Best GSA Accessory

The Africa Twin isn't a purists off-road motorcycle, but it's a bloody good compromise for us lot. You can switch between machines and not have much weight or geometry changes and still travel on the Africa Twin to 'off-road' sites even if they are 100 miles away or more.

Each to their own but I disagree that a £9k brand new AT is even close to being a "bloody good compromise" for what you want to do.

Each to their own but I disagree that a £9k brand new AT is even close to being a "bloody good compromise" for what you want to do.

Then what would you agree on?

Is the issue the £9k or the bike?

It's a super deal, which I'd consider purely as a rental. Don't suppose its still available? If so, might test ride again (though didn't quite get on with it the first time tbh).

New exhaust on that TB please. The black Akra perhaps. And a Hilltop map. Then sell the AT and get a Tuono Factory...that way you've actually got two completely brilliant bikes instead of one, and a half a one.

Well-trimmed bushes, no moss or weeds in evidence............ :rob

You've prepared that photo - well!

Al:D

Then what would you agree on?

Is the issue the £9k or the bike?

Combination of both.

I think your off-road enjoyment will be hampered by concerns for the shiny new £9k bike unless you're only planning on taking it on some really light trails, in which case you could use the GSA. If you do get the off-road bug, experience from friends and on this forum suggests you'll be looking for something cheaper and lighter soon enough. At which point you'll be back to square one with regards to balancing having to do 100+ miles on road to get to the trails vs. the inconvenience of a trailer or van to get a more suitable off road bike to them.

All of the above is based on my own thinking given that I live near you so appreciate the dearth of any trails (decent or otherwise) near us and the fact I've been through this thought process myself a while ago after me and a few mates did some off-road experiences and wanted more. In the end we ended up just cherry picking a bunch of off-road experiences with bike hire (I can highly recommend you give trials riding a go).

At the end of the day I think the AT is a cracking bike and I hope you get everything out of it that you're looking for. As I said I was close to picking one up too simply because that deal was so good, but that doesn't mean it'll make a good first off-road bike.

Off-road? The DCT AT is the same weight as a GS, FFS!

Well I've just spent the weekend in the Brecon Beacons off-roading on a 1200 GS Rallye, and that was just fine for me and what I want out of life.

Simon Pavey's crew showed me stuff on the GS Rallye that I'll never get to. So nothing wrong with that.

The Africa Twin is just as capable if not more.

I'm not about to grow my hair to shoulder length and start jumping double loops over my feckin house. I'm 50 years old and know my ageing limbs don't heal quickly any more.

I know 3 GSA owners with the same combo.:D

JimmyMac

Yeah... been there and done that. Not with the HP4, but ZZR1400 Performance Sport is the power.... and Daytona 675R has the handling. My days are gone with the Sports Bikes, Superbikes and Hyper bikes. Done the 200 mph thing... and getting home fucked

My Honda VFR1200 was nice as well. Good compromise :)

Attachments

• Bike 2.jpg
    Bike 2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 322
  • Bike 1.jpg
    Bike 1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 309
Combination of both.

I think your off-road enjoyment will be hampered by concerns for the shiny new £9k bike unless you're only planning on taking it on some really light trails, in which case you could use the GSA. If you do get the off-road bug, experience from friends and on this forum suggests you'll be looking for something cheaper and lighter soon enough. At which point you'll be back to square one with regards to balancing having to do 100+ miles on road to get to the trails vs. the inconvenience of a trailer or van to get a more suitable off road bike to them.

All of the above is based on my own thinking given that I live near you so appreciate the dearth of any trails (decent or otherwise) near us and the fact I've been through this thought process myself a while ago after me and a few mates did some off-road experiences and wanted more. In the end we ended up just cherry picking a bunch of off-road experiences with bike hire (I can highly recommend you give trials riding a go).

At the end of the day I think the AT is a cracking bike and I hope you get everything out of it that you're looking for. As I said I was close to picking one up too simply because that deal was so good, but that doesn't mean it'll make a good first off-road bike.

I get that.

I'll see how I get on with it. If I need a much cheaper and lighter bike, that won't be an issue so we'll see. :)

Loving your ZZR Warlord, I've got a pink HP4 Carbon which is almost as shiny, lol.

JimmyMac

Pics or it never happened :D

Yeah, the ZZR was nice... but "Go to Jail, Do not Pass Go, Do not Collect £200"... hooligan bike

I had the HM Quickshifter on mine as well for elbows in and blurry sight experiences. Fast in any gear, any speed, any time you wanted.

94631b76b0bd420af8628427ad7edc33.png

JimmyMac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's nice. Stompgrip fan I see :thumb2

Aye, sore nuts on the brakes get your attention, lol. Got a custom F13k Cancer paint job for my Dad who passed last month from kidney cancer.
Safe riding.
JimmyMac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom