Auxiliary power supply

twostroke49

Reaction score
Can anyone advise if I can power my 590LM from the auxiliary socket on the dash of my GS LC. I'm thinking of butchering the cradle harness to fit a Merit DIN plug for power as I want to be able to move the cradle between bikes without wiring direct to the battery.

Thanks andyscott. I originally thought that the aux socket to the right of the dash would suffice with a Merit DIN plug, but I guess not! The harness is currently out of stock with NN but will wait until stocks are back.

Thanks andyscott. I originally thought that the aux socket to the right of the dash would suffice with a Merit DIN plug, but I guess not! The harness is currently out of stock with NN but will wait until stocks are back.

Hi, as per first post you can wire your sat Nav using the power connector from the dash, just google “hella connector nippy” & it will bring up options for the connector, there’s loads for sale on ebay once you decide on the lead/connector to use.

Good luck..

Depending on how you route your wiring you might find a right angle plug easier and neater, and I think they are also easier to wire up. I've used one to connect a couple of 12V to USB power adapters.

Fred

ELA00016.jpg

Thanks to all of you for your replies. However, I have been told that the Aux socket cannot power the 590 without causing problems and that I would have to wire it through the power outlet under the dash with a wire harness?

I cannot see why?

I agree if your trying to power it into the micro usb lead however I suspect that your butchering the main loom to the 12V socket on your bike. The Zumo won't be any the wiser???

Your idea seems like a good solution to me.

The only issue might be that the positive and negative cables might be too big a gauge to wire into one of the Din plugs mentioned above.

Last edited:
As long as you supply 12V to the correct cable coming out of the Garmin cradle (with the cradle converting it to 5V and feeding it into the satnav) then I would think it is immaterial where you get the 12V from, in which case plugging into the AUX 12 V socket in the cockpit should be fine. I think this socket can supply about 5 Amps, so way above what the satnav would need.

The only trouble might come if the satnav is not turned off and the CANBUS detects a load on the AUX socket after the bike is turned off. I think I read somewhere that this could prevent it shutting off the supply to the AUX socket leading to a rundown of the battery. Having said that, I have two 12V to USB adapters which are both wired into the same right angle plug. These are used for powering my Sony ActionCam when I use it and/or for charging stuff like phone and Sena in my tankbag. This plug is left permanently plugged into the AUX socket, and I have had no problems with battery drain even though these adapters do take some current even when nothing is connected to them.

However, I have been told that the Aux socket cannot power the 590 without causing problems and that I would have to wire it through the power outlet under the dash with a wire harness?

Whoever told you that is mistaken.

Though having it wired directly means you can (i) enter waypoints and faff with the route with the ignition switched off (ii) preserve your DIN socket for other uses like iPhone charging and heated jackets

More expensive I know, but in your situation I would be tempted to have two cradles, one permanently fitted to each bike, if only to save a lot of faffing about transferring the cradle. That would allow you to have the cradles permanently connected to power, either direct from the battery or alternatively on the BMW, by breaking into the circuit which normally supplies the BMW GPS cradle, assuming it is still live if you don't have the GPS prep package installed.

On the other hand, I guess you may just not want the cradle in place if you are not using it, in which case I can see that your idea of powering it from an AUX 12V socket would make it more easily removable.

Can anyone advise if I can power my 590LM from the auxiliary socket on the dash of my GS LC. I'm thinking of butchering the cradle harness to fit a Merit DIN plug for power as I want to be able to move the cradle between bikes without wiring direct to the battery.

Don't faff and feck about. Buy a swcond (second hand) cradle cheaply. Problem solved.

Thanks to all of you for your kind replies to my query. I can confirm that I purchased a right angle DIN plug from NN (thanks Fred_jb) cut off all the unwanted Audio wiring from the Garmin harness, connected the DIN plug to the remaining mains wires, and hey presto it works. I have mounted the cradle on a lockable RAM mount system and now have a working and easily removable cradle and SatNav.

Thanks to all of you for your kind replies to my query. I can confirm that I purchased a right angle DIN plug from NN (thanks Fred_jb) cut off all the unwanted Audio wiring from the Garmin harness, connected the DIN plug to the remaining mains wires, and hey presto it works. I have mounted the cradle on a lockable RAM mount system and now have a working and easily removable cradle and SatNav.

Haha, & that just goes to show there’s more experts on here than in some dealerships..

Glad your sorted..!

Back
Top Bottom