Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSer in Mauritania need technical help please

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

GSer in Mauritania need technical help please

Guys:
    Background: Today I rode from north to south of Mauritania (500 kms) in heat exceeding 40 C most of day. Riding 2003 1150 twin spark.

The issue:
    At one point the fuel light came on when the tank was half full. After a stop (not a refuel) it went off.

An hour later, riding at an easy 3,000 rpm, the red battery light came on and the engine cut out. After coasting to a halt, turned off ignition and then I restarted it and it ran faultlessly for the next 140 kms.

There are no signs eg flickering Garmin of a loose battery connection although I shall check this tomorrow when it gets light.

Anyone suggest what might be happening or what I might check?

Thanks for any help.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember some previous threads about R1150GS wiring around the headstock and under the tank chafing and shorting where it is cable tied. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

back from the abyss Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    A temperature of 40 degrees will put any battery under great strain and less able to accept a charge which may explain the symptoms If you have a lead acid type check the electrolyte level if you are able to get at it
    Regards bisbee

Courage isn't having the strength to go on - it is going on when you don't have strength.

'Don't mess with me' Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bisbee View Post
    A temperature of 40 degrees will put any battery under great strain and less able to accept a charge which may explain the symptoms If you have a lead acid type check the electrolyte level if you are able to get at it
    That wouldn't explain the fuel light coming on....

You may have several issues going on....

Check the battery electrolyte level and the battery connections. Try to get hold of some proper contact cleaner (NB NOT WD40!!!) - plus apart the teminal block under the tank, clean and reassemble.
    Thomas! There's a mouse duck in the house!

Thanks all. Will try these out this morning and keep you posted.

You've picked up a couple of transient faults which have occurred some distance apart and have both cleared themselves.

These things are notoriously difficult to find and eliminate.

Sure check the obvious main electrical stuff, but try not to over think it.

My guess is you have picked up something in your fuel which has caused the two faults.

Ian
    2003 R1150GS Twinspark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.....

Dodgy fuel can also throw, sensors off track, you could have had a bit of dirt in the petrol, in them places it is common, had many problems with fuel in them areas, but was driving a 4x4 but stiill the same, so I imagine a bike will be worse, we used to just top up with fuel again and usually problem went away.

Thanks all for your wise counsel...Which I shall follow. Just keen not to end up stranded in the desert but then that's all part of the adventure

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by simondippenhall View Post
    An hour later, riding at an easy 3,000 rpm, the red battery light came on and the engine cut out.

Hi Simon. I'd imagine the exact sequence was the engine cut out and then the battery/alternator light came on.

I'm afraid not much to go on and if it's now all running ok not much use trying to check things.

Do you have a spare alternator belt with you ? If not pick one up before you set off into the desert.
    Any car alternator belt that's 4 ribbed and between 600mm and 615mm will fit and be useful as a spare.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Cheers Neil

If you have been riding without moving off the vertical for a while the fuel light may have come on as a result of only one lobe of the fuel tank being drained. I once had this problem on a long run on a French motorway riding an 1150GS with the standard fuel tank without a crossover pipe. The problem may have disappeared at your halt as a result of moving the the bike on and off the side stand.

So:

Battery connection were/are right
    Levels look OK

So will hunt down an alternator belt (just in case) in the market
    Name:  IMG_8017.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  228.6 KB

Because it looks like it won't get any cooler
    Name:  IMG_8021.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  229.3 KB

Success in at least one respectName:  IMG_8030.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  218.1 KB
    Although I had to go next door for a 600 mm belt

The record of how things are unfolding is here:
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...t=Gael+warning

Quick update: now in S Senegal and having a great time. However had a couple of juddering misfires today which have got me thinking.

Took the battery out again and the levels are all fine.

Took out the plug sticks and they look ok but I have had a few snapping sounds from the older, left hand one at start up, as if it was short circuiting. Both look physically OK and have been replaced in recent years.

Took the plugs out:
    Name:  IMG_8185.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  227.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_8184.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  185.7 KB

Any suggestions to check guys?

Thanks

Simon

No suggestions I'm afraid but here's a chuckle when you get some shade ...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1xEEnKI_Nc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast