Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nordkapp via Adversity....

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Blog Entries
    Well that went well, thank goodness for all the planning eh?

God bless you both & thanx for taking the time to post it.
    Looking forward to hearing more about it on the next brekky do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post

Your RR just makes me want to go back again next year.
    Are you going? When? Keep me posted.....

Quote Originally Posted by paul08 View Post
    So, may I ask: if you had accident/mechancal breakdown recovery insurance, why did the company involved refuse to recover you? Any pointers we should all take note of regarding checking our cover?

The breadth of cover offered is one of the reasons I am with the ADAC

And thanks for your response to my earlier post. Having re-read what I wrote, I should have phrased it better as I did nt want to come across as in your face. I have a long running battle with both myself and SWMBO to pack light and try not to have every possible outcome covered. Two up, the bike is already too top heavy when manouevering etc
    The problem with most european breakdown cover is they have a fixed budget for total recovery costs - in Carole Nash's case this is 2000 euros.... with Northern Norway being very expensive, they calculated the total cost for recovering us and the bike to be in excess of 6000 euros, so asked us for the difference. I certainly wasnt aware of this budget limit before we went, and they didnt mention it when I rang to confirm their cover of Norway before we left.

It is very difficult to pack for a long trip for two people at the best of times - specially as in our case we had to take certain medical equipment with us too. I think the mistake I made was using the top box - we realised we didnt actually need it and could have managed with just the 60lts lomo bag - reducing weight and pack height.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaloy View Post
    Well that went well, thank goodness for all the planning eh?

God bless you both & thanx for taking the time to post it.
    Looking forward to hearing more about it on the next brekky do.
    Thanks Bill.... I'll bore you with more detail at the next breakfast meet.

Are you going? When? Keep me posted.....
    Will do Bill.

I'm flexible on dates etc plus distance and time away (although two weeks is probably max for me at the moment).

Hey fellow Nordkappers
    Thoroughly enjoyed you Ride report ,some cracking pics there .
    I rate the country as one of the top destinations for motorcycle touring
    Here's a pick of mine in 2up camping mode when we went together
    This was stuff for 4 weeks and a full package of camping gear.
    We did find cabins for most of the time
    As you can see we split the stuff and carried 2 Ortlieb 24 L rack packe on top of the panniers, bit awkward for the boss lady getting of n on but she got used to it .
    That's a very interesting issue that has transpired re Carol Nash and the 4000 euros.
    In my opinion that 2k recovery limit should be made quite clear ,and not something that has to be found out about " the hard way "
    All the best to you both
    Sy
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    still no deid

Blog Entries
    Will do Bill.

I'm flexible on dates etc plus distance and time away (although two weeks is probably max for me at the moment).
    2 weeks sounds good. Any chance you might be able to hold off until 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Hey fellow Nordkappers
    Thoroughly enjoyed you Ride report ,some cracking pics there .
    I rate the country as one of the top destinations for motorcycle touring
    Here's a pick of mine in 2up camping mode when we went together
    This was stuff for 4 weeks and a full package of camping gear.
    We did find cabins for most of the time
    As you can see we split the stuff and carried 2 Ortlieb 24 L rack packe on top of the panniers, bit awkward for the boss lady getting of n on but she got used to it .
    That's a very interesting issue that has transpired re Carol Nash and the 4000 euros.
    In my opinion that 2k recovery limit should be made quite clear ,and not something that has to be found out about " the hard way "
    All the best to you both
    Sy
    Hi Sy,
    Many thanks for the comments which are much appreciated. I'll admit to going through your previous ride reports more than once when planning our trip. We totally agree about Norway which is our favourite place to visit on a motorcycle.

We did try using the tops of the panniers to pack stuff on to, but Roz is only 4ft11 and no matter how we tried she couldn't get her leg over the pannier.

2 weeks sounds good. Any chance you might be able to hold off until 2019?
    My original idea was to do maybe two weeks in the Balkerns/Eastern Europe next year (I managed a 10 ten trip traveling to and back from Bosnia in 2012) but this thread got me thinking about Scandinavia again.

Norway in 2019 instead could definitely be a plan mind if you fancy it.

Thanks for a great report Barak. I’m thinking of a trip next Sep doing pretty much the same as you - but hopefully without any major failures to bugger things up. How did you book the huttes? Is is there a website you’d recommend or did you just hunt down places as you planned the route?

Still quite an achievement folks, Well done both of you.

Pisser about the F/D and the insurance crap. But you've soldiered on regardless.

Considerate of you to toast Trickytree too.

Nordkapp is on my list too.

Quote Originally Posted by XPilot View Post
    Thanks for a great report Barak. I’m thinking of a trip next Sep doing pretty much the same as you - but hopefully without any major failures to bugger things up. How did you book the huttes? Is is there a website you’d recommend or did you just hunt down places as you planned the route?
    Thanks for the comments. It's pretty easy to find huttes as pretty much all campsites have available. The problem we found is the tourist season in Norway is quite short and lots of campsites close at the end of August. Most of the hytte on the way back we booked through Booking.com as were unsure where we needed to stop. I'm happy to share details of the camps we used if they fit in with your route.

Cheers, Charles...

Blog Entries
    My original idea was to do maybe two weeks in the Balkerns/Eastern Europe next year (I managed a 10 ten trip traveling to and back from Bosnia in 2012) but this thread got me thinking about Scandinavia again.

Norway in 2019 instead could definitely be a plan mind if you fancy it.
    I certainly do. That would give me chance to get some leave booked and get my pass stamped.

Great write up. I enjoyed that. Well done and thanks for posting.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Deptford Dean View Post
    Great write up. I enjoyed that. Well done and thanks for posting.
    Really enjoyed your write up it bought back many happy memories in June we did a 5664 mile from home near Heathrow to Nordkapp and back - week to get there and 2 weeks home
    I recognised lots of your pics - in 2010 we did another 5538 mile almost to Nordkapp but I bottled it cos I thought I didn't have enough time to get back
    One particular pic made me smile - this one - oddly enough I really loved that little cabin especially the inside
    At least two GSers have stayed there

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast