Forgot to mention when you do the battery exhaust cycle in power calibration. Reset all you power savings mode to the max. This will run your battery down a bit quicker and with a constant drain.
    After the recharge reset your power saving settings or if you have forgot them click on the default box.

When you refit the back cover be sure to correctly align the screws with their threads. Some are angled to the chassis so easy to get cross threaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750