Need some expert advice - 1978 900ss

Oldrat

So much better now Engineer is on ignore
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need some advice from you fine gentlemen.
I already know that there's nothing as expensive as a cheap Ducati...

Well, this one isnt too cheap, but I have chance to buy what looks like a pretty original 1978 Ducati 900ss, one of my favourite bikes of all time. 16k and with the original gold magnesium wheels and contis, just the tyres and seat cover are different, but I'm no exper on these Ducatis.

Its been stood for nearly 15 years, due to the owners ill health rather than a mechanical problem and appears a to be straightforward refresh..Except

The engine doesn't turn though..

a) whats one of these likely to be worth buying as a non runner, Ive seen that the restored prices are ITRO £25-35k.

b) Assuming the worst, whats an engine rebuild likely to cost me?

My niaive guess at costs would be to set aside between £5 for a refresh or up to £12k for a restore. Am I even in the right ball park?

Many thanks

I think you should leave it well alone and let me buy it. �� Yr right there is no thing as a cheap Ducati, engines are the most costly items to refurbish.

Electrics are not too clever either. I'm in Ruislip if I can help in any way let me know. I'm no expert but have had a fair few old Dukes.

Inda

If the asking price is low enough just go for it. There are a lot of those bikes sitting in peoples houses as static displays. I doubt if the owners even know if they are seized or not. If it seized while driving it will hurt financialy. If it’s just from lying there who knows? JJH

I believe engine rebuilds are about 5k, lol yes, I have been on first name terms with breakdown services since owning Ducati's. Lol

Old rat - I have a 78 black and gold that I am currently restoring - pm me your number and I will be happy to chat through my thoughts. A 5k rebuild - I would love to know who is doing them.

For expert advice, I would phone Roy Armstrong at Italsport in Bury.

His pedigree is unbeatable, he's responsible for some serious projects involving Elefants and tuned Ducati motors, he's an ex TT racer and he used to spanner for Mike Hailwood.

So he knows a thing or two about older Ducatis and although he'll probably say that until it's in bits it's pointless speculating, his thoughts might help your decision.

Paul g

Is Roy and Italsport still going? I used to take my 851 to him in the 90s to get the valve clearances shimmed. Last time I looked a couple of years ago it seemed like they had ceased trading.

Hi all, thanks for your prompt and expert responses which I really appreciate.:beerjug:

I've been checking things out with Ray Petty, who seems to know his Ducati onions, (thanks very much Baldrick, I owe you a beer).

Bearing in mind that these can go for crazy money in good order, the asking price is still far too much at the moment - not leaving hardly any value left for much of a repair/resto. So I need to get it down before buying it makes any sense. I need to haggle. Fingers crossed... you see I've got this Ducati 900ss itch..

Unless you have one you'd part with :thumb:thumb

Asking prices are not necessarily what they actually sell for. I was at an auction last year looking at a pretty good original specimen and I think the hammer price was 14-15k. I have an 851 and there is a debate on another forum about values. Dealers are asking 9-10k. We all agree 5-6k is tops for these even with low mileage.

Pay what you think it's worth to you.

If you are buying from the heart it will take a lot of self discipline to walk away.
Buy it if you are going to do the tinkering yourself, they are straight forward except for the engine.

If you're taking a flyer then I wouldn't want to pay more than about £5k. Sound it out on Ducati Forum or give Made In Italy motorcycles a ring. John is pretty much the authority on these bikes, buying and selling them is his speciality. He'll know what it's worth and should be able to give you a few pointers.

Just a quick update for you.

I've not gone ahead with trying to purchase.

I was prepared to spend (what I've concluded from my research) well over the odds for this low mileage totally original bike but was not prepared to pay £20k :eek: which is just too much to ask.

Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom