2017 - Right hand heated grip hotter

SiRich

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not a big deal but I could swear the right hand side one gets a bit hotter on the max setting?

Anyone else noticed this?

Probably because you are more aware that you are gripping that side compared to clutch.

If you have access to a temperature sensor you could measure them for comparison.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Left grip is in direct contact with the handlebars and may be losing heat to the bars, this could be why its a bit cooler

Quite common for the right OEM grip to be warmer - the plastic throttle tube under the grip acts as an insulator , which the other side does not have.

The left hand side gets more air cooling as you use the clutch, high beam, indicators you tend to just grip the right hand so it retains the heat, as well as already stated the throttle side is insulated.

Terry

Cheers seems like it's not just a figment of my imagination, was on the motorway and not using cruise so may also be linked to heat retention as suggested, gripping one side more.

The heat seemed to fluctuate too, wind it up to 80mph they were virtually too hot to grip, but lower speeds they weren't always as hot. The mind tends to wander spending a day on the motorways!

Probably because you are more aware that you are gripping that side compared to clutch.

Quite common for the right OEM grip to be warmer - the plastic throttle tube under the grip acts as an insulator , which the other side does not have.

My theory is that the rotating RH grip is thinner than the fixed LH grip so the heat comes through more :)

The left hand side gets more air cooling as you use the clutch, high beam, indicators you tend to just grip the right hand so it retains the heat, as well as already stated the throttle side is insulated.

Terry
four very plausible, subjective theories. Here is mine. I’m left handed and find the left one to be hotter: greater sensory perception in the dominant hand?
Are you right handed?
Alan R

On my new bike it came without sat nav prep and the wonder wheel and when I rode it in for its first service both of the grips were the same ie too hot on setting 2 and both equally hot on setting 1.

Fitting Sat nav and the wonder wheel meant a replacement left grip being fitted, on the way home the left (new) grip was definitely not as hot as the right one, need to get the infra red thermometer out and double check

Just checked the grips temperature with a decent I/R thermometer and on the highest setting the right grip is 12 degrees hotter than the left and on the lower setting it is 9 degrees hotter

It's purely due to the material underneath the grip like the other folk have mentioned. The metal bar on the let grip conducts the heat whereas the plastic throttle doesn't thus the r/h one is hotter.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bikes built for countries that drive on the right are the other way round to the UK bikes, so maybe you could swap the one you don't like with someone on a US forum?

;)

I had the same problem and the dealer was good enough to actually measure the temps on mine when I asked about it. They said it was the different construction of the two sides which causes this, though when measured they weren't as wildly different as they feel. Maybe this is because once you have your hands around the bars that blocks one route for heat to escape, i.e. above the grip, and the differences in construction mean that the alternative route under the grip is much less efficient on the right, allowing heat to build up much more under the right hand. I don't suppose they measure the temps with a dummy hand, so probably don't see so much of a difference just measuring surface temps with the outer surface of the grips open to the air.

As this is supposed to be a premium product, my attitude to this is that if BMW were properly paying attention to detail, they would have allowed for this and made the right hand heater slightly less powerful, or alternatively fitted a similarly insulating layer under the left grip, which would have the benefit of getting more heating effect for less power input. I've now fitted Grip Puppies which seem to reduce the differential a bit, and also make the high setting usable, at least for short spells - it was too hot before.

Back
Top Bottom