KTM 1290S ordered. Need advise on options

Travel pack - No idea what this is, sounds like the sort of shite the BMW dealer was telling me I have to put on a GS or the rest of the bike will be worthless come sales time

**See above

Spots - Never found the need for these personally, but I know some are very bright and may be a safety aid

**Like the extra light at night. Although £390 is rather expensive.

Heated grips - essential for me due to riding 10 months of the year and doing a fair bit of touring, also handy in summer at times and saves time swapping gloves.

**Likewise. Love them.

Tank protector - Got one on my 1190, makes sense

**Thought the same.

Headlamp protector - I have always run the gauntlet and in 30 years of biking not had a headlight go (car or bike come to think of it) plus a lot of people I know who have fitted them say their lights are shite with them fitted, so probably cheaper to remove the headlight and put it somewhere safe.

**Ok. That made me laugh. Your right. 340 bikes. Never lost a headlamp. Scrub that off the list.

Rear sprocket - It definitely comes with one of these included

**Looks nice and lasts 3 times longer than standard. They tell me.

Sat Nav mount - Got the wobbly 1190 one, but as I glance rather than stare at the nav I have no big issue with it (and got free fitting when ordering with bike)

**If it’s the SW Mochech type. There great. Had one on my 1290SA.

Radiator protector - Yep, KTM one is reasonably priced, I doubt the radiator is such a bargain.

**Agree.

Sump guard - nothing more than a gravel / dirt track for me, so one of these is just a waste of money and unwanted weight.

**Also Agree. But I have a mint used one. Better on the bike than propped up in the garage. Plus I like the look. Probably have it Powder coated orange.
Only joking. Satin Black.

Bark buster hand guards - Again hand guards are standard fit, why spend any more?

**Again. Like the look. Had them on my 1290SA don’t like any other option.

Akro silencer - A remap will give 50 fold the returns so I would not bother, or wait for a used one to turn up at about half price.

**Yes. Agree. Need to be patient. Should have a mint used one within a few months.

Seats - If the 1290 is as shite as the 1190 a defo, the 1190 Power Parts seats also fit, so if I do get another KTM I would swap mine over.

**Like the look of the heated seats.

Luggage - If not in a hurry wait and see what turns up 2nd hand, if I go for a BMW or Ducati I will be selling my KTM (Metal) Luggage off, typically hard luggage sells for around half new price.

**Agree again. Had all this stuff before and sold it. Only really want a black ally top box for now.

Cheers chaps.
So the list will get longer by the day.

Travel pack.
Spots.
Heated grips.
Tank protector.
Headlamp protector.
Rear sprocket.
Sat Nav mount.
Radiator protector.
Sump guard.
Bark buster hand guards.
Akro silencer.
Seats.
Bling covers.

Have you seen this......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-KTM-1...r-Dashboard-Screen-Protector-AG-/322837369367

KTM do the tank film for the side of the tank, which are reasonably priced, and do a good job. The front of the tank doesn’t need protecting, unless you’ve got a big belly!

The headlight is the same Lexan toughened platinum as the GS, so you shouldn’t need a headlight guard. As KTM don’t do one, they obviously feel the same way.

I’ve got the KTM metal hand guards on mine, which are great as you can interchange the plastic covers if you damage them.:augie

Hold out for a decent Akra second hand somewhere. I’m impressed with mine, but it’s a bit quiet, so I’m getting Remus headers fitted next weekend to assist with the sound. I’m also getting them ceramic coated, so they blend in better.

Oh, and re the luggage, I use a Peli case most of the time, which is perfect for day to day stuff, and a couple of nights away. The rest of the time, I just use Kreiga, which I’m very pleased with. So much cheaper than hard luggage.

Only quick shifter I tried was on the new GS, certainly would not pay another £500 for it, seemed a bit shite to me, as easy to just knock the throttle back a shade and doa clutch-less shift , not sure it would even give another 0.1 seconds on a SS 1/4 mile, and who regularly does 0-130 when pulling away AND feels another 0.1s off that time would be worth £500?

My Ride - does this just tell you the phone is ringing when connected to your BT Headset - which tells you your phone is ringing be, er, ringing - if you can press a button on the screen to answer it I suppose it is a bit easier than pressing the button on the side of the helmet, but again £500 for this?

