Cat removed-stink of fuel?

brightonmark

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, Just replaced my Catalytic converter on my 1150 with a Remus Y piece (thanks Stujw70), now when i give it berries it stinks of unburnt fuel. Bit of popping on the overrun. Can i fix it? Improve it? Any help? Cheers, Mark

Popping could be due to a leak at one of the joints you've disturbed.

I think they all pop on the over run. Mine did it and it was well sealed etc.

Quite like the popping, only mentioned it as it is a new symptom with the non burnt smell of fuel thing. Quite a strong smell of fuel when riding hard/flat out. Cant be helping my consumption eh?!
Also first time GS owner, went to check my plugs, you guessed it, couldnt get the caps off., nothing in the tool kit. Any ideas? Motorworks? Nippy's? Cheers.

single spark or twin spark either way yes there is a special tool to get the plug caps off or if it a twin spark they are coil packs,but either way long nose pliers and a piece of wood like a hammer shank to get some leverage horizontally ,maybe a squirt of wd40 down the gap as well

If it's a twin spark, then two large, flat blade screwdrivers work a treat and damage nothing.

Use then as levers lodged into the groove that runs around the top of the coil stick top (the plastic part). Used opposite each other, you prise out the stick with even pressure

Quite a strong smell of fuel when riding hard/flat out. Cant be helping my consumption eh?!.

I cant help thinking that if you are riding hard/flat out you are not smelling unburnt fuel from the exhaust (as you will always be in front of it, and any vapour will be tailing away well behind you) rather its more likely a fuel leak from the tank/engine area which is excaberated by the more aggresive riding..........

I cant help thinking that if you are riding hard/flat out you are not smelling unburnt fuel from the exhaust (as you will always be in front of it, and any vapour will be tailing away well behind you) rather its more likely a fuel leak from the tank/engine area which is excaberated by the more aggresive riding..........

The smell stays with the bike as I slow, I’m thinking unburnt fuel won’t leave as vapour through the zaust. But thanks for the post. I will recheck my joints and maybe ride on quarter throttle everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question is, are we talking a raw fuel smell, or just poorly combusted hyrdo-carbons. We have all forgotten the exhaust gas vapours of the pre-cat era. Just drive behind say a classic E-Type for a few miles.

Sounds more like a back draught issue to me - I get it on my Electraglide in some wind/weather conditions. Is the OP running a big/high screen that might exaggerate the issue?

The question is, are we talking a raw fuel smell, or just poorly combusted hyrdo-carbons. We have all forgotten the exhaust gas vapours of the pre-cat era. Just drive behind say a classic E-Type for a few miles.

Sounds more like a back draught issue to me - I get it on my Electraglide in some wind/weather conditions. Is the OP running a big/high screen that might exaggerate the issue?

The problem presented on the first serious ride after the cat removal so I’m starting there. Never any fuel smell before. Thanks for your answer.

The problem presented on the first serious ride after the cat removal so I’m starting there. Never any fuel smell before. Thanks for your answer.

Although your E type reminder is a good one. Maybe that’s just how everything smelled pre cats?!

If it's a twin spark, then two large, flat blade screwdrivers work a treat and damage nothing.

Use then as levers lodged into the groove that runs around the top of the coil stick top (the plastic part). Used opposite each other, you prise out the stick with even pressure

Cheers guys. single spark. Ordered some cheap plastic thing from Motorworks (and some new fancy plugs). Will WD40 before I roll my sleeves up.

Removing the cat may very well mess up the air/fuel mixture. Do you still have the O2 sensor in the header?

Removing the cat may very well mess up the air/fuel mixture. Do you still have the O2 sensor in the header?
It plugs into the cat on the 1150... But the Y-pipes should have a hole to fit the sensor also.

It plugs into the cat on the 1150... But the Y-pipes should have a hole to fit the sensor also.

Yes replaced the sensor. Remus Y is pre drilled. Straight swap. It’s running so rich I’m wondering if I’ve fecked something up when I removed/replaced it?!

I'm wondering if you've accidentally buggered the O2 sensor. Can you check the wiring, tho I don't think the sensors are a fan of raw fuel

I'm wondering if you've accidentally buggered the O2 sensor. Can you check the wiring, tho I don't think the sensors are a fan of raw fuel

Yeah, I’m worried too. Will have a fiddle about tmrw.

Yeah, I’m worried too. Will have a fiddle about tmrw.

At least if it is that, it's an easy fix, albeit not such a cheap one.

I'm only thinking this because you say you only fitted the y-piece and it's gone wobbly since then.

Back
Top Bottom