Elefant Rally 2018

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The proper one at Solla rather than the other one at the Nürburgring. Nobody here should need to have it explained that it’s a winter rally in Bavaria so it might be cold at night but that’s the fun of it for most.

https://www.bvdm.de/index.php?id=47&lang=3

I’ve not been for 3-4 years and I’m sorely tempted to go next year so does anyone else fancy meeting up for a few beers once we’re there or dawdling along from the Hook of Holland for a couple of days ride there? My usual schedule is to leave on the Tuesday night ferry, stop overnight somewhere between Wurzburg and Nurnburg then arrive at the site soon after lunch on the Thursday. Lose Friday and Saturday forever then set off Sunday late morning and catch the Monday night ferry back from the Hook.

I’m not certain to go yet and I’m not sure whether to torture my 1190 by taking it on salt coated roads or fire up my outfit and use that instead. A lot depends on the weather but the advantage of the outfit is that I can take more supplies with me :beerjug:

Any interest?

Had this on my bucket list for a few years now. Some mates and I are looking at doing this as 'The Grand Challenge' in 2019. The idea is to spend a maximum of a grand and run what you buy down there and back........with decent breakdown insurance and recovery cover! A quick look on Ebay has had me umming and ahing between a 1978 GL1000 or a late 70's XS650 or a rather boring and much younger CB500. Given the snow, perhaps a DR350 might be more useful?

The first time I went I used a very old K100RS and it was a nightmare after heavy snow made the road from the rally to the motorway close to being impassable. The local authorities clear the roads but only when all the motorbikes that set off early have been picked out of ditches so the best thing to do is to just sit around the site until midday then set off.

Back
Top Bottom