single cam or TC.. much better or not??

Ah lads...... I just bought a 2007 and I was delighted with myself...... now ye have me loosing the will to live!

Sent from a U11

Wheels fall off, front covers rot, what oil should it use, the tyres aren't black enough. What can go wrong?

They are pretty solidly build with some annoying defects but what bike had everything sorted?

Yup.. 2008 on is whereI'm looking.. only question now is GS or GSA ? :rolleyes:

Depends on your Build as much as anything.
With the extra Height and Fuel Capacity the GSA is a fair Lump to manage when she's not rolling.
As I said earlier tho, I like the massive Range it gives me compared to any of the other Bikes I've owned in the last 35 Years of Riding.....and there have been a few!!

My contribution to this discussion: I had a 2006 gsa for 82 000 kms and now done 57 000 kms by 2012 Rallye with the twin cam engine. The main improvement is the more wide and flat torque curve in TC. The drop in torque between 4-5000 rpm in the 2006 bike was irritating. The second fact: TC has been absolutely trouble free. It is the end product of long evolution. But the 2006 was worth every penny, too.

Lähetetty minun SM-A300FU laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I like the Adventure, but my brother has the same bike and wishes he'd taken a GS version. Tank range (at least in UK) is no big deal after all. Both can use the Givi airflow screen and winglets so weather protection is much the same on either.

My SC has needed a rebuilt final drive at 50K (TC final drive should have lasted longer). Mine has a gearbox rattle in neutral. It works fine but fixing it will be costly. The TC gearbox is supposed to have sorted that issue.

Mine has a standard gearbox but some were sold with an optional lower 1st gear. This would be good especially in slow traffic jams where I find the clutch gets a lot of stick.

The OEM engine map is frankly rubbish but a Hilltop remap or AF-IED sorts that out. I still lean towards the remap because it fills the fueling gaps normally created by the ECU map.

I also think the GS is a bit more flickable than the GSA around the bendy bits?.. would this be a correct assumption? also being lighter, you get a better power to weight ratio, so they go a tad better?

Disregarding the fuel range.. the only other advantage I can see is you'll get a bit of protection from the huge tank... but get some propper bike kit on your bottom half.. does this matter.. the GS is still quite a big bike...

Why does your brother wish he'd taken the GS??

I dont think thats a twin cam then, they were 2010 onwards and designated TU. got a feeling the MU was in 2008 and the bike went to 105bhp, TU was designation for a twin cam and bike gained a few more ponies to 110bhp.

You really should test ride a few, when i swapped my 2011 GSA for a 2014 GS they were like night and day.

I dont think thats a twin cam then, they were 2010 onwards and designated TU. got a feeling the MU was in 2008 and the bike went to 105bhp, TU was designation for a twin cam and bike gained a few more ponies to 110bhp.

You really should test ride a few, when i swapped my 2011 GSA for a 2014 GS they were like night and day.

So you keep telling me... LOL.. but its all about $... In reality, I don't think I'll use it much.. I wont go to work on it so it will be in the garage most of the time... so whats the point spending £12K for it just to sit there and devalue... May as well get something a bit cheaper that I'll be happy with... The trick is, finding out what that is.... ;)

So you keep telling me... LOL.. but its all about $... In reality, I don't think I'll use it much.. I wont go to work on it so it will be in the garage most of the time... so whats the point spending £12K for it just to sit there and devalue... May as well get something a bit cheaper that I'll be happy with... The trick is, finding out what that is.... ;)

Spose I was just suggesting try a twin cam , single cam etc. If you buy a GS it can open up a new range of riding you might ride it more than you think. I started going touring when I got mine.

Spose I was just suggesting try a twin cam , single cam etc. If you buy a GS it can open up a new range of riding you might ride it more than you think. I started going touring when I got mine.

That's true of this Style of Bike in general in my Experience.
I did plenty of Riding but never really "Toured" until I bought my Triumph Explorer.
Great Riding Position, sat up straight, looking over the Traffic....

My be... but my Son is 12 and we have no-one local to look after him ... so a bit limited.... would prfered the TC.. but I'm told 2008 on are the best, TC or SC.... Its the GS / GSA I'm considering now... only problem being most GSA's have a heap of extras... ABS, ESC, Shock control etc... I'm not keen on that lot...

My be... but my Son is 12 and we have no-one local to look after him ... so a bit limited.... would prfered the TC.. but I'm told 2008 on are the best, TC or SC.... Its the GS / GSA I'm considering now... only problem being most GSA's have a heap of extras... ABS, ESC, Shock control etc... I'm not keen on that lot...
Don't think you'll find Post 08 without TC and ABS (although I may be wrong) but ESA wasn't Standard Fitment.
Incidentally, Post 08 has the Mk 2 ABS and no Servo so no Worries, as long as the Fluids are changed regularly.

Assume you are talking GSA here.. they do exist in GS... even at 2011 ive seen.

Assume you are talking GSA here.. they do exist in GS... even at 2011 ive seen.

No, I was talking GS in general but obviously I was mistaken.
I can't see why you wouldn't want ABS, or Traction Control for that matter if you're gonna be all time On Road though.
I like "Old Skool" but there's nothing wrong with making use of modern Technology when it comes to Safety

No, I was talking GS in general but obviously I was mistaken.
I can't see why you wouldn't want ABS, or Traction Control for that matter if you're gonna be all time On Road though.
I like "Old Skool" but there's nothing wrong with making use of modern Technology when it comes to Safety

That's it.. I am old school... I've never had anything with it on... And its more to go wrong... I know ABS can be taken off.. But can Traction control?.... Better without?.....

That's it.. I am old school... I've never had anything with it on... And its more to go wrong... I know ABS can be taken off.. But can Traction control?.... Better without?.....

Modern TCS and ABS is rarely troublesome in my experience, except on poorly maintained and Servo Systems.
I've had both on Triumph, Harley, BMW and Yamaha and had no Issues with any of them except the 1150GS which has Servo and Mk 1 ABS.
I binned it all off and went back to Basics with that one.
I know it's a big Financial Commitment but sometimes you can think about it too much.
Forums tend to be full of Problems and not Successes.
No one starts a Thread with " This Bike has served me well for 10k Miles with no Issues whatsoever, how lucky am I?"

Agreed.... Still looking.. A few things about... But in no rush��

Back
Top Bottom