The NC500 by beginners.

Jordash

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My wife and I only started riding earlier this year. Last week we racked up a cool 1800 miles and took on the NC500 in Scotland. It was an amazing trip that we would recommend that everyone try out.

We have a blog to capture some of our trips and there's a series of posts currently being put together by my wife.

If you'd like to see how we got on, keep an eye on this thread as I'll post the links up here.

Thanks.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the world of bike trips. Great story and pics , glad you enjoyed it

Very good I'll be following this one.

On my way up to Ullapool this year I crossed the Bealach in the worst conditions I've ever known and I've been over it a fair few times.
Heading west about 1/2 mile past the summit I came across a guy from Lithuania who had ditched his 1100 Honda over the edge, he and his bike where laid in a heap about 30 feet down. Fortunately neither he nor the bike were badly damaged and after about 10mins there where about 8 of us there and we managed to drag his bike back onto the road, he then set off on his merry way.

All in all I reckon we were about 40 mins getting him sorted. I couldn't believe that none of his 4 travelling companions, who I'd passed about a minute before coming across him, hadn't doubled back to see where he was.

Later that day near Gairloch I came across a head on collision in which both cars where a total write off. Spanish guy had come around the bend on the wrong side of the road. Both drivers air lifted to hospital, reports were that they were OK.

Had several incidents on unmarked roads with foreign drivers or riders on the wrong side of the road.

There are an awful lot of foreign drivers and riders doing the NC500. You need to keep your wits about you.

Well said Wrinkly. It’s something to watch for on the NC 500 and in Scotland generally.
Last time I was up the Bealach I was negotiating one of the uphill right hand hairpins when what turned out to be a German pair passed me...... he on my right, but she, with a face that said she was well outside her comfort zone, on my left. It was a neat trick and nobody came to any harm. I was so surprised my only utterence was “bitte links fahren” but obviously they couldn’t hear.

I know several who have been punted off into the mud by gormless drivers so I can take or leave the pass; but as the OP says, the ride around the coast to Sheildeg is superb.

On my way up to Ullapool this year I crossed the Bealach in the worst conditions I've ever known and I've been over it a fair few times.
Heading west about 1/2 mile past the summit I came across a guy from Lithuania who had ditched his 1100 Honda over the edge, he and his bike where laid in a heap about 30 feet down. Fortunately neither he nor the bike were badly damaged and after about 10mins there where about 8 of us there and we managed to drag his bike back onto the road, he then set off on his merry way.

All in all I reckon we were about 40 mins getting him sorted. I couldn't believe that none of his 4 travelling companions, who I'd passed about a minute before coming across him, hadn't doubled back to see where he was.

Later that day near Gairloch I came across a head on collision in which both cars where a total write off. Spanish guy had come around the bend on the wrong side of the road. Both drivers air lifted to hospital, reports were that they were OK.

Had several incidents on unmarked roads with foreign drivers or riders on the wrong side of the road.

There are an awful lot of foreign drivers and riders doing the NC500. You need to keep your wits about you.

I seem to remember a few years back a German biker lost his life on the wrong side of the road in that neck of the woods .

We crossed Bealach na Ba in July this year in almost perfect weather. I can only imagine doing it in 60mph winds and applaud you for making it. I highly recommend Skye, which is, imo the most beautiful place in the world. Fortunately for me, my lovely wife wants to go there again on the bike, so another trip will be planned :thumb2

Check the blog post for an image of the tracks, unfortunately I don't think we have gpx tracks, not sure if they're easy to create from Google maps.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I was up in Applecross a couple of weeks ago, glorious weather and prior to that February with snow on the road. I was very disappointed the last time I went up, it has become a commercial honey pot. what with art gallery, cafe and air stream selling stuff. I understand and do no begrudge anyone making money but it is a bit busy these days. The place is still stunning when you block out all that stuff and look out to sea with a pint......I will have to stick to my snow covered crossings.

Good write up and welcome to the world of motorcycle traveling

The NC500 now very popular with the one make car clubs ... driving like feckin' idiots, four feet from each other, like a long serpent spreading over half a mile in length:eek:

They will not put their nearside wheels off the tarmac for any reason whatsoever ... you can be stuck in a passing place for half an hour while they all get past.

I think, for the most, the NC500 is over rated ... some of the best motorcycling roads are away from it, hugging the coastline ... like 'The Wee Mad Road' :D

Pay a little extra and go do the Wild Atlantic Way of Ireland :aidan

:beerjug:

You missed the bit about his mates getting their phones / cameras out once they saw he was OK! :D.

Back
Top Bottom