clutch pushrod removal/installation

gog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
was hoping to get the gearbox back on tonight after changing the clutch, but needed a new pushrod and it hasnt arrived in time from motorworks. can the pushrod be inserted from the rear of the gearbox with the driveshaft in place, or do i have to wait for it to arrive (probably monday now) before starting to put stuff back together?

bike is a '95 R1100GS, an M97 replacing the M94 which had knackered input splines.

Iirc no. 1150s yes. 1100s, you have to insert the rod in situ with the box. Steptoe will be along to yea or nay soon.

cheers peter. post 48 links to another thread which i've now read through. doesn't say definitively that it's not possible though. ill take the gubbins off the scrap box tomorrow and see if i could insert it after, the rod must surely go right through so if the actuator arm and bellows are off maybe the rod can go in after all.

cheers peter. post 48 links to another thread which i've now read through. doesn't say definitively that it's not possible though. ill take the gubbins off the scrap box tomorrow and see if i could insert it after, the rod must surely go right through so if the actuator arm and bellows are off maybe the rod can go in after all.

Post 58 Gordon! Edited the post to correct the error! Steptoe says ...

When replacing the gearbox insert the clutch pushrod into the diphram spring and slide the gearbox along it (obviously while supporting the weight) into place.
Lever the earth strap with an old screwdriver over the battery box rubber mount as you slide the gearbox back. I do this single handed and it's fairly straightforward.

cheers still unclear whether that's just recommended procedure or 'impossible'. ill clarify tomorrow!

I usually have it all split so that I can inspect and lube whatever needs inspected and lubricated

I fit the push rod into the box from behind and slide the leader into the diaphragm spring and the do the wiggling bit

I do have a proper clutch aligning tool

If I recall you cannot fit the push rod with the swingarm in place on the 1100 (I think)

Hmmm...I wanted to pull out the push rod when I was recently doing the slave cylinder. Just to replace the felt washer to understand if I had any risk of oil leaching along it. I wouldn't budge. I want sure of that's because the diaphragm was holding onto it (wear?) or I just want using the right tool (it's not the the most convenient of places to reach into).

In interested in the answer on this one.

On the 1100 you have to remove the swingarm and clutch operating arm to fit the pushrod from the rear (oh err missus) . When doing a clutch I don't separate the gearbox/swingarm/final drive I remove it as a single unit, hence why I have the pushrod already in place .... On the 1150 it's completely different and I slide the pushrod in after the gearbox has been replace.

thanks for clarifying that neil. the part arrived in time so it went in the normal way. new clutch and gearbox back on and will finish the rest tomorrow :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom