Front impact - what to check

Jamieboy

Reaction score
10 days ago I had the misfortune to hit a car. Not high speed but annoying as I've hurt my knee coming off.

The impact was about 15-20 mph, me hitting the car (which by that poin t was stationary but unavoidable).

Left a surprisingly large dent in the car but visibly bike looks completely unscathed other than a scratch on the cylinder head.

When I turned ignition on abs warning lights are flashing alternately (it's a 2000 1150 he, so non servo abs). I wondered if this might be the sensor or could be that the impact has pushed the wheel out of line or something - don't really know where to start.

What is the best way to check if the front has been bent by the impact? As I say quick visual didn't make anything obvious.

Any thoughts appreciated as ever.

did the same thing last year , wrote the car off ! the wheel was straight !

forks bent at the top , ft wheel ( very strong ) ball joint on lower arm , lower arm .

didn't realise the forks were bent until 2 weeks later , ball joint bent the arm ( steering was v stiff )

See if you can turn/twist the fork stanchions (chromed legs) around ... you should be able to rotate them in place easily by hand.

If they turn halfway then become stiff or stop halfway ir you can't turn them at all then they'll be bent, also look at them while rotating to check for any "waving".

Check the the front of the telelever, it can distort, and the ball joint for excessive play.

Rock the bars from side to side to check the top yolk bearing.

And the front wheel obviously.

For the ABS issue it could be a lot of things - even just the fact that presumably as the bike went down the wheels were traveling at different speeds.

There's a simple way to check the fault code if you have the means: http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html I have one of the LED things made up if you happen to be anywhere near Kingston and want to borrow it.

Thanks very much for the quick replies all. Funny I went out to check the things Steptoe has suggested and the steering is now very stiff, when it definitely wasn't when I rode the bike around the block immediately after the accident.

Therefore pretty sure something is out of shape! Also found that one of the stanchions turned fine and the other was stuck. Oh well guess it needs fixing then.

make sure to check your brake hoses too, they can get pinched between the telelever and the fork, DAMHIK

Back
Top Bottom