2018 gs with TFT display review

The problem with BMW comms is if you have a system 6 or system 6 evo the comms fit either helmet.
If you change helmet to system 7 then the comms from the system 6 are different.
Also as far as I am aware you cannot Bluetooth to the TFT and the Navigator 6 at the same time. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
So in a nutshell you cannot have Navigator prompts and use the TFT for Media and phone?
May be a firmware update may address this.
But as others have stated I’m very happy with the TFT.
At the moment I am bluetoothed up to the TFT and when following a route I have no audio prompts from Navigator 6.

Exactly, he ask me to remove Nav 6 from cradle before connect their Helmet.

I already have two helmets Arai Tour X4 and Schuberth C3Pro so I don’t really want to replace my helmets due to a Bluetooth connection

Exactly, he ask me to remove Nav 6 from cradle before connect their Helmet.

I already have two helmets Arai Tour X4 and Schuberth C3Pro so I don’t really want to replace my helmets due to a Bluetooth connection

I agree with you the TFT should be fully open to all Bluetooth comms,I have tried various comms for testing and as far as I am aware the BMW comms are the only ones that let you adjust the volume using the wonder wheel.
We will have to wait and see what is released in the future
Cheers

Nutty,

simple answer, I like the TFT display for speedo, rev counter, gear indicator etc. I don't use a phone or any other devices while riding my bike, so have no interest in Bluetooth connectivity. The time I manage to spend on my bike is the only bloody time I get away from phone calls and I've no interest in listening to music, so being on the bike is an escape from all that shite for me......

Exactly.

It’s not just BMW doing this.

Harley have produced a Bluetooth module for their tourers fitted with the boom box.

And guess what, only sena 20s headsets stamped with the HD logo will receive stereo sound

Have you noticed, the red line on the rev counter starts at 6k when the engine is cold, and as the engine warms up, it rises to 9k..

I ran the tank down today, so got a reserve warning, you can't miss it, it fills the TFT. Anyway filled up, but the tank only took 24 litres... I thought the tank was 30litres.. or is there a 6litre reserve.?

Have you noticed, the red line on the rev counter starts at 6k when the engine is cold, and as the engine warms up, it rises to 9k..

I ran the tank down today, so got a reserve warning, you can't miss it, it fills the TFT. Anyway filled up, but the tank only took 24 litres... I thought the tank was 30litres.. or is there a 6litre reserve.?

The mothership wants you to be safe... :beerjug:

My experience is similar to what you describe. I have an iPhone 7plus, a Schubert C3Pro and a Nav 6. I can link the helmet to the dash ok, and can do pretty much everything save adjusting the volume, but being able to instantaneously pause the music with the push of menu down instead of having to long press the helmet button is a godsend. Now, the nav 6 can be paired, but no sound. I haven't tried to fiddle with the helmet priority settings tho, maybe if set to take GPS before AD2P ?. BUT, as soon as both devices are paired on the helmet, connections to devices gets really spotty, so, for the time being, NAV 6 bluetooth is off.

The vocal directions from the Dash are super crystal clear and loud. I have always found the prowess of my NAV (4,5,6) to be spotty, with voice of bad quality, start of sentence missing and overall poor quality. Awesome job there!

Yeah, the redline takes into account the engine heat, which is awesome. The RS has the same feature and I think all digital displays of the rev have that in BMW range. But it's a nice touch and I like it.

On my GS rally, I have the same issue, just finished the run in, so I made only about 1200km so far, which translates to about 3-4 fill ups, but each time, the reserve warning comes in super early, and I never had to put more than 16 liters out of the 20 the tank can take. I guess either it takes time for the onboard computer to become better at guestimating the reserve, OR, bmw have set it very aggressively, but either 4 or 6 liters reserve seems a bit extreme to me...

Without being cheeky how do you guys manage taking all this in from the dash. I just came up through the toon ( Newcastle) and the western bypass but I wouldn’t dare look at anything but the road one distracted look down and woopsie can’t be far away and on my trips to work in the far north I’ve seen a few of them.

Without being cheeky how do you guys manage taking all this in from the dash. I just came up through the toon ( Newcastle) and the western bypass but I wouldn’t dare look at anything but the road one distracted look down and woopsie can’t be far away and on my trips to work in the far north I’ve seen a few of them.

Well, actually if you think the GS cockpit is distracting, try a RS with GPS mount... That was a true ergonomic blunder and a safety hazard... You actually have to lower your head and loose sight of the road doing so to check the GPS, whereas on the GS, everything is right here in the peripheral vision. I think this is brillant, except, that is, for the lack of proper spacing between both gizmos :)

Rollmops I wasn’t taking the micky it’s just I had a ride on my friends new all singing dancing gsa and he told me all the upfront display details yep for him fine. I’m old and gray and maybe I don’t have the reflexes I had in those far off crazy biking days I had. But a glance at my speedo does me where I’m going destinations well I’m old school and don’t need gps for most of my trips. My young old bud toured through Europe earlier and as a laugh he showed a few of us his gps ( as he called it) this is gospel he pulled out a soggy torn a5 map with the auto routes marked on it. I only got lost once he said. My kind of guy, but then I can navigate (boaty wise)

Photos before and after please :thumb

Apologies for no photos but fwiw real easy job done on mine today in 30 minutes. Remove the four screws and bolts holding the Nav bracket in place. No need to do anymore with bracket. Remove the two black plastic fairing pieces to reveal the holes that the bolts were removed from. There are two at each side of bracket. Get a 10mm drill bit and drill out the hole on each side that is nearest to the front of the bike. Refit the four bolts and lift the bracket to highest position and tighten up. Job done - the Nav is no longer in the way of the top of the tft screen

I wonder do BMW realise HUD is functioning as well. At certain light my speedo is reflecting onto wind screen. Just change angle of wind screen and it could be centred. !!!

Nice and Fat, you are going to catch hell for that post ! :D

Plenty here of this parish, dislike the Missenden Flyer, too geeky, not enough profanity and stupidity for them:blast

I like his work, thanks for posting the link. It does seem, the more you study this, the capabaility of the BMW design completely overwhelms KTM's design.

I watched it, and disagree on the wheel, as I am always knocking the wheel etc as I have small hands, It would drive me up the wall on the main TFT I was forever moving screens because of knocking the wheel. I think it is a great idea to have a button switch control to either so once I have set Sat Nav I would change the control away so I never move the screen.

Same here, always accidentally messed with the joy wheel on the RS, and rather happy with the tft control scheme they devised.

Now, please, illuminated buttons next iteration, just faint glow would be enough. And fix the damn Bluetooth stability ASAP, I can live with not being able to control volume on the bike, or not being able to control playlist next, prev and pause from the headset but I need a BT that connects fast and every single time... As of now, sometimes it works flawlessly, sometimes it takes a couple minutes to connect, and some other times it just bloody won't connect at all... WTF?????

Anyways, just for the basic stuff, this piece of kit rocks, and I'm rather happy with it

Test rode the KTM 1290s with the TFT screen , didn't try to connect things but the overall the concept is rather good and works well.
Pity about the 1290 tho ......

Back
Top Bottom