Hill Hold - Jeez, if you cannot pull away up hill on a motorcycle you really should not be allowed to ride anything more than a 125cc moped.

Motor slip regulation - see above, if you cannot figure out changing down to a gear that will lock the back wheel up is not a good idea you should not be allowed a bike with gears.

If I get a BMW I believe it comes with the QS and has done for a while now, but if I decide on another KTM I think the Travel Pack looks like a waste of money, and seeing as KTM never fit any of these gadgets to demo's I am not prepared to gamble £500 to find out.

Also it seems only about 50% of owners can get My Ride to work properly - so if you end up needing a new phone, sat-nav and BT Headset to get it all working it could cost well over a grand just to answer your phone on the move - which most of us can already do, and if you can't you still need to buy enough kit so that you can before you can use the My Ride anyway.

Seeing as it is an electronic unlock they would be better having it on all demo bikes so people could try, and having it turned on for the first xx days / miles or whatever (maybe up to 1st service) so owners can try it out.

FWIW...on my new to me 2015 1290 SA I had fitted:

> TT top box (I do like a top box) & base plate
> LED spots (which are excellent)
> Evotech radiator guard & bash plate
> Puig headlight protector (cos if I don't have one the h/l will smash ;))
> Sat nav mount

To sort in spring 2018:
> QS
> Dark smoke windscreen
> Possible cat removal

Already in situ were:
> Original handguards in perfect order & don't need to be changed for a bling set :p
> Scott oiler which I see no reason to remove as it works perfectly :D
> Remus titanium hexacone, and IMHO, sounds better than an Akra :green gri
> Heated seats :D
> Heated grips :D
> Engine bars :D

Well put. Thanks for taking the time.

Can’t really afford to spend more money on top of what the basic bike costs. Can always find it. But living and other bills get in the way. No point having a blinged up bike. Then no money money left for petrol. So perhaps see how I manage without for a few months.

Just stick to a few basics like crash bars. Heated grips. Radiator protector. Sat Nav and mount. Top box.

Do you get Quick shift up change as standard equipment?

Can’t really afford to spend more money on top of what the basic bike costs. Can always find it. But living and other bills get in the way. No point having a blinged up bike. Then no money money left for petrol. So perhaps see how I manage without for a few months.

Just stick to a few basics like crash bars. Heated grips. Radiator protector. Sat Nav and mount. Top box.

No quickshifter at all as standard.

The KTM one is much better than the GS version and MSR is great too. I would seriously get the Travel Pack if you can .

The power parts comfort seat worked really well for me - though they are about 1cm higher than standard. I really struggled to find a screen setup that worked - I suspect something with an MRA Xscreen would do it.BUMOT luggage is wide! I’m using soft luggage now. The cruise control is crap compared to bmw, rad guard is only a few quid and the oem version is really all you need unless you’re desert racing. A front mudguard extender helps, and the fill in panels below the seat keep some of the heat off - again affordable from ktm. I’m not sure if the one you’re getting has the insulated exhaust down pipe in the rear cylinder? If not worth a look as it does keep the heat down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If you want to save money, seriously consider the Pelicase. This one was around £100.

Attachments

• F8C69C12-BA51-4C62-9F59-50915C951433.jpg
    F8C69C12-BA51-4C62-9F59-50915C951433.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 421
I have the HUGE KTM Aluminium Panniers and top box, the top box is great (The KTM Metal stuff is just Givi Trekker Outback)

The problem with the 1190 / 1290 bikes is the huge sticky out exhaust which means any hard luggage will either be really wide or have virtually no capacity on exhaust side, the plastic stuff is narrower, but still wider than a GS with the panniers at max size and the Metal Stuff is like trying to filter in a small car. But I doubt the plastic stuff would be much better.

For touring with the Mrs the larger luggage works well, she gets the 48L, I get the 37L and we can both do whatever we want with our top boxes (Spare gloves / Visor / room to store lid when stopped)

I can do a 3-4 day trip with just the top box, and recently bought an Oxford Products dry bag jobbie (50L) which is great and would probably be enough for any solo trip combined with the top box, the upside is it allows filtering and is better when using really narrow roads, the downside is it is not as secure and takes a bit more effort to put on and off compared to throwing an inner bag into a pannier each morning, but for anyone not doing a lot of touring with a lot of stuff I think panniers are probably not worth the bother.

Interesting comment about KTM QS being better than BMW one, but why don't KTM put it on the demo bikes, especially as it would cost them absolutely bugger all to do so?

KTM (and their dealers) still seem light years behind BMW on this kind of thing, got "as long as you want" when asking at BMW test ride, and about 30 minutes on the KTM - by the time I got away from the 30 and 40 limits and onto the open road I managed about 5 minutes on a dual carriageway before having to turn back, never made it to any of the roads I wanted to test the bike on.

If someone wants me to part with almost £15k for a bike that I can only try for a few minutes and lacking a load of features I might want they are going to be very disappointed.

KTM (and their dealers) still seem light years behind BMW on this kind of thing, got "as long as you want" when asking at BMW test ride, and about 30 minutes on the KTM - by the time I got away from the 30 and 40 limits and onto the open road I managed about 5 minutes on a dual carriageway before having to turn back, never made it to any of the roads I wanted to test the bike on.

If someone wants me to part with almost £15k for a bike that I can only try for a few minutes and lacking a load of features I might want they are going to be very disappointed.

Why didn't you ask if you could have it for longer? :nenau

Nick, definitely get the quickshifter.It’s brilliant.
Never need the clutch unless coming to a junction or moving off in first .
I can also recommend Pivot Pegz though obviously not a necessity.KTM sell them as a power part.
My Ride is good but some struggle with connection depending on your helmet/comms etc.
Schuberth C4 works very well with it.
Quite a few seem to prefer the screen from the R to the OE screen on the S.
You’ll love the bike though,even if the R is better !

Bumot luggage works very well,though I hear the KTM stuff is better than the shite they sold with the 1190s.

And Hilltop gives a huge midrange boost

I understand the electronic extras are all there but not switched on unless you pay extra for them. Has anyone asked Geoff if he's able to turn them on when waiving his magic wand over the engine mapping ?

I have the HUGE KTM Aluminium Panniers and top box, the top box is great (The KTM Metal stuff is just Givi Trekker Outback)

The problem with the 1190 / 1290 bikes is the huge sticky out exhaust which means any hard luggage will either be really wide or have virtually no capacity .
Get a wings short exhaust and you can use holan nomad panniers, 2 x 31 / 38/ 45 ...

I'd be very careful about changing out the headers, I was having my bike serviced today and the service guy told me about a 1290 that was a couple months old and had bent a valve, ktm refused the warranty claim, after plugging the bike in they were able to access the rpm data on the ecu and stated the bike had been over-revved, leading to bending a valve, customer was left with a £900 bill on a brand new bike that's Ready to Race

I had a touch when I got mine, and had asked for QS, Heated grips and luggage, and that was about it. For some reason the mechanic got muddled and I ended up with all of the above as well as KTM my ride, HHC, tank bags etc!

Probably got about £600 in extras, and when they realised their mistake it was all on there! (I agreed to pay a notional fee of £70 to it ..).

KTM My ride is actually quite good. Although I probably wouldn't buy it with my own cash, now I've got it I use it all the time - sync the phone to the bike and flick through my music on the dash board. I would never buy HHC either, but now I've got it for free ... works pretty well! Certainly pretty handy when you're two up with all your luggage on an off camber alpine junction, so I'm not complaining!

:thumb2

I'd be very careful about changing out the headers, I was having my bike serviced today and the service guy told me about a 1290 that was a couple months old and had bent a valve, ktm refused the warranty claim, after plugging the bike in they were able to access the rpm data on the ecu and stated the bike had been over-revved, leading to bending a valve, customer was left with a £900 bill on a brand new bike that's Ready to Race

What have headers got to do with over revving? And......don’t the bikes have Rev limiters? I’m confused.....

Andres

What have headers got to do with over revving? And......don’t the bikes have Rev limiters? I’m confused.....

Andres

I'm pointing out that ktm are not quite BMW when it comes to warranty issues, they have a new bod and he's really keen to deny warranty claims if you have made messed with your bike.

Bike was at leisure trail.

Back
Top Bottom